Husqvarna 50 big-bore upgrade question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 168196View attachment 168197View attachment 168198View attachment 168199

Here is last nights progress. Everything went together pretty well. One note of intrest: all bolts going into case on this older saw have hex heads for a 5\16 socket instead of the later 4mm allen heads that Husqvarna later went to. When bolting down the cylinder, the casting holes in the new NWP were about 1.5mm smaller diameter than the holes in the OEM 44mm cylinder. I was unable to fit my smallest 1\4 drive socket through the holes. Luckily i had a 55 parts saw on hand and the 4mm allen bolts matched perfectly. The casting holes on the NWP do match the size of the OEM 46mm (from a 55 rancher) which it is designed to replace.

Ill have to keep the bolts in mind if I have to order a 55 big bore for my 50. Ive been waiting for 3 freakin weeks now for my piston ring to come from ebay. Im starting to wish i had payed a little extra and ordered it from baileys, it would've been here two weeks ago.

Good update on the bolts, most (me anyway) wouldn't have thought about that till it arrived.

That decomp position on that cyl isn't in a reall nice spot for a Partner. Right behind the upper side mount for the front handle. Looks like it would clear if the plug was used though.

attachment.php

Ive been waiting for 3 freakin weeks now for my piston ring to come from ebay. Im starting to wish i had payed a little extra and ordered it from baileys, it would've been here two weeks ago.

Did you order it from Greece? I just got a ring for my 490 in less than a week.

Good update on the bolts, most (me anyway) wouldn't have thought about that till it arrived.

That decomp position on that cyl isn't in a reall nice spot for a Partner. Right behind the upper side mount for the front handle. Looks like it would clear if the plug was used though.

I installed the plug today and it looks like it would clear that side mount...........barely. The only thing protruding is the hex head of the plug. It is the size of a 13mm socket. Put a new fuel line and filter on this afternoon, all the covers and added gas and oil. After a couple adjustments to the low and idle screws on the carb, it cranked right up. I have only ran it for a few minutes (no wood yet) but it sounds and feels great. So far, I have no complaints on the NWP kits and the aftermartket price is much better than OEM. I will probably run it slightly rich on the high screw for now and let everything seat well before really opening it up.

Ill have to keep the bolts in mind if I have to order a 55 big bore for my 50. Ive been waiting for 3 freakin weeks now for my piston ring to come from ebay. Im starting to wish i had payed a little extra and ordered it from baileys, it would've been here two weeks ago.

I ordered a Golf piston and ring from e-bay and it was here in 2 days. Bailey's usually takes about 7 business days but I always need a chain or filter or something to make the order worth while.

I installed the plug today and it looks like it would clear that side mount...........barely. The only thing protruding is the hex head of the plug. It is the size of a 13mm socket. Put a new fuel line and filter on this afternoon, all the covers and added gas and oil. After a couple adjustments to the low and idle screws on the carb, it cranked right up. I have only ran it for a few minutes (no wood yet) but it sounds and feels great. So far, I have no complaints on the NWP kits and the aftermartket price is much better than OEM. I will probably run it slightly rich on the high screw for now and let everything seat well before really opening it up.

Sounds good.

I suppose a guy could thin the head of the plug down with a file or grinder to give a little more clearnce.

I used a 8mm 1/4 drive socket,that was only snug on one hole.Sucks waiting on parts!

Sounds good.

I suppose a guy could thin the head of the plug down with a file or grinder to give a little more clearnce.

It would be no problen to grind with a grinder. The plug head is not exceptionally thick, maybe 3\16" - 1\4". I can get a measurement on clearance tomorrow and maybe a finished picture.

It would be no problen to grind with a grinder. The plug head is not exceptionally thick, maybe 3\16" - 1\4". I can get a measurement on clearance tomorrow and maybe a finished picture.

Yes I don't think it would be problem, I know how thick they are. Looking at the picture I think it would clear anyway.

You know we like pictures!

I need to find a better way to attach pics so that they open up automatically. Today's pics were my first attempt and I will get the hang of it. When I replaced the fuel line, I used some yellow Oregon line. Slightly bigger O.D. and slightly smaller I.D. Made a good seal through the tank and a good snug fit on filter and carb. Heard mixed reviews on the Oregon line but I have used it on 2 saws with no problems yet.
These older walbro WA 82A carbs seem a little fickle on the low screw. This one I had to set 1 3\4 turn out. Any more or any less and it would not run. But at that setting, throttle response is good and ilde is smooth.

I used a 8mm 1/4 drive socket,that was only snug on one hole.Sucks waiting on parts!

Did not try metric at all. My local hardware store carries a lot of 4mm allen head screws. It would have worked either way but with teh old parts saw, I was able to get it locked down right then. Any trouble getting the bolts tight enough with the 8mm?

Did you order it from Greece? I just got a ring for my 490 in less than a week.

Wiggs, its coming from singapore. Its only been 11 days, it just feels like three weeks. The estimated shipping says 1-20 to 2-2 it should arrive, I CAN NOT WAIT. I don't want to dremmel my cylinder anymore and have just about finished the pipe for it. When she blows up I think Im just gonna put a 55 top end on her and a modded forester muffler. Any body know how to make a freakin mac load pics onto this site so i can show you guys this little saw??

Here is another picture, finished product.

THATS TERRIBLE!!! you should immediately send it to me so I can properly dispose of it for you!( set it next to my 50's,would make a great addition! ) ;) same with anyone else that has a saw like that.. ship em ALL to me so I can play er umm "dispose" of em properly :D

Last edited:
Very nice Axelrod let us know how it runs. Is that a 16" bar?

It is a 16". That is all Dad ever ran on it (when it was a 48.9cc). Now that is is a 53cc he may step up to a 18" though. I ran it some today on a locust. Ran about like a Husqvarna 51 but I had the carb set pretty rich. After cutting through about 3\4 tank of gas, I leaned the carb just a tad (still has that nice burble on top end). RPMs jumped noticably and now sounds like it should. I am still being cautious with break in to keep it a little rich for a few tanks.

THATS TERRIBLE!!! you should immediately send it to me so I can properly dispose of it for you!( set it next to my 50's,would make a great addition! ) ;) same with anyone else that has a saw like that.. ship em ALL to me so I can play er umm "dispose" of em properly :D

My Dad has cut firewood with this saw for 23 years......................he is expecting it back............soon. I'm sure you have found them to be good little runners as well.

Back