husqvarna file guide help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroman532

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok i bought the huskvarna sharpening kit for 3/8 in chain H80
comes with 7/32 round file which is what my manual says is right size.
Th
I have tried every which way to put the little guide on the chain but it doesnt set low enough to allow file to go into the tooth of the chain. When i push file on the rollers it actually files off the face of the cutter.
What am i missing here??? Instruction are poor.
Shouldnt file be below cutter and into notch????
Help
Seem like it would be easier just not to use guide and push file in by itself

You might have to tap the guide down on the chain until it gets good and broke in I had a similar problem with my .325 guide till it got good and broke in just make sure that it is fully seated on the chain and it should work fine. Hope this helps.

On the instructions being poor I'd second that! Move the guide around until it finds where it wants to sit down properly. Don't forget to file the rakers if needed. I just had an idea, since I'm new to this also I'm going to make a quick video and we will see if it helps you out and if I'm even doing it correctly.

Remember I did this one handed while looking through a camera.

[video=youtube;muzKlsrXQdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muzKlsrXQdA[/video]

Last edited:
I have never had any such problem with the chain that they are made for - but they need to be adjusted a bit for .063 chain (width of slots), and for 3/8" Stihl chain in general (depth of front slots).

Im having this problem with my .325 guide on husky H25 chain.Its sitting where it should and the top of the notches are toucing the drive links but still seems too high in the cutter.

the chain is only new and this was its first sharpen(hit some fence wire)so had to take a bit off and then hit the rakers but think i took a bit too much off them from not lining it up properly and it cuts rough now

anywhere i can see som detailed pic's of the .325 guide depth guage on a chain in the correct way?

Im having this problem with my .325 guide on husky H25 chain.Its sitting where it should and the top of the notches are toucing the drive links but still seems too high in the cutter.

the chain is only new and this was its first sharpen(hit some fence wire)so had to take a bit off and then hit the rakers but think i took a bit too much off them from not lining it up properly and it cuts rough now

anywhere i can see som detailed pic's of the .325 guide depth guage on a chain in the correct way?

Are you sure you have the correct guide, and not the one for the H30/95VP? :msp_confused:

On the instructions being poor I'd second that! Move the guide around until it finds where it wants to sit down properly. Don't forget to file the rakers if needed. I just had an idea, since I'm new to this also I'm going to make a quick video and we will see if it helps you out and if I'm even doing it correctly.

Seems to me you turning it the wrong way? The HIGH end of the roller guide should always point at the power head!

i cut alot of dry dirty wood and its what the saw came with.

346xp .325 .058 15'' husky H25/oregon21Bp?

365 3/8 .058 20'' husky H42,H48

i cut alot of dry dirty wood and its what the saw(346xp)came with.

Next time i get chains for my saws il be getting oregon.

Is there much difference in quality between husky and oregon chain?

That chain actually looks like Oregon 30 - series low-profile .325 chain, and neither the guides nor the files for regular .325 chain will fit! :msp_rolleyes:

All husky rollerguides should have The HIGH end of the roller guide pointing at the power head or the file will sit to high, there are also arrows stamped in the aluminium part of the guide and they must point in the direction the chain runs !!!

Easiest is to look at the high end though as the arrows are small and also get clogged up fast when you use the making them hard so see :)

I think this is the best file guide out there and wish it was available for every sawchain from the big ones !!
Sandvik/Windsor also have a rollerguide that works good and i think they are made for a bigger variety of chains but they are harder to come by unfortunately :(

All husky rollerguides should have The HIGH end of the roller guide pointing at the power head or the file will sit to high, there are also arrows stamped in the aluminium part of the guide and they must point in the direction the chain runs !!!

Easiest is to look at the high end though as the arrows are small and also get clogged up fast when you use the making them hard so see :)

I think this is the best file guide out there and wish it was available for every sawchain from the big ones !!
Sandvik/Windsor also have a rollerguide that works good and i think they are made for a bigger variety of chains but they are harder to come by unfortunately :(

:agree2:

i cut alot of dry dirty wood and its what the saw(346xp)came with.

Next time i get chains for my saws il be getting oregon.

Is there much difference in quality between husky and oregon chain?

The "original" chain probably is Oregon 95VP(X)/H30 - and the guide for the H25/21BP(X) and H21/21LP(X) will not fit that chain, and none of those guides will fit the 30-series chain, as those are "low profile", and takes a smaller file. ;)

..and no, just different numbers on the same chain!

Last edited:
The "original" chain probably is Oregon 95VP(X)/H30 - and the guide for the H25/21BP(X) and H21/21LP(X) will not fit that chain, and none of those guides will fit the 30-series chain, as those are "low profile", and takes a smaller file. ;)

..and no, just different numbers on the same chain!

What´s the difference from 95VP to 95VPX?

Back