Husqvarna 55 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawdoctor,
If you look at Andrethegiants post with the pictures, my cylinder is exactly the same as the top pic he has posted ( open ported ?) and the piston look the same also. How can I tell if the cylinder is bad short of buying a new one and replacing it? I have no means to mic it except with an inside micrometer. I havent found any charts with tolerances on it as of yet.

I don't know of any way, other than measuring clearances and visual inspection. I'm not terribly experienced with 55s, and I would not have suspected that, if a cylinder looks good, it could still be bad. I'm not terribly surprised, though, the 55 is a good saw, but is not a pro model.

If I had a cylinder and piston that looked good and seemed to produce good compression, I would check everything else out first before I dumped money on a P/C.

I don't know what your resources are, but I myself would try the top end on another 55 or 51. I dunno if that's possible for you, though.

my understanding is not that it starts, runs, and quickly dies, but that it coughs a bit but never runs on it's own? has never actually gone up to any revs?

You mentioned that it seems to be acting like flooded. Let's pursue that angle. If it has not actually run some brief rpms, do you have any fuel or oil assembly lube puddled in the crankcase that is indeed flooding it when trying to start?

Does it make worse when mist some fuel into the carb inlet-i.e. flood more and no cough?

If too rich, can you try it with fuel lines disconnected, or without a carb in place to see if it coughs?

I know how frsutrating this can be, fought a simple two stroke problem for a eyar on and off.

k

I may be late to this and I haven't read all the posts BUTTTTTTTT!-I have just been assembling one of my 51 Husky's and ran into a problem I hadn't seen before. I'm using an aftermarket 46mm cylinder and was starting to slip the cylinder on when I noticed that there was no way that the pulse hole was going to be clear. It was totally blocked by the case cylinder seat. I'm going without a gasket so the first thing I did was check if the gasket had a relief slot. There was none. A trip to the scrap parts showed that other cylinders and cases would have the same problem. There needed to be a small notch filed into the case so that the pulse hole would work. I did that with the help of some small files, paper towels, and a bit of grease. All is now well but I broke the ring and am calling it a day................Hope that helps rather than being a rerun.....Bob

If your time is worth $5 an hour you could have bought a wildthingy and cut enough wood to pay for it already ...
I had everlasting problems with a new 55 I bought. The last thing I did after a pressure test was changed carbs and it was finally working ok and I sold it quick for less then half what I paid for it about a year earliar, because I needed a better, bigger saw. Quincidental I was talking to a freind who works at a dealer and he said something like a 55 keeps running and running or they keep giving you trouble. You must have more time and patients then me. I hope it ends up worth your efforts.

I may be late to this and I haven't read all the posts BUTTTTTTTT!-I have just been assembling one of my 51 Husky's and ran into a problem I hadn't seen before. I'm using an aftermarket 46mm cylinder and was starting to slip the cylinder on when I noticed that there was no way that the pulse hole was going to be clear. It was totally blocked by the case cylinder seat. I'm going without a gasket so the first thing I did was check if the gasket had a relief slot. There was none. A trip to the scrap parts showed that other cylinders and cases would have the same problem. There needed to be a small notch filed into the case so that the pulse hole would work. I did that with the help of some small files, paper towels, and a bit of grease. All is now well but I broke the ring and am calling it a day................Hope that helps rather than being a rerun.....Bob

Good post, I think thats where the problem lies. I put a 55 together with an aftermarket gasket set and it would'nt run, all because the little notch was'nt cut in the gasket properly. I got a new OEM gasket, end of problem and the saw is still running great.

I'm going back in to check the gasket AGAIN! But if my memory is correct it is the original and was in excellent condition when replaced. I have wondered if the impulse hole lines up properly though.I have since sent away for a new piston and cylinder just to try to get this monkey off my back... I'll keep ya'll posted and thanks again for all your help...Lee

Did mifirewoodguy ever fix that 55?

I'm going back in to check the gasket AGAIN! But if my memory is correct it is the original and was in excellent condition when replaced. I have wondered if the impulse hole lines up properly though.I have since sent away for a new piston and cylinder just to try to get this monkey off my back... I'll keep ya'll posted and thanks again for all your help...Lee

I read the whole thread last night hoping to hear the outcome.:( Does anyone no if mifirewoodguy ever got his 55 to run??

Just wanted everyone to know that the new piston and cylinder took care of the problem. Ran 2 fat tanks of gas through it and it runs and idles like a champ. Just goes to show you that even though a cylinder and piston look good they can fool the naked eye... just wish I could have known b4 hand that this is what it needed b4 I spent all the time and effort honing the cylinder and rebuliding the d**m thing.... Thanks for all the help and if I can be of any help to anyone else please feel free to ask....Lee

Just wanted everyone to know that the new piston and cylinder took care of the problem. Ran 2 fat tanks of gas through it and it runs and idles like a champ. Just goes to show you that even though a cylinder and piston look good they can fool the naked eye... just wish I could have known b4 hand that this is what it needed b4 I spent all the time and effort honing the cylinder and rebuliding the d**m thing.... Thanks for all the help and if I can be of any help to anyone else please feel free to ask....Lee

Can you tell me how much the cyl and piston cost you and where you got them? I have 55 that's not running the way it used to. In fact I had a thread about it. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66004

Thanks, Ray

Just thought I would add another bit of info of the husky 55. I just did this on a 55 rancher EPA model. I couldnt get the thing to start with the little peices of plastic that limit the H and L adjuster screws (for emmission purposes there is very little tuneability with them installed from the factory) Once I removed it all, adjusted both 1 turn out and it started and ran great first pull.

Pete, which brand of cylinder did you use?

Just wondering because that can make a huge difference. Also, did you have to remove the limiter cap on the H jet as well? Good luck with the saw!

55 followup

I just wanted you to know that I and practically every mechanic that ever worked for me has done something similar and lost countless days of labor. It is hard to believe a cylinder which looks very good can have enough wear to prevent fuel delivery, but it happens. Glad to hear you got it going.

echoman

Your experiance shared opened up my eyes wider for my next rebuild. I may be trashing a few cylinders and saving myself some problems and time.

Newbie Just leaned out my 55. And ignored the Saw telling me I learned her out.

Just finished reading a bunch of threads and am almost done tearing her down to see how bad and what gives. Hope the cylinder is good, but if not...

Piston is pretty scored and ring is stuck in the aluminum.

I did notice this: before I popped the muffler to check it out.... She became harder to pull (starter pull) Wasn't certain if that is an indication of bearing damage or just the joy of frying a piston...

With everything off, I can turn her with ease via the flywheel. Before I popped the spark plug (trying to figure out why she cut off and wouldn't start) she chattered a little when pulling the starter coil. AFter pulling the plug and putting it back on the chattering was gone...

Guess I'll know more when I find my 4mm Allen wrench my sons misplaced. LOL.

Last edited:
Back