Huztl 660 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

Since finally getting the McCulloch 610 functioning properly (with an engine rebuild), I was finally able to get working on the Huztl 660 kit I ordered when they were on sale around Father's day this past year. The box had been waiting patiently in the garage all this time... Thankfully, we live in CA where our summer was (mostly) dry and all the parts were nicely sealed in their baggies (or so I thought).

More photos to come as I get them off my phone. However here's a good place to start. First thing I did upon receipt of box was put the crank in the big freezer in the garage, where it lived for a couple months (or so). On a warm day recently I had started case assembly and everything slid together quite easily, with just a few taps to get everything moving. My case has about .030 or so between each cheek of the crank and the case.

IMG_1713.sized.jpg

Between then (mid September) and last night, I was able to tinker on and off and finally got as far as I could before running into missing parts. 3 nuts are missing (inner dawg mount, carb mounting), and the nameplate is apparently missing.

I had also ordered the Holzfforma 25" bar & chain to go with this saw. Doing some more reading and seeing the new posts by Bedford T, I see that Huztl has some additional parts I'd like to use... most notably, the flared clutch cover, and I had already planned on ordering the 3/4 wrap handle at some point. I might as well go with the HO oiler and probably maybe a dual-port muffler cover as well. I was hoping Huztl would release a 32" or 36" bar compatible with the 660 as well. I am patient! The 25" ought to do OK for now.

More photos to come... but I gotta find some nuts before I can fire this thing up! I may remove the outer dawg to use the nuts on the carb mount to annoy the neighbors. They already don't talk to me anymore since I started cutting & splitting in my backyard.

Clay

Good call Steve, thanks. I'm going to check the "spares" drawer in my toolbox to see what I've got. "Spares" as in random saved bits that I knew I'd need someday!

Additional photos of the build. Although you receive a box full of parts, and it looks super confusing, it's really pretty easy once you get past the case assembly. All the screws & such seem to be bagged for the appropriate assembly. There are spare rubber parts; I guess to have on hand.

IMG_1726.sized.jpg

IMG_1822.sized.jpg

IMG_1827.sized.jpg

IMG_1828.sized.jpg

IMG_1829.sized.jpg

img

Clay

I just asked this on another thread about this saw. What do you use as instructions or do you just look at another saw? I think I'd be a little overwhelmed looking at the parts without any instructions and pics. I've never done a low end.

I actually did watch a few of the videos, but it's hard for me to follow without the parts in front of me. Somewhere... I don't remember where and apparently I didn't save it... I found the IPL for the MS660 and actually mostly went off that. That didn't show me everything though, so after getting into building it and re-watching certain parts of the assembly videos really helped get it together.

It is overwhelming looking at the box of parts at first. BUT most of the screws & fasteners are bagged for the appropriate assembly. The bags are not marked, but you get the idea when you are looking for say, 2 short torx head screws or 3 shorts and 1 long. It really was a lot easier than I thought. I do recommend doing this if you are thinking about it; I had been thinking about it even before joining AS, and after I saw the kit go on sale for what, $120? I figured I should do it.

Clay

And... some final photos before it's first run.

IMG_1847.sized.jpg

IMG_1848.sized.jpg

It did indeed fire right up after a few pulls. I'm not sure it needs the decompression valve but that might change after it breaks in. It idles mean... throttle is snappy... and it sure blew a lot of smoke (I used 2-stroke oil for assembly). I might be able to get that video uploaded of the first run. Chain gets oiled well enough for now and I haven't gotten it into any of my big wood yet.

Clay

I actually did watch a few of the videos, but it's hard for me to follow without the parts in front of me. Somewhere... I don't remember where and apparently I didn't save it... I found the IPL for the MS660 and actually mostly went off that. That didn't show me everything though, so after getting into building it and re-watching certain parts of the assembly videos really helped get it together.

It is overwhelming looking at the box of parts at first. BUT most of the screws & fasteners are bagged for the appropriate assembly. The bags are not marked, but you get the idea when you are looking for say, 2 short torx head screws or 3 shorts and 1 long. It really was a lot easier than I thought. I do recommend doing this if you are thinking about it; I had been thinking about it even before joining AS, and after I saw the kit go on sale for what, $120? I figured I should do it.

Clay

Wow. That was much cheaper then it is now. I have a 32 inch steel bar. Cut big stuff only after a hurricane so this would be perfect for a large saw to have on reserve.

I almost have a tank through this machine, and noticed something strange. There's a fuel leak... but not out the fuel cap.

As it sits in the garage, during the heat of the day you can smell the fuel. Drips are going down the handle. Upon further inspection, fuel is coming out of the pickup line fitting at the carb it appears. Releasing the pressure in the tank of course solves the problem temporarily.

Of course, when it will be sitting for some time the fuel will be emptied anyway.

Aside from that... compression is definitely coming up. Power is coming up and carb has required retuning of course. Certain fasteners have required re-torquing however that was expected (Locktite was not used everywhere...).

I filed the chain yesterday and noticed it seems like the cutters might be softer than my Oregon chains. It wasn't the sharpest out of the package for sure.

Still... considering how much was spent on this project by purchasing the kit "at the right time" this year, I am not disappointed in the least!

Clay

I almost have a tank through this machine, and noticed something strange. There's a fuel leak... but not out the fuel cap.

As it sits in the garage, during the heat of the day you can smell the fuel. Drips are going down the handle. Upon further inspection, fuel is coming out of the pickup line fitting at the carb it appears. Releasing the pressure in the tank of course solves the problem temporarily.

Of course, when it will be sitting for some time the fuel will be emptied anyway.

Aside from that... compression is definitely coming up. Power is coming up and carb has required retuning of course. Certain fasteners have required re-torquing however that was expected (Locktite was not used everywhere...).

I filed the chain yesterday and noticed it seems like the cutters might be softer than my Oregon chains. It wasn't the sharpest out of the package for sure.

Still... considering how much was spent on this project by purchasing the kit "at the right time" this year, I am not disappointed in the least!

Clay
I know this is old but did you get your leak resolved. Mine is doing the same thing. It will drain the tank and fuel all running down the handle.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The L shaped connector between the hose in the tank and the hose that goes to the carby is bad they all leak there, it's a cheap part from Stihl and could potentially save a saw from leaning out, definitely worth swapping it out.

Look
The L shaped connector between the hose in the tank and the hose that goes to the carby is bad they all leak there, it's a cheap part from Stihl and could potentially save a saw from leaning out, definitely worth swapping it out.
Look carefully at this part!! one of the barbs will be very slightly larger in diameter than the other. The larger diameter barb points down into the tank. Mine also leaked after building it, and realized the issue, a super simple fix!.

Back