Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Please don't say "just find one of these XYZ saw's for the same price used" unless you have an actual link for said deal.

I'm a hard working homeowner with a few acres and lots and lots of wood to cut. My trees rarely get over one foot in width. I have two wood stoves. I want a saw I can rely upon. I want a manufacturer that will stand behind their saw. I don't want to tinker with the saw, I want to work. I don't have spare time to fiddle with stuff. I'd like to do not much more or just sharpen chains, replace chains, add fluids, check air the filter. I will clean the bar, check the spark plug, etc.

I don't want "buy XYZ saw for cheap and learn how to maintain it" as an answer. I don't have spare time to fiddle with something.

I have a local Husqvarna dealer. I have made contact with a Dolmar dealer on here that I trust.

Due to your " no fiddle policy" your only option is a Husqvarna because that is your local dealer. For someone who doesn't work on their own equipment dealer support is mandatory. Having someone somewhere else just means you will pay shipping and handling should the saw need attention beyond regular maintenance. The owners manual will outline maintenance and the prescribed schedule. If you do not follow these procedures you will have wasted your money and have a really nice door stop. Things like greasing the roller bearings, edging the bar, cleaning the bar oiler holes, spark plugs and cleaning the saw after use are just a few of the things required to maintain a chainsaw so it lasts. Perhaps you knew all of this but it doesn't hurt to point it out just in case. As far as which saw for your purpose just about any 50cc saw will do. Actually you could get away with a 40cc class saw but I personally would opt for a 50cc class saw. They weigh about the same and offer more in terms of performance.

Sent using mental telepathy.

Due to your " no fiddle policy" your only option is a Husqvarna because that is your local dealer. For someone who doesn't work on their own equipment dealer support is mandatory. Having someone somewhere else just means you will pay shipping and handling should the saw need attention beyond regular maintenance. The owners manual will outline maintenance and the prescribed schedule. If you do not follow these procedures you will have wasted your money and have a really nice door stop. Things like greasing the roller bearings, edging the bar, cleaning the bar oiler holes, spark plugs and cleaning the saw after use are just a few of the things required to maintain a chainsaw so it lasts. Perhaps you knew all of this but it doesn't hurt to point it out just in case. As far as which saw for your purpose just about any 50cc saw will do. Actually you could get away with a 40cc class saw but I personally would opt for a 50cc class saw. They weigh about the same and offer more in terms of performance.

I should have added that in the first post, I will indeed do basic maintenance like you detailed.

I don't mind going with the Dolmar and the possible shipping to a dealer if it is the better saw.

Additionally, am I correct in assuming that the 450 would run better with an 18" bar over a 20" bar for my needs?

Any saw will run better the shorter the bar. It requires less power to run a smaller bar, less chain being pulled around the bar and through the wood. Also the narrower the chain the less power required. So... Yes you are correct:)

How did you have in mind getting the 421 as to the chain and sprocket? Not so familiar with the Husqvarna 450. The dolmar has an inboard clutch hence easy access able sprocket. There is a 6 tooth 3/8lp that might be "stock", a spur 0.325, and as you may have read on here the ability to use a rim drive set up so long as a tiny shim is used. That effects what bar it comes with as well. Neither design is intended to run 7 teeth 3/8 lp like say the Sthil 251 could be set up.

I think both should work fine without fussing.

I don't own a Dolmar saw. This realization has me sad... *begins looking for used Dolmar saws*.

How did you have in mind getting the 421 as to the chain and sprocket? Not so familiar with the Husqvarna 450. The dolmar has an inboard clutch hence easy access able sprocket. There is a 6 tooth 3/8lp that might be "stock", a spur 0.325, and as you may have read on here the ability to use a rim drive set up so long as a tiny shim is used. That effects what bar it comes with as well. Neither design is intended to run 7 teeth 3/8 lp like say the Sthil 251 could be set up.

I think both should work fine without fussing.

Stock for now, for a long while.

Stock for now, for a long while.
A lot of talk on here is about dealer and service. I do not generally need service but often want it set up somewhat different than "stock" and that is where dealer makes a difference. As you may have read on here many dealers set the 421 up with 0.325. They are all going to be overly busy the day after a hurricane. I was pointing to the different drive and cutting attachment that probably is on the two choices you put here. If you are going to cut under 12 inch stuff the small bore version of the Dolmar 421, the 351 with the 6 tooth low profile "stock sprocket" should be sufficient. I have one of those and it starts great, warms up quick, shuts off easy, holds a lot of fuel.

450 is a real nice saw.

But I'm confused, I thought you wanted something significantly lighter than your 5020? These saws are of higher quality but roughly the same weight of your Poulan.

I'll mention something about dealers. I have a local Stihl dealership in my town. I'd never even begin to consider bringing either of my Stihl saws to them for service. Not in a million years. I buy parts from them, sure, but they'd have no problem charging a guy $100 bucks and not fixing what was wrong with something.

I think you'll have much better luck figuring out what's wrong with a saw and getting it fixed working with the dealers who participate here. 2-strokes are simple creatures. Chances are low that you'll have a problem with that Dolmar, but if you do, I'm sure the seller will help you figure it out. Many local dealerships are like my stihl dealer. They certainly aren't all created equally.

So, yes, having a local husky dealer is nice, but unless they're a really great dealer, they are only a fraction as good as the dealers on here.

I'll mention something about dealers. I have a local Stihl dealership in my town. I'd never even begin to consider bringing either of my Stihl saws to them for service. Not in a million years. I buy parts from them, sure, but they'd have no problem charging a guy $100 bucks and not fixing what was wrong with something.

I think you'll have much better luck figuring out what's wrong with a saw and getting it fixed working with the dealers who participate here. 2-strokes are simple creatures. Chances are low that you'll have a problem with that Dolmar, but if you do, I'm sure the seller will help you figure it out. Many local dealerships are like my stihl dealer. They certainly aren't all created equally.

So, yes, having a local husky dealer is nice, but unless they're a really great dealer, they are only a fraction as good as the dealers on here.
I have to admit, I have met small engine dealers who reminded me of car dealers. I am currently working on an 026 which the guy was charged about $60 from one of the dealers and I can find absolutely no evidence of the saw being worked on. For this area we do have reputable dealers though, even if a couple of the others are crooked as hell. I am not a dealer so I don't know what all goes into it but it seems to me it is more to do with character than profession.

450 is a real nice saw.

But I'm confused, I thought you wanted something significantly lighter than your 5020? These saws are of higher quality but roughly the same weight of your Poulan.

That was when the Poulan was running. Now, I just want one good saw.

For $400 you can go to the local Wal-Mart pick up a brand new PP5020 use it till the warranty runs out. Any problems during that time just go back and exchange it. After the first ones warranty runs out, if it screws up again, buy a 2nd. That's 6 months to do what ever clearing you need to do at least with no worries to any malfunctions.

For $400 you can go to the local Wal-Mart pick up a brand new PP5020 use it till the warranty runs out. Any problems during that time just go back and exchange it. After the first ones warranty runs out, if it screws up again, buy a 2nd. That's 6 months to do what ever clearing you need to do at least with no worries to any malfunctions.

I'd rather have one good saw.

I've had mine over 3 years with zero issues other than a slight tune.

Roger that and I'm told that I'm an anomaly but I would like to use this opportunity to get something with support, not something I can return to Walmart when it starts running poorly. My guns work perfectly, my computers work perfectly, my trucks runs great, and so on.

Back