Husqvarna 272xp Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to modify my muffler on my 272xp, but I noticed that the deflector is welded on and the muffler itself is one welded unit. The only thing that you can remove easily is the spark screen. What would be my best bet to modify the muffler? Should I grind off the deflector and open the exit hole up, and then attach a new husqvarna deflector back over the hole? Or, should I leave the factory exit alone, and just add a new hole in front with a new deflector, creating a dual port? Which would look better? I don't need to take the muffler apart because there are no baffles or anything inside, just a hollow can.

On my 350, I had the top exhaust exit covered up, and welded, then drilled a hole in the front and put in a screen and a small tube, mostly just for looks. Because the muffler was welded together.
Did a search not reveal anything? I am pretty sure there are some 272s on the DIY muffler mod sticky.

I want to modify my muffler on my 272xp, but I noticed that the deflector is welded on and the muffler itself is one welded unit. The only thing that you can remove easily is the spark screen. What would be my best bet to modify the muffler? Should I grind off the deflector and open the exit hole up, and then attach a new husqvarna deflector back over the hole? Or, should I leave the factory exit alone, and just add a new hole in front with a new deflector, creating a dual port? Which would look better? I don't need to take the muffler apart because there are no baffles or anything inside, just a hollow can.

What I did on my 2153 was to take a dremel with a long carbide bit and enlarge the existing hole under the deflector. That way it still looks stock and you can reuse the old spark screen. It took me about 15 minutes to do it. I'll post some pictures tonight.

:cheers:
Mike

On my 350, I had the top exhaust exit covered up, and welded, then drilled a hole in the front and put in a screen and a small tube, mostly just for looks. Because the muffler was welded together.
Did a search not reveal anything? I am pretty sure there are some 272s on the DIY muffler mod sticky.

I did a search first and found nothing. Mine has the clutch side exit. It looks like this.
503_59_92_05_L.jpg

What I did on my 2153 was to take a dremel with a long carbide bit and enlarge the existing hole under the deflector. That way it still looks stock and you can reuse the old spark screen. It took me about 15 minutes to do it. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Mike

That would be great. I don't know if I will be able to get at tool in and under the stock deflector though. I have a dremel with several bits.

Figured you did a search. Hmm. Thinking... Tri's idea is nice. But welding a deflector back on is a possibility. Doesnt most of everybody use the 288 deflector because it can be screwed on with sheet metal screws?
Just make sure to blow the shavings out, would hate to hear about a ruined 272:cry:

Figured you did a search. Hmm. Thinking... Tri's idea is nice. But welding a deflector back on is a possibility. Doesnt most of everybody use the 288 deflector because it can be screwed on with sheet metal screws?
Just make sure to blow the shavings out, would hate to hear about a ruined 272:cry:

I did get the part # 503589901 from another thread for a husky deflector. I don't know if it is for a 288 or not. I pulled the muffler last night to inspect the cylinder and see what could be done with the muffler. The engine is so nice and has good compression. So I don't think I will port it yet, just do a muffler mod and run it for a while.

I like muffler mods, the neighbors dont:) I am sure the people experience will be home to help you after while. I just post my opinions, and I am only a newbie.

I have found quite a bit of info stating that the 272s were good saws to modify for racing, but no pics or any explanation of doing so, just the mention of it. I would think that there is someone out there that has done quite a bit of midifying to a 272 befor the 371 or 372 ever came out.

I am away this week so I can't send you a pic, but I modded my 272 muffler. Pretty simple, left the stock opening alone and just ran 1/2 pipe angled out the side and braised it on. Took about half an hour. It rips nice on the top end now. I have been running it like this for about a year with no ill effects and she has cut some serious wood this summer. Just make sure you richen it on the top end when you are done

Mike

Here's some pictures of the 2153 done...
DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1735.jpg

It's pretty hard to get a good picture inside that little hole...

DSCN1737.jpg

This is the carbide Dremel bit I used.

Mike

Latest posts

Back