I Am A Now Stihl MasterWrench Certified Technician!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philosophical question. Can you make a business repairing chainsaws?

If you're repairing chainsaws, you're mostly going to work on homeowner saws. Unless you're in a big timber market, or even if you are, I assume the homeowner saws are going to outnumber the true pro (expensive) saws by a large margin.

Doing simple things like sharpening or replacing chains, "tune ups" (checking the carb, replacing the plug). Maybe fifty bucks worth of work? By the time you pay insurance, pay for your shop and utilities, purchase and stock parts, then pay yourself, you'd have to cycle through at least two or three saws an hour to make any sort of money.

"Ooh, a hundred bucks an hour! That's $4,000 a week!" If you actually have that many saws come through the door, and if you can spend that much time working on them versus talking to customers. Then you have to pay the tax man, yada yada. Plus that 50 dollar repair involved anywhere from 5 (spark plug) to to 30 bucks (new chain) in parts. How the hell do you turn that into a viable business? Buy cheap plugs, stock spools of different chains (which you now have to count the links, break and spin rivets = more time spent)

Top of the line homeowner saw, Stihl MS 250, DSRP $399.99.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/

Prices only go down from there (for homeowner saws).

How much am I gonna pay you to repair that saw vs buy a new one? I know, it's a larger conversation, living in a throw away society vs making do with what you have. But if I buy a new saw, I can take it home today and start working with it instead of making another trip to town in a couple days or a week to pay a substantial percentage of the cost of a new saw to recover my old, used saw.

Back when I worked I'd rebuild carburetors, repair chain brakes, replace starter ropes and rewind springs, replace engine mounts, fix oil pumps, new fuel lines, even hone cylinders and replace piston rings. Clutch springs, drive sprockets, all quick and easy to do. If I spent an hour working on a saw that was a long time. But I cost my boss ten bucks an hour so it was time well spent. Even at that rate I drew the line at replacing coils, cylinders, crank seals or crank shafts, it was too much time (money) to spend on repairing a beat up old saw. I also quit replacing bar tips: drilling or pounding out the old rivets just took too long.

I'd think that repairing saws as a hobby, working "under the table" (note to algorithm overlords, I would NEVER do such a thing!!!), no insurance, using a home workshop (don't let your homeowners insurance company know) certainly no employees, maybe you can make beer money. Maybe. But it's not a business.

I agree with all that but I will add one of the most lucrative careers out there that requires some of the least debt and least time in school is electrical lineman. In 15 months after graduating high school you can be working and earning a helluva wage. In the last 29 years I have had countless numbers of my Industrial Arts students do it. Most started practicing climbing in high school but it is not required. What is required is a strong work ethic and common sense. I have only had two students not complete the program. One was good at climbing under ideal conditions and excellent with the the bookwork. The problem was he was a bit timid. The old guys at the school got him up on poles and started messing with him shaking the poles and such. It was done to simulate real life conditions. He got spooked and switched to sub-station electrician and is excelling 12 years later. Another was able to handle the climbing but could not do the math. The 4 years I had him in class I kept stressing the math. He went to school but dropped out. He came back to me and said "Damn Mr G you were right about the math, I wished I would have paid attention to you". All others were successful and are earning an excellent living. One of which is my nephew in-law.

https://nwicc.edu/academics/programs-of-study/powerline/

Some of my best friends worked for Duke Power. One of their grandfathers was a big shot there and got them on.

They usually work it hot. I would be a nervous wreck.

Some of my best friends worked for Duke Power. One of their grandfathers was a big shot there and got them on.

They usually work it hot. I would be a nervous wreck.
My neighbor(also a member here) started out as a lineman for the local power company. He switched to the generating plant and is now near the top of the chain at the plant. Not bad for 15 months of school, common sense, and a good work ethic.

I agree with all that but I will add one of the most lucrative careers out there that requires some of the least debt and least time in school is electrical lineman. In 15 months after graduating high school you can be working and earning a helluva wage. In the last 29 years I have had countless numbers of my Industrial Arts students do it. Most started practicing climbing in high school but it is not required. What is required is a strong work ethic and common sense. I have only had two students not complete the program. One was good at climbing under ideal conditions and excellent with the the bookwork. The problem was he was a bit timid. The old guys at the school got him up on poles and started messing with him shaking the poles and such. It was done to simulate real life conditions. He got spooked and switched to sub-station electrician and is excelling 12 years later. Another was able to handle the climbing but could not do the math. The 4 years I had him in class I kept stressing the math. He went to school but dropped out. He came back to me and said "Damn Mr G you were right about the math, I wished I would have paid attention to you". All others were successful and are earning an excellent living. One of which is my nephew in-law.

https://nwicc.edu/academics/programs-of-study/powerline/
Out of all the classes I had in High School, Industrial Arts was my favorite.
The second was typing class. I can still type 80 words a min to this day
Back in my day, they didn't have vocational schools where a person could learn a trade. I have always been mechanically inclined and after leaving the Navy, I was fortunate enough to be hired by the NCR Corp.. Retired from there at age 51 with 31 years of working for a great company.
Thanks Bill, you have served your students well. :cool: OT

Philosophical question. Can you make a business repairing chainsaws?

If you're repairing chainsaws, you're mostly going to work on homeowner saws. Unless you're in a big timber market, or even if you are, I assume the homeowner saws are going to outnumber the true pro (expensive) saws by a large margin.

Doing simple things like sharpening or replacing chains, "tune ups" (checking the carb, replacing the plug). Maybe fifty bucks worth of work? By the time you pay insurance, pay for your shop and utilities, purchase and stock parts, then pay yourself, you'd have to cycle through at least two or three saws an hour to make any sort of money.

"Ooh, a hundred bucks an hour! That's $4,000 a week!" If you actually have that many saws come through the door, and if you can spend that much time working on them versus talking to customers. Then you have to pay the tax man, yada yada. Plus that 50 dollar repair involved anywhere from 5 (spark plug) to to 30 bucks (new chain) in parts. How the hell do you turn that into a viable business? Buy cheap plugs, stock spools of different chains (which you now have to count the links, break and spin rivets = more time spent)

Top of the line homeowner saw, Stihl MS 250, DSRP $399.99.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/

Prices only go down from there (for homeowner saws).

How much am I gonna pay you to repair that saw vs buy a new one? I know, it's a larger conversation, living in a throw away society vs making do with what you have. But if I buy a new saw, I can take it home today and start working with it instead of making another trip to town in a couple days or a week to pay a substantial percentage of the cost of a new saw to recover my old, used saw.

Back when I worked I'd rebuild carburetors, repair chain brakes, replace starter ropes and rewind springs, replace engine mounts, fix oil pumps, new fuel lines, even hone cylinders and replace piston rings. Clutch springs, drive sprockets, all quick and easy to do. If I spent an hour working on a saw that was a long time. But I cost my boss ten bucks an hour so it was time well spent. Even at that rate I drew the line at replacing coils, cylinders, crank seals or crank shafts, it was too much time (money) to spend on repairing a beat up old saw. I also quit replacing bar tips: drilling or pounding out the old rivets just took too long.

I'd think that repairing saws as a hobby, working "under the table" (note to algorithm overlords, I would NEVER do such a thing!!!), no insurance, using a home workshop (don't let your homeowners insurance company know) certainly no employees, maybe you can make beer money. Maybe. But it's not a business.
RTRSAM You wrote a book! He is a teenager for Gods sake! Maybe not even a teenager yet. Lighten up a little. jmho :cool: OT

I ain't going to college buddy.

My peers will be building up deep debt for 4 years while I'm out with my one-man mowing business getting RICH!
As someone who went straight into the building trades right out of highschool, I urge you to rethink this plan.
Two of my daughters have graduated in the last three years. One just finished her Masters with very little debt, the other finished a BS in Physics debt free. A third daughter is about halfway through a biology degree, also with no debt. My wife went back to college at 30 years old and it was very difficult. It just gets harder as you get older. The wife's degree totally changed our lives for the better. It quadrupled our annual income within ten years.

I'm not trying to lecture you, just offering a perspective. I know a lot of small business owners who work 60+ hour weeks just to pay the taxes. I also know a lot of people who have degrees that have nothing to do with their job and they don't regret the experience one bit.

I was able to get all my degrees without a penny in debt. So did my sons. I understand not everyone has to go to college but ................
1. No one has ever had a college degree taken away from them
2. Everyone needs education.
3. I have only had my degrees held against me once. That was when I was young with 2 little boys and a pregnant wife. I interviewed for a job at the local turd processing plant and the boss said he would hire me but hought I would leave as soon as something better came up.
The optimum phrase to be exact is "Your over qualified." Am I right Bill?
:cool: OT

My college debt was a great investment and would do it again easily! Many careers take the long game approach. You must be wise when selecting your career though. Pick a career paying >$120,000 then make sure you graduate with less debt than income, obviously pick something that challenges you and you wouldn't mind doing. Live below your means for 2 years, pay off your debt, live in a cheap apartment, ride your bike, fix things, drive a beater that gets you from A to B whatever you need to do to save. Then buy an old home and go through it room by room crafting your dream. It's a ton of fun and very satisfying. You will learn plumbing, carpentry, finish carpentry, roofing, installing a window, tiling, HVAC, it's amazing fun! I have paid skilled professionals to come over and sit in a chair to walk me through how to cut, frame, weatherize and install a door. It was an amazing experience. Built a genuine relationship. Your employer will likely give you several percent of your income free into a retirement plan. Get an HSA and start investing that thing. By maxing out your 401k or 403b and HSA you can offset your income about $30,000. From there ,again, it's a the long game. The first $100,000 will take about 5-7 years, then the second $100k will take about half that 3-4 years, then it's exponential returns. Compound interest is amazing. The next $100k will likley be in about 1.5 years. You will fail at time, things will break, set back will occur. It's like. Learn to breath in the rhythm of it.

However, money then becoming a novelty. You will realize, hopefully, that you are still empty apart from a relationship with your creator. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it's true.

Enjoy the ride and goodluck!

My college debt was a great investment and would do it again easily! Many careers take the long game approach. You must be wise when selecting your career though. Pick a career paying >$120,000 then make sure you graduate with less debt than income, obviously pick something that challenges you and you wouldn't mind doing. Live below your means for 2 years, pay off your debt, live in a cheap apartment, ride your bike, fix things, drive a beater that gets you from A to B whatever you need to do to save. Then buy an old home and go through it room by room crafting your dream. It's a ton of fun and very satisfying. You will learn plumbing, carpentry, finish carpentry, roofing, installing a window, tiling, HVAC, it's amazing fun! I have paid skilled professionals to come over and sit in a chair to walk me through how to cut, frame, weatherize and install a door. It was an amazing experience. Built a genuine relationship. Your employer will likely give you several percent of your income free into a retirement plan. Get an HSA and start investing that thing. By maxing out your 401k or 403b and HSA you can offset your income about $30,000. From there ,again, it's a the long game. The first $100,000 will take about 5-7 years, then the second $100k will take about half that 3-4 years, then it's exponential returns. Compound interest is amazing. The next $100k will likley be in about 1.5 years. You will fail at time, things will break, set back will occur. It's like. Learn to breath in the rhythm of it.

However, money then becoming a novelty. You will realize, hopefully, that you are still empty apart from a relationship with your creator. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean it's true.

Enjoy the ride and goodluck!
Idk. My cousin in Massachusetts went to an electrician school and was an electrician for almost 2 years before he was promoted and probably makes close to 100k now. I am not sure what trade I want to go into though. I am considering welding.

As someone who went straight into the building trades right out of highschool, I urge you to rethink this plan.
Two of my daughters have graduated in the last three years. One just finished her Masters with very little debt, the other finished a BS in Physics debt free. A third daughter is about halfway through a biology degree, also with no debt. My wife went back to college at 30 years old and it was very difficult. It just gets harder as you get older. The wife's degree totally changed our lives for the better. It quadrupled our annual income within ten years.

I'm not trying to lecture you, just offering a perspective. I know a lot of small business owners who work 60+ hour weeks just to pay the taxes. I also know a lot of people who have degrees that have nothing to do with their job and they don't regret the experience one bit.
better to have the degree and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I got my degree right after HS and then went to work blue collar, general contracting. Can still use the degree if needed as I get older and worn out. It opens doors even if it's not related to the job, just a BS in something is needed.

I got my degree right after HS and then went to work blue collar, general contracting. Can still use the degree if needed as I get older and worn out. It opens doors even if it's not related to the job, just a BS in something is needed.
Unfortunately this is good advise. Lots of places that pay well want someone with a degree even if it doesn't have jack all to do with what they are doing.

Unfortunately this is good advise. Lots of places that pay well want someone with a degree even if it doesn't have jack all to do with what they are doing.
Like it or not, it's a class system. You are either on the inside or you are on the outside.
I am not complaining. I chose my own road. If I had it to do all over again I would have joined the military right out of HS then gone to college for something I could do outdoors. I don't know if I would encourage a young man to join the military in this day and age but the rest still stands.

Like it or not, it's a class system. You are either on the inside or you are on the outside.
I am not complaining. I chose my own road. If I had it to do all over again I would have joined the military right out of HS then gone to college for something I could do outdoors. I don't know if I would encourage a young man to join the military in this day and age but the rest still stands.
I'm blissfully awear of that, how we have a manager with a biology degree and can't manage his way out of a wet paper sack. It's stupid. People used to be hired based on their skills....
I have a young brother in law in the army, doing about the same you suggested other then he went to school before hand and got a bs in criminal science. I think they will pay off his school loans though.

That is why I say often no one ever loses their degree. No one can ever take it away from you.

Back