Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks I probably could've got a total or Oregon for a little cheaper my local steel guy who I really like had this so I bought it off him. When I bought the OEM seals in other bits for this I told him I was putting together a trashed 066. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the bar and chain on my ms 170, it came square filed, wondering what i should do when it gets dull, i figured its cheaper to buy another one than buy a new file
it cuts very well, and hasn't seemed to stretch.
the bar will tell in time
Likely can be round filed with no issues...will just take a few strokes more than usual to get the rounded gullet.

Finally got some time to get my Huztl 660 together. I didn't do any pressure or vacuum testing, just put it together carefully, filled her up, gave her about 5 good tugs and YEEHAWWWW!!!

What a beast!! I know this may be old hat for most of you but the biggest saw I've ever had was a 362, and this thing felt like a YZ 80 in my hands! What a great grunty tone!

Put her to some wood and she was pretty slow but some tweaking of the high speed needle brought her up in RPM's.

I need to go read some more about tuning before I give her too much of a workout, but all signs are good.

Finally got some time to get my Huztl 660 together. I didn't do any pressure or vacuum testing, just put it together carefully, filled her up, gave her about 5 good tugs and YEEHAWWWW!!!

What a beast!! I know this may be old hat for most of you but the biggest saw I've ever had was a 362, and this thing felt like a YZ 80 in my hands! What a great grunty tone!

Put her to some wood and she was pretty slow but some tweaking of the high speed needle brought her up in RPM's.

I need to go read some more about tuning before I give her too much of a workout, but all signs are good.
Congrats!

Maybe you could take some short cut and use some carb cleaner or something like it and spray your base gasket while it's running and see if your idle changes the testing is kinda important. It might help you detect a leak that would soon cause problems. Leaks are not rare on a new build. You got your toy now and want it to last. Just saying...

Hello guys I have lurked here on and off for a long time. I have an old (mid 80s) 028 super, and was recently given an 038 magnum (all it need was a muffler and some cleaning and TLC :)

I did a little free hand slabbing with the 038 and decided I needed to get a mill and a bigger saw. So, I have a Huztl 660 kit on its way as well as their 36" mill. I am really looking forward to building this and making some nice slabs with it. We have a lot of red oak, white cedar and white pine down around the property. I have read the thread in completetion and will review it again before the kit gets here (hopefully this week, it was ordered on 3/14). I am pretty handy and have rebuilt motors and transmissions for various cars and trucks over the years. Have rebuilt and repaired several marine 2 strokes, and tinkered with small engines since I was a kid. But I am looking forward to the new experience of actually building one fresh. This is really a cool opportunity we have with this kit. I plan to let my 6 year old daughter help me where she can. I think she'll like it.

I'll let you all know how it looks when it gets here. Thanks for putting this thread together.

One question - Is it possible to pull the preinstalled seals and reuse them? I was hoping to pull the seals so I can be sure the bearings don't have any side load and the crank turns freely. I can probably get them at the dealer if I need to.

Jb, Speaking of tuning how do you have your 660 tuned while you are milling.
Listen to the video and you will hear the "Tune" much better than text can explain. Basically there's still some burble in the cut. Keeps heat down completely that way while it is still getting broken in. After a couple more gallons are through it, I'll take it to just barely running clean in the cut with no burble or only an occasional one. Cylinder/piston and exhaust temps are tremendously cooler at that state of tune.

When folks quote numbers like that they are usually associated with emission compliance not longevity and they get it confused.
Happened across one of the guy's posts about putting a few hrs on Chinese builds:
i didn't keep a log book on it-- my guess would be about 100 hours on the husky clone --

the 440 i built a year before probably has three or four times the running-- and the cylinder still looks good in it--

the china cylinders seem to hold up "good enough" for most use-- lately i have been running 50 to one mix in both saws-- they seem to like it so far--

i wouldn't sweat how long a china made jug last too much -- their easy to swap out and cheap- to replace if they fail--

my 372 clone is a 50mm-- i have threatened to put a 52mm jug on it-- but the thing is running and pulling so well-- i dare not mess with it--

ha wot-- the ns440 built the same way has sen lots of use--

my email.jpg the reply.jpg I asked about the tune because we are really stressing our engines milling and I am looking at it with a critical eye. Using common sense I determined that I would have better fuel flow and therefore better cooling using a larger jet in the carb and I went to a .76 jet. I made mention of it and someone here swooped in and made light of it. So I wrote walbro technical support and just wanted to know if I was on the right track and it looks like I was right again. I think 32:1 or at the very least 40:1 should be used in our mix. I attached my email and his reply.

I asked about the tune because we are really stressing our engines milling and I am looking at it with a critical eye. Using common sense I determined that I would have better fuel flow and therefore better cooling using a larger jet in the carb and I went to a .76 jet. I made mention of it and someone here swooped in and made light of it. So I wrote walbro technical support and just wanted to know if I was on the right track and it looks like I was right again. I think 32:1 or at the very least 40:1 should be used in our mix. I attached my email and his reply.
Keep ignoring us! The ONLY time the larger jet will make a difference is IF you cannot get it rich enough with the stock jet. You continue to show your COMPLETE lack of BASIC understanding of how chainsaws work, yet insist on trying to advise others! Bad information is worse than no information!

That's why I asked the carb experts, the folks that make them. Sorry if having other experts weigh in is hurtful. I included my question and thier reply. And you ignore it. I am happy I could help others get the actual facts. They are written out for you in language I know you can understand. Basic stuff.

Keep ignoring us! The ONLY time the larger jet will make a difference is IF you cannot get it rich enough with the stock jet. You continue to show your COMPLETE lack of BASIC understanding of how chainsaws work, yet insist on trying to advise others! Bad information is worse than no information!
Using H1R could be a problem milling. I had a few saws that I couldn't get rich enough with the regular jets when using that mix.

That's why I asked the carb experts, the folks that make them. Sorry if having other experts weigh in is hurtful. I included my question and thier reply. And you ignore it. I am happy I could help others get the actual facts. They are written out for you in language I know you can understand. Basic stuff.
As I already pointed out, you lack the basic understanding of what you're even taking about. You are a liability to this community, yet too arrogant to even know it.

BTW, that tech gave you absolutely no information or explanation at all.

I'm all ears to new information. However, you throw out advise that is contrary to what is known to be true to those with many years of experience. You have little to no experience with chainsaws, yet come in here trying to prove that which you know nothing about. Several of us have tried to politely steer you in the right direction, but you never listen. You only set out to try and prove yourself right. That's why you now get this kind of response from me.

Using H1R could be a problem milling. I had a few saws that I couldn't get rich enough with the regular jets when using that mix.
True. That's why my very first question to him was, "Are you not able to tune the saw rich enough?".

To everyone except Bedford, here's how it works, since he cares nothing about the truth. The fuel at WOT is the sum of idle fuel (adjusted with the L needle), fuel from the fixed jet, and fuel provided by the H needle...A+B+C. ONLY if you are not able to get enough fuel at WOT is there any advantage to increasing the size of the main jet. If you are able to get enough fuel with the stock jet, the only thing a larger jet will do is to require that the H needle be set further in ("leaner"). In other words, more B will require less C for the same total fuel.

This was nothing to do with your extensive knowledge. I asked the folks who build and design the carbs. They answered me and I shared it. It seems like you are flat ingoring what the answer to my question was. They would very likely know more about how a carb works on a chainsaw than you. So you make this about me. Anyone with eyes can see the response. Bedford T was seeking a clear answer and got it. So you trash me. This seems like a tantrum a youngster might make to an adult authority, here being walbro.

This was nothing to do with your extensive knowledge. I asked the folks who build and design the carbs. They answered me and I shared it. It seems like you are flat ingoring what the answer to my question was. They would very likely know more about how a carb works on a chainsaw than you. So you make this about me. Anyone with eyes can see the response. Bedford T was seeking a clear answer and got it. So you trash me. This seems like a tantrum a youngster might make to an adult authority, here being walbro.
No, it's not a tantrum. It's called exasperation at an arrogant and delusional narcissist that's trying to act like he knows something about which he is clueless. I provided a clear technical explanation, and the only thing you hear is that someone is disagreeing with you. Sad.

One item to note is emission standards effected the Jets size they used in building the carbs. The larger Jets went smaller like .69. So my desire to use a larger jet was an effort to improve the lubrication and therefore cool the saw more effectively.

One item to note is emission standards effected the Jets size they used in building the carbs. The larger Jets went smaller like .69. So my desire to use a larger jet was an effort to improve the lubrication and therefore cool the saw more effectively.
Tuned is tuned, no matter what size fixed jet you're using. If you were able to achieve proper tune with the stock jet, a larger jet is doing NOTHING to provide additional lubrication or cooling.

Back