Husqvarna 55 cuts funny?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, the 55 has a fixed oil output. I use Stihl Winter grade oil in mine in order to get enough oil output for the 20" bar I have on it.

I regularly file the bar rails on all my saws, whenever they start to show any defects or uneven wear. I use a ski edge file, but the one Bailey's sells is about the same, and a block of wood to hold it 90 degrees. A regular single or double cut file would work also, they just don't cut quite as quickly as the specialty files. Anyway, it's a two minute job, and you can't over heat the bar or take off too much with a file, nor leave flat spots in it if you take nice long strokes.

Thanks!. I've been studying he service manual. The oil output is fixed. There is a filter in the tank worth looking at. The owners manual gives a flow spec. I need o set up a tach. to hold it on the specified RPM to do the test. I'm running an 18" bar which is within the bar specs for the saw so I gather the pump should keep up. I gather the winter weight oil is thinner. Is more thinner oil as good as less thicker oil? I'd guess more keeps things flushed better but thicker keeps things lubed under pressure better.

There's only three things that can make your saw cut crooked. They were all previously mentioned... worn bar, wrong gauge chain, improperly sharpened chain. If you noticed a lot of play... I would say its one or both of the first two mentioned. Your chain could be .050 and the bar could be .058.

Last edited:
runnin again

OK, new bar, new chain, new husky fuel line (the silly thing was $3). Installing the fuel line was ugly, the old one fell to pieces---many pieces. So many thanks on the advice to replace it as top priority. Something in the gas was causing it to swell or degrade---outside the tank it was fine. Tore it down and the piston and cylinder look fine, minimum carbon. Cleaned the badly clogged oil filter and now it oils properly with a lighter weight oil. The guy at the local stihl shop said he cuts 30wt. bar oil with some marvel mystery oil for winter use. I found some oil at Home Despot that was thinner and it works fine. Re-used the base and carb gasket and she runs but new one on order so nobody flip out (I usually don't do that but had cutting to do.). Found a plastic hose clamp in my collection that made an absolutely perfect piston ring compressor.
\So it runs sweet and cuts strait.

But then I got to looking at the Stihl 290. I only cut 3 cords a year with a fair amount of ripping (I don't have a splitter for the crotches) in elm, cottonwood and some aspen---softer woods but often fully dry. The cost of a 260 doesn't make sense---I won't live long enough or cut enough to recoup the investment. An 18" bar is plenty---maybe a 20" if I gotta. I need a saw very tolerant of sitting for long periods between being used---even if I have to drain the gas. Turns out my truck is fine burning some 2 stroke oil so fresh gas isn't an issue. But looking at the Stihl I notice it has a bunch of extra electronics and a little buzzer valve on the carb regulating gas. This sort of gee-whizz stuff gives me pause. The more crap like that you have the more there is to gum up or break. The older designs worked fine and I could care less about fuel economy. Many companies build a reputation doing one thing and then get into a bunch of other stuff in an attempt to build market share and piss away the virtues that built their reputation. The attraction of the Stihl is it's new so I shouldn't have to fiddle with it, I could get into it for a little over $200 if I sold the Rancher (I don't need 2 chainsaws), The Stihl dealer is 6 blocks from my house so I can walk over rather than mail ordering stuff. But the 55 Rancher is running OK and at this point I know that motor and it's oiling system fairly well. It has more wear on it but is supposedly a solid and long lived tool.

What to do?

If the husky is running & cutting good, why spend the extra coin? I run a bunch of used saws, & it sounds like you're plenty able to do repairs yourself. If a saw has good compression & the fuel system is in good shape they tend to be pretty reliable IME. Keep it , use it, save for a little bigger new saw over time then you'll always have a backup. Just my .02 A C

I agree with the last post. You spent time and money to get the 55 running well, so why buy a new saw especially if you are concerned about the new gizmos? Your 55 should last a long time if you use fresh mixed gas, and drain the gas and gently run it dry if you arn't going to use it for several weeks. I've taken to draining the gas from my saws when I'm done for the day. Fuel lines and carb internals were getting eaten in a couple of years by the alcohol in the gas. Oh, one more thing about the 55. Make sure the screws holding on the carb are snug and err on the side of too rich. These saws love to fry pistons if they get just a tad lean. Enjoy the saw.

Latest posts

Back