husqvarna file guide help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
File the cutters until they are sharp and no more once they are sharp they won't get any sharper. Now check the racker height and adjust if need be and that will get you throwing a big chip like new.

On of the biggest mistakes a person new to sharpening makes is not removing the 'glint' from the leading edge of the cutter. When the glint is gone, the cutter is sharp.

If you look at a knife blade held edge up in the light, you will see where the light will reflect off the dull edge of the blade. When you sharpen the knife the dull edge will be gone and the light reflects off to either side of the sharp edge - in others words, the light can't reflect off the edge of the blade.

The same concept applies to the chainsaw chain. You will get a reflection off the 'glint' at the front of the cutter. Use a strong light on the edge and look for a reflection, if you still have light reflecting off part of the cutter edge, it isn't as sharp as it could be.

Yes, I did have it on backwards. Sawtroll is right in that it's on a Oregon chain - 72LGX093G. Will this guide not work with this chain? Thanks all for catching me before I destroyed a $30.00 chain.

This should be on correctly now.

guide.jpg

I actually was wrong as well - thinking .325 - so forget my earlier posts here.....:msp_smile:

That blue-bodied guide should fit the 73LGX (and does on mine) - but that guide obviously isn't sitting right on the chain. It is a while since I used one, so I don't remember exactly how it should sit, but it never has been a problem when I use them.

Edit - I actually think you have to turn the guide 180 degrees around!

Last edited:
- but that guide obviously isn't sitting right on the chain. It is a while since I used one, so I don't remember exactly how it should sit, but it never has been a problem when I use them.

Edit - I actually think you have to turn the guide 180 degrees around!

I think it sits right? with the high end pointing towards the power gead.

I think it sits right? with the high end pointing towards the power gead.

It sit as it should, just make sure the guide rest on the chain and they can be a tight fit when new and even the paint layer on the bars sometimes makes for snug fit, a spoonful of gentle violence will usually solve it :)

Back