Hydraulic Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterbean 150

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Morning friends, I've cut and burned firewood my whole life. Last year I came across a Husky 22 ton splitter at a good price and i bought it. What a blessing it has been! It allows me to get more firewood from the knotty sections. I have a question for thise that have actually used different machines. Im considering building my own splitter. It's gonna have a lifter and either a moveable wedge or a box style wedge. How will the box wedge perform in knotty rounds? Most of the wood i get comes from storm/wind damaged trees so i usually end up with twisted trees and big knotty trunks to work up. Would i be better offwith a single cutter and adjustable wedge or will a box wedge work well for those? Thanks for the replies and looking forward to your answers...

I think you'd need a LOT of tonnage to get knotty pieces through a box wedge. Personally I'd go with a 4 and or 6 way wedge that can drop down all the way to allow you to just split pieces in half for when you're dealing with knotty pieces.

A 22ton splitter will work good with a 4way, but a 6way may be pushing it, especially with really knotty wood. I wouldnt even consider a box wedge with only 22 tons. Since you are considering building your own machine, using a bigger cyl and with enough beef, then a box wedge design can be made to work. Just be prepared for a lot of slivers and little pieces.

Back