Husqvarna C/S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a mechanic at a husky dealer and I set up new saws and work on used saws , and will give you my 2 cents worth here.

The husky model 350 saw is best with a 18" bar or less, and would run .325 .050 chain, this saw is under powered to use a 20" bar efficiently, and will bog down the rpms too much.

The husky 353 is overall a better saw then the 350, and if you are set on a 300.00 budget this may be the one for you, but be sure to get .325 .050 chain, running 3/8" chain is just like adding bar length.

The husky 55 rancher, is no longer in production, but warehouses and dealers have plenty of stock on hand, this was a good saw in its day, but the new saws have alot more features such as smart start, adjustable oiler, side chain tensioner, and lighter weight, so I'd pass on this older model, it's very similar in power to the new 353 saw.

A 300.00 budget is tough, for a saw that will be used weekly.
I'd like to see you concider spending a little more and take a look at the husky 359 saw, sells for about 460.00 and will run a 20" bar with 3/8" chain easly. A husky 357xp is even a better saw, but would be about 570.00 and thats quite far from your price range.
An alternative is a Jonsered chainsaw which is basicly the same as a husky, both brands are made in the same plant, just cosmeticly a different color and minor differences. the jonsered saws sell for less then the husky saws compairing the same specs.
Take a look at the jonsered model CS 2159 with 4.1hp

I'd recommend the husky 359 or the Jonsered cs 2159

I run a husky 357xp and love it, also have an older 262xp and like it more then the 357xp.

Here's a place or two to browse at saws at good prices.
http://www.getsaws.com/

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

Hi hotrodusa,

Welcome to the forum and a very good first post.

Here`s a couple more places to get Huskies at good prices and you can get service to boot.

Dozer Dan Henry, a sponsoring member of this forum.

Commercial Cutters Direct

Russ

Hotrodusa, or anyone else

Hi Hotrodusa,

Thanks. I've narrowed down my choices to 2, 350 & 353. Regarding the #350 with a 20" bar, it would come with the 95vp chain, right? My reasoning for the 20" bar is, I figured that the times I'd cut 25" diameter logs with the 350, is that it would be easier cutting, than with the 18" bar? And, I figgered when cutting anything under 25" diameter stuff, it would go thru like butter? I may be wrong. I have been wrong before.

Now, the #353, as you say, everything considered, with the 20" bar that I want, this may be the best buy overall. Mag crankcase, and all. The #353 will not have any problem with an 20" bar, will it?

What I really would like is the 346XP at the price, weight, power, etc, of the #350. Want on, HUH?

Thanks,

Will a 350 run a 20 inch bar?

NO.

That would be like running a 30 inch bar on a MS260.

If you want to run that much bar buy a bigger saw.

As far as the type, style, and size bar and chain, When you order your saw just be sure to tell them what you want and they will know what your talking about. Its great that people here on the forum are giving you all the correct info you need for buying your saw.

here is a URL were you can learn about thie different chains available.

http://www.oregonchain.com/sawch.htm

When it comes down to it the husky 350, 353 and 346xp will work with the 20" bare, just not as good with a saw of more power. My first saw was a husky 55 and I ran that saw for 7 years and thought it was a great saw, now that I have bigger saws I wish I would have spent more on a bigger saw a long time ago.

Theres one point I would like to mention that I have not read here on the forums yet, when you buy a saw from your local dealer they run it and set the full throttle engine RPM's to the correct specs, and after you run 5 to 8 tanks of gas you take it back and they will check the RPM's again, usualy for free as my local dealer does. When you buy a saw over the internet this process is not done, I've seen saws come new from the factory set at 1500 rpm's over the max specs of the saw, this can cause severe problems with the saw (sieze up) and saw will be junk in a short time. Most dealers will not warrantee a saw bought over the internet for above stated reason. So if you do buy a saw over the internet be sure to have someone check and set the RPM's for you, with the smallest bar you have for the saw (before cutting with it). Some people may dissagree with that last statment.
This is how saws can be sold over the internet cheaper then your dealer, theres no warantee, they dont have to pay there mechanic to set it up properly.
If your set on buying over the internet, I'd ask your local dealer if they will cover the warrentee for you.

I'm not trying to scare you away from buying over the internet, just letting you know the pro's and con's of what possiable problems may lie ahead down the road.

Was gonna mention, over on the (used equipment) section someone has a used husky 257 chainsaw, that model has 3.5 cu. in. (57cc) 3.8 HP this model would be perfect for you, it sold new for 449.00 list price, and have been selling used for around 140.00 to 175.00 range in good shape. If you can negoiate the price a bit the above mention saw would be a good deal provided it runs good.

The husky 257 has smart start for easy starting and has an adjustable oiler. Also has air injection, and a easy saw to work on and maintain.

Just thought I'd point out other possiabilities......................

Some used husky saws to look out for are:

254xp (3.9hp)
257 (3.8hp)
262xp (4.8hp)
261 (4.2hp)
272xp (5.2hp)
362xp (4.6hp)
365 (4.6hp)
371xp (5.4hp)
372xp (5.4hp)
357xp (4.4hp)
359 (3.9hp)

hotrod, etal,

If you buy a saw from Dozer Dan or CCD it will be run and adjusted before it leaves the shop. I don`t know about Getsaws, but I would think that he(Bill) would also set you up right from past experience. Places like Southwest and Alamia are buyer beware. I`ve read plenty of negative posts about damaged equipment delivered by those two companies and see a trend.

Russ

new can of worms

Well, ya'll make a case that I hadn't thought of. I didn't realize that the RPM's had to be set, then checked again after a number tanks of fuel. I thought they came ready to go. Am I naive or what?

1) So what do I do if purchase over the net? Try to find a dealer in a town within, say, a 50 mile radius that will re-adjust the RPM"? And, will I have to pay for that?

2) And, if purchased from the net, say from CCD, even though it was set when CCD shipped it, I'd still have to get someone to check it after a few tanks of fuel is burned, or else send it back to CCD to have it done, correct? And, the shipping for that could be expensive. I assume I'd be responsible for the shipping both ways?

Thanks,

Any nearby small engine shop should have a tach. Or try a pro tree service, one of our bigger tree service business in my area has a person that maintains there equipment, and tunes up there saws so the other employees keep on cutt'n.

On the new chainsaws of husky the carb settings have limiters on the adjustment screws, and can be tricky to set the rpm's correct, different models have different style limiters, and these settings on the limiters on the adj. screws should be left to a qualified mechanic.

The more you learn the more you gonna worry................

I'd focus on the model saw you need, and not worry about how much its all gonna cost. Buying localy may be for you, and spending a little more for the size saw you need will more then pay off in the long run. I'd like to see you buy a husky model 359 with 20" bar for about 465.00 from your local dealer, then you will have plenty of power and it will be set up for you with a warrantee. When you go in to buy stock up on oil and spare chains, and ask for a package deal on the works.

The extra $$$$$$ you spend over your budget will be money well spent. Another way to look at it is if the saw costs say 500.00 and it lasts you for 10 years, it costs you 50.00 a year to own a nice chainsaw......................

A saw with plenty of power makes the job seem much more enjoyable..................N'ff said

-ANY- new Husqvarna should come with a warranty. I fill out and send in all warranty registration cards for my customers. Usually if people get one to take home, or get it in the box with the saw, it just ends up getting thrown out. EITHER way, even if you don't register the saw by mailing in that silly form, if the saw IS brand new and you are the original purchaser, and have a proof of purchase (IOW, an invoice, bill of sale, etc) you have a 2 year warranty if you are a consumer, and a 90 day warranty if the saw is used for commercial purposes.
It's also amazing how many people are lured in by the words "free shipping" - didn't your daddy ever tell you there's nothing really free in this world? Wouldn't you rather the vendor just gave you an honest price for the saw, and an honest price for freight, rather than try to disguise and hide the shipping in the price? Also consider the biggest value - service AFTER the sale. Maybe you'll never need it, but if you do.......

Latest posts

Back