Husqvarna 455 Rancher or 460 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redshift

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new chainsaw to cut firewood in my backyard. I need a good gas powered chainsaw that can operate for longer hours without getting heated.

I have shortlisted two models, Husqvarna 455 Rancher and 460 Rancher while reading chainsaw reviews online. There is a price difference between these two models but I could not find any major difference between them.

Advice me which will be the best bet. I ma also comfortable with Stihl and Echo saws, so if you could advise any good model from that side, I can go with that too. But I want a powerful saw that could operate long enough and doesn't produce much grunt.

If you can swing it I would go with a 555 Husqvarna model. Out of the two you have listed I would go for the 460 it has more power and its carrying the same weight as the 455. I have a 455 and it has been a good saw but lacks power and has a poor oiler. What size wood do you mostly cut?

What kind of budget are you looking at? Size and type of wood (hard or soft)?

I enjoyed my 460 rancher before I ran a pro saw. It pullled a 24" bar but only because it had to though its power is better suited for a 16 - 18" bar.

Both saws mentioned, as well as other saws in their class are heavy for the power and give off lots of vibrations, relatively speaking.

So again, what's your budget and what size/type wood are you REALISTICALLY going to cut 90% of the time?

I have a 460 and I've never really liked it. It uses way to much fuel for what it does. I bought it to replace an aging 268XP. I've since gotten the 268 in running order and hardly ever use the 460 anymore.

Got a factory refurb 455 2 yrs ago delivered for $307 from VMInnovations dot com. Maybe a pound or so over for wt- no matter to me, I use a 40cc saw for limbing.

I don't get the comment about A/V problems. Not the case on my saw. Very smooth, in fact.

With sharp chain, it has no problems with 20" bar in oak. With dull chain, that's me there with the file.

That site has good deals on various new and refurb saws, and lots of other stuff, besides. Like $225 for refurb 50cc Husqy backpack blower.

For the money you will spend on a 460 rancher. But the Jonsered in the auction section (same as 550xp) for $475. Then you get a pro saw and auto tune. Which will out it a 460 for days.

I mostly cut 20 inch thick logs of "Hardwood", that is why I was looking for a powerful saw. Also my budget is less than $500, the lesser the better :tongue2:

If I could get a decent second hand saw I can also buy that provided it is of good quality. And if you guys know any place to buy good second hand saws, please mention it over here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

455 or 460 is not a "powerful saw". Buy the Stihl 044 in the classifieds for $350 and go slay trees.

Redshift.. You can buy one hell of a good used pro saw for $500. Even $400 will get a nice one.

When I'm looking for a used saw, there are several Arboristsite sponsors who sell saws. These individuals can be trusted. Personally, I get ahold of a member here who goes by "nmurph". He's a good guy whom I've done business with. But as said, there are several other site sponsors you can trust.

Thanks a lot guys. I think I am getting really confused over here. Don't mind but I have got suggestions for nearly all the major chainsaw companies over here, I mean, guys are recommending Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered.

Do you all share a common view on any one model which is powerful enough to cut hard firewood seven days a week? :confused:

Let's start a poll over here? What's say?

Thanks a lot guys. I think I am getting really confused over here. Don't mind but I have got suggestions for nearly all the major chainsaw companies over here, I mean, guys are recommending Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered.

Do you all share a common view on any one model which is powerful enough to cut hard firewood seven days a week? :confused:

You never go wrong with the legendary 372xp, but of course there are other options! :msp_smile:

I think the 460 rancher is a very well rounded saw for firewood use. I have been using my dads 460 for all my big 20" hardwood and it does just fine with a 20" bar! it does like fuel but it cuts quickly so you still get lots of work done between fill ups. the anti-vibe is great too. a used one is pretty affordable too.

I have a 455 and it has been a great firewood saw. Even though I have many saws it does see a good deal of use.

Like I have stated before there are way more "homeowner" saws cutting firewood than "pro" ones.:msp_ohmy:

Last edited:

It's not just the maker but how the saw is made. Imagine a John deere mower bought from lowes compared to a John deere x300 mower from a dealer. Both will cut grass but one is built much better and durable.

You have homeowner saws made from Stihl,Husqvarna ..and then you have their commercial grade stuff built better. You don't HAVE to have one but you can get used ones for the same price as the home owner saws and would be a better choice IMO.

If you go to Stihl or Husqvarna site you can see they have their saws listed in different categories. You will have saws with the same CCs on paper but some priced much higher due to their design and the way they are made.

There is a classifieds section here and you will find great saws there. Do a search on homeowner saws,clamshell designs (generally homeowner saws) etc.

Don't search for "ported saws" or you will face a demon that rivals crack cocaine addiction :msp_w00t:

There is a very nice Echo CS-520 with case and extra chain on EBay right now. It's up to 102.50 with two days to go. I think that would be a much better choice than either of the Ranchers.

I think the 460 rancher is a very well rounded saw for firewood use. I have been using my dads 460 for all my big 20" hardwood and it does just fine with a 20" bar! it does like fuel but it cuts quickly so you still get lots of work done between fill ups. the anti-vibe is great too. a used one is pretty affordable too.

What is "just fine" to you may not be so for someone else - people and their expectations are different!

Then there is the "feel" of using a saw that is too heavy for its power, knowing there are much better options out there....

I mostly cut 20 inch thick logs of "Hardwood", that is why I was looking for a powerful saw. Also my budget is less than $500, the lesser the better :tongue2:

If I could get a decent second hand saw I can also buy that provided it is of good quality. And if you guys know any place to buy good second hand saws, please mention it over here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

It's a little more but maybe check out the 6421 Makita from Bailey's. good price for a pro grade saw that will last a long time.

Latest posts

Back