husqvarna 51 picked up yesterday 2o bucks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubnail67

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hello ya all so i picked this saw up for 20 bucks pulled it good compression!!!! figured for 20 bucks how could you lose! so she is all cleaned up evrything carb done etc this thing starts up great seems to run very good!!!! i even repainted the bar ... the only thing is it seems like the muffler has an issue i see a small burned area on the chain brake cover.... and i googled it says there is a recall on this model? ive awalys had stihl poulan and echo's and a few home lites....ive never owned a husqvarna yet seems like a solid saw only one ring is this a home owners model? seems like a stout lil saw im trying to decide if i wanna keep her or sell her locally and turn a profit... not a whole lot i found on the boards after searching .. so i thought i would ask ya alls thoughts on this model saw.... and any easy fixes for the muffler issue .. thanks! and no this is not me wanting to sell it.... as clean as she is now i wont have any problems selling her on CL ...i find myself liking her as she was soooooo dirty and gunked up lot of cleaning seems to make me closer to the saw the more time i put in it LOL! i may keep her !!!i will post pics later.

Sounds like a good deal to me. My 51 has a burn mark on the cover too. I've never given it a thought. If it cuts well, who cares? If you're worried about it, post a pic. Haven't heard about a recall on them.

Sounds like a good deal to me. My 51 has a burn mark on the cover too. I've never given it a thought. If it cuts well, who cares? If you're worried about it, post a pic. Haven't heard about a recall on them.

oh it was a great deal either way i won its not a shelf queen its been used hard!!! has wear and tear but it runs pretty strong with a 16 inch bar on it...right after i posted this i read down a few lines and a guy has a husky 55 does the burn thing... and he posted a neat fix for it.. so you have a 51? how long have you had it? how good a saw has it been? the guy said it had sat for over a year i got it to fire with minimal effort and now it starts like a new saw i need a saw in the 50 cc range i may try it out in some oak see how it pulls.. i never get those 20 buck good finds so im pretty happy !!!thanks for the reply

You did very good on that deal. The Husqvarna 50/51/55 was the best 50cc saw they ever built, in my opinion. They also happen to be one of my favorite saws and I have owned many of them. Be sure to check the intake system out closely if you happen to run into a air leak issue.

EDIT:
Here is the thread I started when I built my last 51. I am still planning to take it back down for some port work here shortly.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/167778.htm

Last edited:
oh it was a great deal either way i won its not a shelf queen its been used hard!!! has wear and tear but it runs pretty strong with a 16 inch bar on it...right after i posted this i read down a few lines and a guy has a husky 55 does the burn thing... and he posted a neat fix for it.. so you have a 51? how long have you had it? how good a saw has it been? the guy said it had sat for over a year i got it to fire with minimal effort and now it starts like a new saw i need a saw in the 50 cc range i may try it out in some oak see how it pulls.. i never get those 20 buck good finds so im pretty happy !!!thanks for the reply

I actually got mine new, and have used it off and on over the years. It's got a 20" on it, but in the PNW it's almost always softwood, so a bigger bar works OK. It's been trouble free to the point of kinda boring. I usually take it camping/hunting. It pretty much just works. I've had a lot more fun and learned a lot by picking up broken saws and fixing them. Now, OTOH, if I could find one of those mythical closed port mahle p&c combos for a 55, I'd upgrade that little beast even though it's not broken.

In case you find yourself in need of a new P&C for yours, the 51 & 55 use the same bottom end, so you can give it a slight upgrade by putting the bigger P&C on.

Nice! I also bought my new in 98 actually. 330 out the door at friedmans hardware. Threw a 20in bar on mine too. 3/8 full skip chisel. Ive cut all types of wood mostly hardwood. No issue's never lacked power or let me down. Seem's like they built em like pro saw's back then at least this one was. Compression, and power same as new on mine. All I have ever done is replace fuel line, and filter and normal maintenance. Awesome saw's I agree about the best 50cc saw of all time well one of em for sure. I just got an offer from my buddy needs a saw wantedt it bad. I thought about @$$#% NO! Im keeping it!! Norm.........

pics all clean!

here are the pics !!! i did notice on the side of the cylinder where a decomp valve would be there was a lil indent that would be where a valve would be...and a threaded hole next to it i found a allen bolt under the muffler and could not find where it went i does it go there? if so what for?if you look real close to the pic you can see the hole is it just i like the muffler mod you did think i will copy it!!!!it was already missing the screen! thats how dirty this saw was but my piston looks pretty nice LOL!!!View attachment 185402View attachment 185403

Nice saw ! I hope to someday score a Husky of any kind at a yard sale for a good price. My Bro In Law has a 51 and I've run it some. It's kinda big for most of the stuff we do, but it's a stout saw with plenty of power.

hello ya all so i picked this saw up for 20 bucks pulled it good compression!!!! figured for 20 bucks how could you lose! so she is all cleaned up evrything carb done etc this thing starts up great seems to run very good!!!! i even repainted the bar ... the only thing is it seems like the muffler has an issue i see a small burned area on the chain brake cover.... and i googled it says there is a recall on this model? ive awalys had stihl poulan and echo's and a few home lites....ive never owned a husqvarna yet seems like a solid saw only one ring is this a home owners model? seems like a stout lil saw im trying to decide if i wanna keep her or sell her locally and turn a profit... not a whole lot i found on the boards after searching .. so i thought i would ask ya alls thoughts on this model saw.... and any easy fixes for the muffler issue .. thanks! and no this is not me wanting to sell it.... as clean as she is now i wont have any problems selling her on CL ...i find myself liking her as she was soooooo dirty and gunked up lot of cleaning seems to make me closer to the saw the more time i put in it LOL! i may keep her !!!i will post pics later.

Back