husqvarna 394 heat/exhaust issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got this 394 locally, seller said he was the second owner. He said the cylinder cover was melted by the first owner and was like that when he bought it, but it didn't get worse while he owned it. He said the chain brake was not functioning when he bought it so he replaced the whole clutch cover/chain brake assembly (appears AM).

I bought it Sunday evening as it was getting dark so I wasn't able to look it over too well (my fault). It started cold on the 3rd pull, ran strong, and oiled well. I made a quick cut with it in some small wood, but didn't get it up to operating temperature (my fault again). Money changed hands, small talk was made, and I headed home grinning from ear to ear with my big saw.

Yesterday evening was the first chance I had to run it. Started easy on the fourth pull and I cut some 28" red oak rounds and noodled some big crotches, maybe ten minutes of run time. When I shut the saw down I noticed it was starting to melt the chain brake handle.

I pulled the muffler and everything was tight and the gasket was in place so I don't think there are any leaks, I'm not really sure what the issue is, but I'm starting to believe the seller wasn't completely honest about why the original clutch cover was replaced. While I was taking things apart, everything (clutch cover, cylinder cover, bar, chain, spikes) seemed hotter than it should be.

What originally appeared to be a good deal now has me worried that I'm going to be putting more money into the saw. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the cylinder cover, but obviously I don't want to be melting the chain brake handle every time I use the saw.

The saw currently has an E3 spark plug and I read on an atv forum about these plugs being extra hot, I'll be replacing it with the appropriate Champion plug tomorrow for comparison.

IMG_20170627_205108527.jpg IMG_20170628_055307493.jpg IMG_20170628_055444306.jpg IMG_20170627_205639064.jpg IMG_20170628_055638557.jpg IMG_20170628_055700589.jpg IMG_20170628_055709898.jpg

I took off the recoil and found wires that had been spliced together.

IMG_20170628_060446598.jpg IMG_20170628_060452540.jpg

The saw, I'm not a fan of the west coast spikes if someone has OEM spikes I'd be willing to trade.
IMG_20170627_191313444.jpg

I think the reason the top cover and brake handle are melted is because someone tried opening the muffler outlet but didn't do it right.

Muffler-for-Husqvarna-394-394XP-395-395XP-with-spark-arrestor-NEW-172511616919-2.jpg

You might be missing the rubber bumper on top of the muffler....that would keep.the top cover from hitting the muff and melting

The rubber bumper is missing, I noticed that after looking at the part schematic. I'm guessing from your avatar that you are Matthew Olson on youtube. I just came across your 394 bolt for bolt rebuild part 1 video.

As for the last time it had a rebuild I have no idea, I just bought it on Sunday

I'm working a double today and won't be home until midnight so I won't be able to get more pictures of the muffler posted until then.

That a hole in the top corner?

Seems like you could look at the melted spot and draw a line directly to your problem.

Is the screen screw in?

Always ask a question....when was last rebuild. If the answer is never...or ...I don't know....on a 20+ year old saw....the price goes DOWN

And yes....that's me :) anything I can do to help lemme know.
A 20+ year old saw that never been rebuilt and still is In good running condition means it's not been used much and is worth more to me than one that's been rebuilt with who knows what kind of parts or who done it.

No holes, despite looking like a rusted out piece of crap it's solid. The straight line comes from the side vent on the muffler which is why I was thinking it was running hot.

No holes, despite looking like a rusted out piece of crap it's solid. The straight line comes from the side vent on the muffler which is why I was thinking it was running hot.
It's not getting hot,the outlet is aimed wrong someway.
Bend it until it isn't blowing on plastic.

A 20+ year old saw that never been rebuilt and still is In good running condition means it's not been used much and is worth more to me than one that's been rebuilt with who knows what kind of parts or who done it.

Sorry...forgot to mention the "who"

Pretty sure this saw doesn't fall into the category of not being used much....

It's starting to clean up, most of the dirt, dust and oily crud is coming off easily. Cleaning all of the nooks and crannies will be a pain, but will make it look better.IMG_20170629_063003192.jpg IMG_20170628_220347207.jpg

Latest posts

Back