Hustling stump grinder work ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupocoffee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been grinding stumps for several years, since I retired, and find it totally enjoyable. It seems that many folks are reluctant to talk about their practices and their charges. This is for those who don't mind sharing their stories. I have gotten all my work from advertising on Craigs List. It has been enough to give me quite a bit of change but I would starve to death if I was relying on it to make a living. I have found, in my area, the stump grinding business dries up from October until around the first of April. I know a lot of guys chase storms, especially tornados and hurricanes. I am retired and I won't be traveling too far from home but, here in Oklahoma, we tend to have our share of tornados. Do any of you just go knocking on doors? How are you getting work after people have just experienced devastation to their homes and most likely don't have extra money for grinding stumps? There are tons of stumps in the area I live in (in the country) but this is not really a good place to just knock on someone's door. I am curious how you guys hustle work? I don't need any smart remarks about how you aren't going to share your business practices as I have seen in some posts. Just a simple dialog for those who are willing to share their ideas. Thanks.

Like u i retired in 05 and started a mowing and stump grinding business, quit the
mowing this year as too much to do both, i currently have a bandit 2150xp and
trading it for a new bandit 2550 all hydraulic this week, have also used a pto grinder
and a vermeer sc252, i get my business from 4 diff tree services and adv on my
truck plus word of mouth, no other advertising..

I stay busy right thru the winter, but not as busy as march thru october, i do it
mainly to slow down the onslaught of dementia as i am 71, but i avg 3-5 thousand
a month, not bad for a retired old man LOL...

Sometimes i will knock on a door if i see a lot of stumps if business is slow, but
not very often, u can't get the big bucks down here that some of the other guys
in the north say they get per stump, too much competition, but it works for me..

Hope this helps..

Bob...:cheers:

Thanks, Old Man Grinder! That is the sort of thing I was looking for. I have a Vermeer SC352. I bought it used for $12,500 and made that much my first year with it. That is about what I have been making each year but, as I said, I haven't really hustled work other than on Craigs List. I have given serious thought to upgrading to a larger Carlton or Bandit. We have a Bandit dealer in Oklahoma and that is one reason I would give them consideration besides the fact they carry a five year warranty. I mainly want a remote control unit. There doesn't seem to be too much information on Bandits so I hope you will share your impressions with your new Bandit 2550. I have a sheet that I keep with me that I charge per inch of stump. It works for me. I don't know if I am higher or lower than other people because I have never compared prices. I do know that as long as I am reasonable, people will use me rather than renting one on their own. I have never had anyone complain about my prices except one neighbor who I thought I was almost doing charity work for. Ha! Anyway, I know you are excited about your new grinder. Good luck to you.

I've been in the biz for 5 years & a few months. I run a 352 as well. Most of my work now is through tree services with a few stand alone calls mixed in. Lotta grinders in my area, but not many back yard machines. I don't currently advertise, but I've ran ads in the paper in the past, and at best they paid for themselves. I do have signs on my trailer, but have only gotten one call from them. Had a large road sign for about 6 months. During that time, I got a couple calls, about enough to pay for it, when a crack head ran off the road & took it out. Just never replaced it. I do hand out a lot of business cards, tho'.

I'm hesitant to knock on a door. I know I'm on guard when a stranger pulls up to my house, so I figure they'll be on guard as well. I just don't consider it effective in this day & age, but one of the tree guys that I work for bangs on every door in the neighborhood while he's at a job site.

I've considered online advertizing, either Craigslist or even a website, but I've never gotten around to it. I'm currently still working and doing this part time. Got 5 years till retirement, so I want to manage it until that time.

Latest posts

Back