Husqvarna 262 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper650

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Husqvarna 262.
The owner lives just far enough away that the Husqvarna would have to be shipped to me. My question is was there a 262 and 262xp? And this one has a metal hand guard chain brake. Were the metal brake handles on early are late models? He tells me he is the original owner, bought new about ten years ago and only used one year.

Last edited:
There was a 262 and a 262xp. Both are the same, but use a different piston, muffler and clutch. Both are darn good saw's. A metal brake would indicate an earlier one.

I believe what you are looking at is a 162. There was not a 262, but a 261 along with the 262XP, with the differences wiggles mentioned.

attachment.php

I believe what you are looking at is a 162. There was not a 262, but a 261 along with the 262XP, with the differences wiggles mentioned.

attachment.php

:agree2: That was the first thing that struck me as well, when I saw the initial post.

No 262s had a metal brake handle.

It is higly unlikely, but there just may be a possibility that someone fitted a cluch cover/brake from an older 154 on a 262xp. :confused:

Last edited:
My 262XP has a metal brake handle and I bought it brand new.
Cool so the million dollar question is did you buy ten years ago or twenty years ago?

The one I was looking at you just can't read the numbers in the picture. And the seller is going through a divorce, he seems to have larger troubles then selling an old chainsaw. He is balking at shipping or even doubling checking numbers for me. Funny he had it listed on CL and then day after I wrote the number down his ad expired.

Cool so the million dollar question is did you buy ten years ago or twenty years ago?

The one I was looking at you just can't read the numbers in the picture. And the seller is going through a divorce, he seems to have larger troubles then selling an old chainsaw. He is balking at shipping or even doubling checking numbers for me. Funny he had it listed on CL and then day after I wrote the number down his ad expired.

I know it was more than 10 years ago. I want to say that it was around 1991 or 1992. For some reason those stick out.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that if the break band goes, you will have to buy a aftermarket (off ebay) break assembly. I have one waiting to go on the 262XP right now. They don't have the break bands available any more. Just a heads up.

I wonder if you are confusing the break handle with the clutch cover. I have seen 262XP's with metal clutch covers (most seem to have the plastic like mine however) but I agree with Troll that they all had plastic break handles.

I'll try to get a picture of mine tonight. It has a metal break handle like the 162 pictured above.

Looks like I found a 262XP

Well the fellow that had a nice 262 would not ship it out.
And the forest is closed for two more months.
But it appears I will have myself a 262XP once the forests open up.
You never really know when it comes to ebay though this ones shows well for the little pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270436041831

If I had waiting one more second to bid I could of saved twenty dollars :cry:

The husky 262 is the gorgeous blonde who asks you to go skinny dipping.

Even if it doesnt work out, its just worth just seeing how it goes.

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

The 262xp is the saw that the Stihl 361 was designed to try and beat.
Too bad Husqvarna corporate lost thier friggin minds and replaced it with an ugly betty.

Finding a good one used is near impossible, and a good one used at a reasonable price is impossible. LOL!!

I'd make the drive, buy the saw, and buy the guy a beer.
He's losing his wife, and losing a forever saw to boot.
That's gotta hurt. Poor bastard.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Too bad Husqvarna corporate lost thier friggin minds and replaced it with an ugly betty.

Finding a good one used is near impossible, and a good one used at a reasonable price is impossible. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've ran a muffler modded 346 for years and just bought a 262...Big change for better! I'm hooked.:clap:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

So true. The 262xp is one of the best power-to-weight saws around. It has to be one of the best saws Husqvarna ever made.

Eleven hundred miles:jawdrop:And that is just one way

CRAP!!!

So you're tellin me that he might only be 800 miles from me?

Gimme his address and we can have a race, you have further to go but you'll be starting uphill so it evens out. LOL!!

Maybe he will ship the thing for half and agree to inspection?

Seriously. 262XP's are worth a quest.

Possibly one of the gang here is near the guy and can help out or somethin'.
Can't hurt to ask right?

Best of luck to ya!
Dingeryote

I gave the owner a couple of weeks and called him again.
He went and checked the serial numbers for me.
It turns out the saw is a 1983 266SE.
He says he bought it new and used it for a few years cutting firewood for himself.
Then it took up a spot on some shelf for many years.
The owner is willing to ship it now.
Just I am starting to think a few better pictures or a compression test sure would be nice.
He told me the saw went to the dealer for a tune up just a couple months back.
Unless I can talk me down a little the whole package with shipping is close to $250.
Is a 26 year 266SE worth buying site unseen?

I gave the owner a couple of weeks and called him again.
He went and checked the serial numbers for me.
It turns out the saw is a 1983 266SE.
He says he bought it new and used it for a few years cutting firewood for himself.
Then it took up a spot on some shelf for many years.
The owner is willing to ship it now.
Just I am starting to think a few better pictures or a compression test sure would be nice.
He told me the saw went to the dealer for a tune up just a couple months back.
Unless I can talk me down a little the whole package with shipping is close to $250.
Is a 26 year 266SE worth buying site unseen?

Compression test would be the best bet. If it checks out and is in really good condition,I would say it's a pretty good deal-shipped. Some may tell you don't buy it,it's too old etc, for $250.00. The 266 is a great saw. Like alot of older Huskys/Stihl's, a bit heavier than some of the newer stuff,but better build. I bought one used awhile back and the thing is rock solid. It fires right up,re-fires easy,cuts through whatever I throw at it. Love using it. Same bore as the 268XP. I also have a 272xp and there is not a whole lot of difference. If you get it, update with you impressions.

I would be cautious here, especially at that price. Some parts for that saw are NLA. As an example, you can't get a new carb. (certainly a concern for a saw that's been sitting on a shelf for that long) You can buy one that will work. but you have to change the throttle shaft and link along with the idle set up. I'm not too sure you can order a muffler either. (And a 268/272 muffler will fit on the cylinder, but not under the top cover.) IMO, there's so many saws out there, that you should pass on any deal where you may have some doubts.

Back