Hydraulic Whine in cold weather.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HTML:
Well, I ain't got a heater like that, Guess i could get some thinner fluid. That's gonna be a pain though. Guess it's better than burning up the system. I just need to split about three cords. Would a heatlamp work if placed close facing the tank. The tank is big though.

just use a hair dryer and aim it at the tank for a while, thats what i did it works great.
LOL, That seems like it would take a long time, Dunno. Guess my hair dryer ain't worth a crap.:hmm3grin2orange:

haha yea it works great for me, but i forgot to mention my hydraulic tank is only about a gallon big. i have no idea why its so small but the splitter works great, it has split everytthing i have put into it so far

ATF mix.. NO

It is not recommended to mix ATF fluid with regular hydraulic oil.
The best solution is to use the AW32 fluid. It will be thinner in cold weather but not nearly as thin as ATF. It should fare well in the summer months as well. Short of that, a tank heater will work fine.

Thanks

Kevin@speeco

Kevin@speeco - can you comment on why suction side filtration is used? (I posted last night at length on this). Being involved in marine hydraulics, we use either return filtration or high pressure filtration.

The best solution is to use the AW32 fluid. It will be thinner in cold weather but not nearly as thin as ATF. It should fare well in the summer months as well. Short of that, a tank heater will work fine.

Thanks

Kevin@speeco
Thanks Kevin, A tank heater it will be then.

Dang Southahners, always lookin for a reason to go hide in the house when it gets below 60 :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, if it makes ya feel better, run the ram in and out empty a couple times before putting it to work. Otherwise just give 'er billy and the oil will be up to temp in no time. I can point ya to literally hundreds of tractors running every day on dairies around here, down to -30°F, usually with nothing more than an engine block heater on em. They whine for a bit when it's cold, then life is good for the rest of the day. The way some of the people on here talk, the repair shops should be buying hydraulic pumps by the boatload, but for some odd reason, they just keep running. (And yes, many are the same basic open center pump found on splitters, just a bit bigger and single stage).

Git to work SS, sheesh, whaddya think it's your birthday or somethin?
:biggrinbounce2:

Dang Southahners, always lookin for a reason to go hide in the house when it gets below 60 :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, if it makes ya feel better, run the ram in and out empty a couple times before putting it to work. Otherwise just give 'er billy and the oil will be up to temp in no time. I can point ya to literally hundreds of tractors running every day on dairies around here, down to -30°F, usually with nothing more than an engine block heater on em. They whine for a bit when it's cold, then life is good for the rest of the day. The way some of the people on here talk, the repair shops should be buying hydraulic pumps by the boatload, but for some odd reason, they just keep running. (And yes, many are the same basic open center pump found on splitters, just a bit bigger and single stage).

Git to work SS, sheesh, whaddya think it's your birthday or somethin?
:biggrinbounce2:

Just like them northerners running inside when it gets above 70.:D

Thanks

Kevin@speeco

Kevin, what percent power loss should be expected when using AW32 in say 30 degree weather (ambient air temp) vs 100 degree weather. All other things being equal of course, no oil coolers or anything. From my limited experience, AW32 would work great in 30 degree temp as with only 6 gallons it would remain very warm. But in 100 degree temp with only 6 gallons I would expect to see the oil get hot really quick to the point it would see significant loss in power. Possibly 25 to 35% loss of power....Am I wrong? If I was to run AW32 in 100 degree temps I would most definately run a cooler. Once again, am I wrong?

Kevin, what percent power loss should be expected when using AW32 in say 30 degree weather (ambient air temp) vs 100 degree weather. All other things being equal of course, no oil coolers or anything. From my limited experience, AW32 would work great in 30 degree temp as with only 6 gallons it would remain very warm. But in 100 degree temp with only 6 gallons I would expect to see the oil get hot really quick to the point it would see significant loss in power. Possibly 25 to 35% loss of power....Am I wrong? If I was to run AW32 in 100 degree temps I would most definately run a cooler. Once again, am I wrong?

Until it gets hot to the point where it can leak past the seals, (read DAMM HOTTT!) you are not losing power. 2500psi of 0°F oil puts the same force on the ram that 2500psi of 250°F oil does. As the oil heats up and thins out, you might lose a BIT of pressure to leakage, but if it's 25% plus, you have way bigger problems.

The people in this post who state never run above 180-150, whatever, have never run hydraulic driven equipment all day long. At 50° ambient temp, seeing 200-225 on the hydraulic temp guage is flat normal if you're working it. If you hit 300° then you're looking at a problem, not necessarily a problem that will shut you down today, but a long term problem.

The only reason I see for splitter companies to tout the low "high temperature" spec, is to avoid lawsuits by morons leaning on a hot tank. There is no performance issue running it hotter than 150. Any of you "hot rod" diesel guys got a trans temp guage on your auto trans? Where does that run?...Gotcha

I run straight dextron in my splitter. Seems to work good.
I can not say how it works on a 100 degree day though because there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I'd be splitting wood in that heat.

Hydraulic pumps are a different animal from an AT. Life drops quickly with temps over 180-200 F. At higher temps, the film thickness of the VG32 oil will get thin or weak and not properly lube the internal parts. Best to Follow the geeks guidelines for max temp and oil viscosity here.

We allow trans temps up to 250 f intermittently (don't like it, but the builder can't fit bigger coolers) but limit max on hydraulic systems to 180 f.

Hydraulic pumps are a different animal from an AT. Life drops quickly with temps over 180-200 F. At higher temps, the film thickness of the VG32 oil will get thin or weak and not properly lube the internal parts. Best to Follow the geeks guidelines for max temp and oil viscosity here.

We allow trans temps up to 250 f intermittently (don't like it, but the builder can't fit bigger coolers) but limit max on hydraulic systems to 180 f.

Most farm equipment runs hydraulic oil heavier than 32. I looked up a couple of the "Universal" type hydraulic oils, and they're all about 58-60. JD HyGard is there too, at 59.

CC - after reading some of your posts on this thread, I'm starting to think you make some cool boats. Wanna share some pics?

Back