husqvarna 372xp why did I take the throttle trigger apart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rond65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I took this chainsaw apart because it needed a cleaning (just the lower handle and trigger mechanism) and now I wish I would have left it dirty because after searching all over the net and trying every which way to put it back together it just isn't working out. Obviously I am doing something wrong but don't know what. Please give me some help if you can. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Page from the workshop manual

Stihl it is not easy. The trigger is OK, it is the operator presence lever that will give you fits.

wow!!! Thanks for the fast help. I will post how it goes with some pics if I can figure out how to post them.

still miffed

Ok so here is a picture because even with the diagram I can't tell where the spring on the trigger is suppose to go. I got my high powered magnifying glass out to see if there were signs of wear on the trigger and the only place I could see was to the right where the diagram shows the spring "should go". If you look about 1/2 to 1" to the right of the left end of the spring where the plastic trigger has the flat surface (which the spring is sitting on now) then it turns up 90 degrees for 3/16" then back down, that area by this vertical tab is the only little bit of wear I can find that the spring might have left on the trigger. Watson needed the help of Sherlock. Thank you!!!!

Well, wish I had seen this problem before I stopped at that Husky dealer this morning. I would've let them make a post on how to do it, with pictures, on my account.

That is the way the end of the wire hooks in the trigger. The spring on the carb holds the trigger down

the spring you have in the picture does not have anything to do with the trigger.

That spring holds the operator presence lever up and hooks into a little notch in that lever.

ok W8ye, I think I get what you're saying and hopefully these pictures will tell the story. After you sent your last 2 posts a light bulb went on.

under my index finger in my last post I could see an area that I believe W8ye was talking about where one end of the spring goes that is slightly warn. Well I knew I needed a new spring so now I will follow through with the order and then start with more knowledge than I had before. Thank you guys for your help!!

Well, that was correct until the corroded spring broke.

Stihl aint easy but after a few tries you will get it.

By the next time you will have forgotten and have to learn all over again.

This picture is important as it is specifically how the spring hooks up.

It specifically shows both ends of the spring and precisely how the hook on the trigger and the safety lever or handle.

The picture is by the original poster?
285514d1363655418-1-jpg

The trigger is installed with the throttle cable attached first.

Then with the spring hooked into the safety lever, the coil or bank end of the spring has to be fed down into the back end of the handle.

Then the safety lever is positioned into the top slot. This is difficult at best as the front lower part of the spring has to be placed on the trigger.

And then the safety lever has to fit in alongside the top of the trigger and tilted off to the clutch side of the chainsaw until it snaps into place.

The after market parts often will not fit up well and have to be sanded or filed to interact freely with each other. The point where the latch mechanism of the safety lever contacts the trigger may have to be messaged a little to get the trigger to release when the safety lever is depressed.

OEM parts work fine.

Well, I fell into this trap today. It looks like the photos have disappeared from this thread. I learned today why my 362xp has no operator presence spring. Im sure someone else took it apart and gave up putting it back in. Does anyone else have any words of wisdom. I cant figure out where the trigger end of the spring is supposed to go into. It is hooked on the end like its supposed to insert into a hole, but I'll be damnned if I can find it.

I googled "husqvarna 372xp workshop manual" (no quotation marks), and the first hit was a good pdf. I won't post a link to it b/c it is put there by a non-sponsor here. Look around page 17.

EDIT! THIS IS ALL WRONG - IGNORE
The way they show the spring for the operator presence in the IPL is backwards. The one more plain end of the spring just goes down inside the back of the handle.
The loop of the spring goes around the pivot for the operator presence lever.
The end of the spring with the "U" shape just goes in a little indention in the side of the operator presence lever. If you have the spring installed correctly, where this goes will be obvious
The spring belongs on the left side (or the side you stand on) of the operator presence leve
r.

Must of my chainsaws were obtained used/disassembled in a cardboard box. Seems that most people think of the operator presence lever with contempt and would rather it wasn't there? So it is often a problem to fix it.

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow. I was looking at the IPL and couldn't see how it worked. I will try it turned around the other way. Wish me luck.

It's been a couple years since I did one of these.
CORRECTION!
The IPL is shown correctly
The round part of the spring goes down inside the handle
The more simple end of the spring lays on top of the trigger to hold it down.
The end of the spring with the "U" bend sticks up inside a little hole in the operator presence lever to hold it up.
This still is very frustrating to get this all to fit at the same time while getting the pivot pins back in place and keeping the throttle cable in its place on top of the trigger.
Do the trigger first and have its pin partially in place to hold it together and then concentrate on the OPL & spring
You almost need the tank completely removed from the saw to put up with this?

Back