I am about to get started on the Bandmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice start.

I am looking forward to watching your build.:popcorn:

Tubing Weld

I finally got the weld out of the three inch square tubing sections. They are ten inches long and the best way I found was to use a new 12" flat mill file and just go at it from both ends. I tried a dremel tool and a die grinder but you just cant get to it. Ive got a good slick fit on the 2 1/2 inch frame tubing and Im ready to weld up the post, slider section and v groove feet.

There is a large storm in western tenn headed this way and we are in for storms friday and saturday and then SNOW if you can believe that sunday and monday. Im not sure how much I will get done until next tuesday. I have to weld outside here at the house but have access to a nice enclosed shop then.

Ill keep posting pictures and progress. Thanks for the interest. Maybe someone else can learn from my struggles. (This is my first bandmill. )

Mike

I finally got back on the mill

I got out of the house today for the first time in about 11 days. I was about to go nuts. Made some good progress on the bandmill. The slider piece that raises and lowers the wheels is a pain to keep in line and make smooth. You cannot weld the carriage frame without drawing the steel tubing but you can compensate for it. You can also post heat it with a torch and straighten it. Anyway I got the carriage head together and on the track. YEAH. The slider is really smooth. You can see from the pictures Im well on my way.

Did some more mill work last night

I worked on the tensioner/blade tracking mechanism last night. I also got most of the steel cut for my log arch. The tensioner is pretty neat...it uses a sliding plate affair and a heavy duty hinge made from black pipe. Its probably the most complicated piece of the whole mill.

Right now Im thinking 10hp

Ive got a 10hp Brigss but Im looking hard at the 13hp Chinese Honda knockoffs...HF has them pretty cheap...

Should work good! The 13 H.P. wouldn't have to work as hard and might last longer. I saw them myself,can't beat the price on those.:) Mark

Any new progress yet Mike? Really looks good so far. Do the V groove pully wheels ride on the angle irons or on the outside flat? :cheers:

I havent been working on the mill in the last week

Ive been tied up on the farm and Ive got two sons graduating from college this week.

The pulley ride on a one inch angle iron that is welded point up on the flat of the large angle iron. The v groove pulleys fit this angle perfectly allowing more bearing surface on the pulley itself. Makes for a much smoother roll.

I just bought a new MIG and Ive got to get a cart made for it then I will get back on the mill.

Too many projects too little time

Ive been tied up on the farm and Ive got two sons graduating from college this week.

The pulley ride on a one inch angle iron that is welded point up on the flat of the large angle iron. The v groove pulleys fit this angle perfectly allowing more bearing surface on the pulley itself. Makes for a much smoother roll.

I just bought a new MIG and Ive got to get a cart made for it then I will get back on the mill.

Too many projects too little time

Hear that! :cheers:

Back