Husqvarna 350 comparison video with cut times!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you're seeing is that the saw with the lowest RPM peak HP is the slowest saw. By the same token, the saw that makes it's peak HP at the highest RPM will cut the fastest, given it's not a super peaky powerband.
After a little more inspection, it would appear that perhaps the Kafar kit makes it's peak at a little higher RPM than the Hyway, with both having similar peak HP. However, the Hyway has a much broader powerband. Is that an accurate interpretation? I might have expected the OEM and UK kits to be a little faster than the other two as well. No?

my original hypothesis is that if I port the cylinders to similar specs, I'll get a similar result. ...there really *should* be minimal difference between saws IF the porting is exactly the same. in which case, it wouldn't matter what cylinder you buy, just that you port it to good spec.

if you want, I can put DATPLOT to work and get 2 saws at a time rather than all 7 at the same time....

also, the kafar kit was a TURD at NY gtg.... I significantly opened the muffler and now it seems to be in the running...

the hyway kit still is running a screen, though the muffler is somewhat opened underneith it, still not opened as much as yours was Brad...

If you go by the polynomial trendlines, Hyway makes 4.8 peak at 9krpm. Kafar 10k rpm 4.6 hp.... or therabouts. Its entirely possible, that these curves really don't match the powerband at all.... there may actually be a double hump on the band, maybe a real plateau, I don't know. I'm not a mathematician, or an expert on 2 cycle dyno curves.

They key to making these saw run will be for you to get the transfers up. You don't want more than 15°-16° of blowdown. I think that's the biggest difference. Don't take your exhaust any higher than 105°. Even 107° is good. Contrary to popular conception, raising the exhaust isn't going to make more RPMs with these. I found the opposite to be true. If you port these like a 372 with the exhaust at 98°-100° they'll actually be slower.

if at all possible, I really don't like the idea of machining the bases of cylinders, gotta keep the thickness up on those ears.... makes more sense to me to machine the bearing cap....BUT, consider going to M6 bolts to hold the cylinder down, because the m5's bottom, and you won't necessarily have many usable threads to grab the bearing cap to properly seal

Matt I really think your saws need to breath better to take advantage of your porting. Look how much better the kafar kit did from Ny to CT by opening the muffler. Did you try my muffler on your hyway saw? Bet it wakes it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if at all possible, I really don't like the idea of machining the bases of cylinders, gotta keep the thickness up on those ears.... makes more sense to me to machine the bearing cap....BUT, consider going to M6 bolts to hold the cylinder down, because the m5's bottom, and you won't necessarily have many usable threads to grab the bearing cap to properly seal
The general rule of thumb is to leave at least .250". I've had to go a little thinner before and never had an issue. Besides, you have no other reasonable option on the 353/346.

once the case is indicated its really easy to make such a cut. and I retain all the thickness on the cylinder ears. AND, theoretically the next jug would still fit with minimal effort, assuming I'm not using a popup. I've probably milled more than 20 cases, I think I've done 1 popup. that said, because I'm just milling the case, not doing a popup OR cutting squishband, I don't get the significant boost in compression necessarily.

Latest posts

Back