I am new to stump grinding and have some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connoraz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been interested in stump grinding for awhile and have finally opened my own business. I am getting an RG37 on tuesday. My question is, What spare equipment should I keep in my truck in case something happens on the jobsite. I know I need spare teeth and pockets but how many should I keep on me? AIr filters? What other equipment is good to have on hand?

Also, What's some basic maintenance tips that will help prevent problems with the machine in the future?

Spare safety glasses. Ear plugs.
Chainsaw to shorten stumps with. Consider having carbide chain, too.
Round-point shovel to move piles of dirt. (mentioned)
Two blowers for cleanup. This can be fairly painless if you get a high-powered backpack blower and pair it with a handheld so that you got blowing power in two hands at once. Using just one blower is for folks with time on their hands.
Sheets of plywood to protect nearby windows. (mentioned previously)
Hand winch and some nice long chains for when you get stuck. Don't even think you won't.
Tire plugs and a portable air compressor. Especially if those tires are not going to be polyfilled. I recommend Tech brand plugs.
Battery jump box. Some good jumper cables as well.
Spare gas in a safety can, so that it never spills.

Number one accessory for stump grinders: a hand grinder with a very coarse diamond wheel for sharpening your teeth while on the machine. The money you save sharpening your own teeth on the wheel will pay for itself 10 times over the cost of this wheel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XS2LTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wear an exceptional dust respirator when sharpening the teeth. Carbide dust is very bad for your lungs. Make those safety glasses the full wrap-around style, too. Tungsten carbide is a very heavy metal, so its particles are gonna hit your face and eyes a lot harder than plain steel.

Belts and know how to keep them tight and spares in the machine or in the truck towing it.

Don't sharpen the teeth. Send them out or replace them. Three points work best imho.
Ehhh... I will agree sharpening teeth is an acquired art, but really no worse than learning to sharpen a chain... starting out, money is more valuable than time, and I think every guy should be able to at least touch them up. Maybe every 3rd or 4th time get a factory edge for sure. And just like a saw, don't grind with dull teeth. Hard on the machine, and just unproductive. I like the 3 sides as well, rotate and get back at it, and then maintenance in the evening.
Plus one on belt maintenance and replacements to be sure.

You guys need to buy the wheel I posted and try it. It takes about 30 seconds per tooth. 15 minutes for all the teeth on my Rayco Super Junior.

No removal. No installation. Those that argue otherwise haven't done it.

Besides, sharpened teeth are considerably sharper than new ones.
All true. You can get that stuff on you, not me, never. Told my boss years ago you can do it, not my thing. I work on tools not funky metal edges spewing two toxic things I don't need to breathe. Oldtimeers had wet stone machines not dry grinders. They knew better.

Hello everyone, I have been interested in stump grinding for awhile and have finally opened my own business. I am getting an RG37 on tuesday. My question is, What spare equipment should I keep in my truck in case something happens on the jobsite. I know I need spare teeth and pockets but how many should I keep on me? AIr filters? What other equipment is good to have on hand?

Also, What's some basic maintenance tips that will help prevent problems with the machine in the future?
They are a great stump cutter, we just got one last year.
1 suggestion is to check your drive sprocket bolts for the tracks. One of ours lost 7 of the 9 bolts which pooched the hub threads, the replacement was 373.00$ with bolts.

All true. You can get that stuff on you, not me, never. Told my boss years ago you can do it, not my thing. I work on tools not funky metal edges spewing two toxic things I don't need to breathe. Oldtimeers had wet stone machines not dry grinders. They knew better.

Two toxic things?

Now carbide dust is well known to cause lung problems, Nothing on the skin that I am aware of.

What's #2?

I call B.S. on that one. I worked in a machine shop early in my career that built cutting tools. There were at least 50 employees who spent 8-10 hours a day staring through a magnifying glass backing off countersinks and rotary burrs with an air spindle. Their was a dust collector hooked to each one, but they were not wet grinders.

I call B.S. on that one. I worked in a machine shop early in my career that built cutting tools. There were at least 50 employees who spent 8-10 hours a day staring through a magnifying glass backing off countersinks and rotary burrs with an air spindle. Their was a dust collector hooked to each one, but they were not wet grinders.
I call bs on you. The guy who retired from doing my chipper blades and stump teeth for Devon told us the stones are as bad for your lungs as the tooth metal. He didn't grind anything dry. Maybe he was the smart one. Just because you know they used to do dry grinds doesn't mean it is good for you.

Enjoy your cheap shots. I'm pretty much used to it with you uninformed fools. You should go grind something toxic. You know about natural selection?
Dumb looks are still free.

I call bs on you. The guy who retired from doing my chipper blades and stump teeth for Devon told us the stones are as bad for your lungs as the tooth metal. He didn't grind anything dry. Maybe he was the smart one. Just because you know they used to do dry grinds doesn't mean it is good for you.

Enjoy your cheap shots. I'm pretty much used to it with you uninformed fools. You should go grind something toxic. You know about natural selection?
Dumb looks are still free.
Don't get emotional, it's okay to admit you don't know everything.

Something to consider when stump grinding. People are captivated by the process and will stand in dangerous areas watching.

Don't let them!

I've seen stumpers throw some really random stuff.

Be very careful of anything or anybody in the stumpers range.

I call bs on you. The guy who retired from doing my chipper blades and stump teeth for Devon told us the stones are as bad for your lungs as the tooth metal.

Ok. Yes! All abrasive powders are bad for your lungs. The wheel I put up is a diamond blade, which is not typically considered an "abrasive" like carborundum or aluminum oxide. And especially carbide dust.

Tungsten carbide dust is classified as a Group 2A carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), indicating that it is probably carcinogenic to humans.
Occupational safety guidelines strictly regulate exposure to carbide dust.
  • Diamond grinding wheels produce fine dust particles during the grinding process. While diamond dust is not toxic, inhaling fine particles of any substance can irritate the respiratory system and potentially cause lung issues.
  • The primary concern with diamond dust exposure is mechanical irritation to the respiratory tract rather than toxicity. Inhalation of diamond dust is not known to cause classic pneumoconiosis (scarring) like that seen with some mineral dusts. Chronic, heavy exposure to diamond dust has been associated with a condition called "diamond worker's lung"
Plain old rock dust is bad for your lungs, too. Silica (Silicon Dioxide, SiO2) is infamous for causing Pulmonary Fibrosis, along with Asbestos, glass, or anyplace you might be grinding concrete, rocks, bricks, or concrete.

Pulmonary Fibrosis: Prolonged exposure to high levels of aluminum oxide dust may lead to pulmonary fibrosis, a serious lung condition characterized by scarring of lung tissue. Symptoms of pulmonary fibrosis include persistent cough, difficulty breathing, and fatigue. Inhalation of aluminum oxide dust can cause a lung condition called pneumoconiosis. Occupational safety organizations, such as OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) in the United States, have established exposure limits for aluminum oxide dust to protect workers' health.

Prolonged exposure to high levels of silicon carbide dust may lead to lung damage, including conditions such as pneumoconiosis or silicosis. While silicon carbide itself is not classified as a carcinogen, there is limited evidence suggesting that long-term exposure to high levels of silicon carbide dust may increase the risk of certain respiratory cancers. Occupational safety organizations, such as OSHA in the United States, have established exposure limits for silicon carbide dust to protect workers' health.

Something to consider when stump grinding. People are captivated by the process and will stand in dangerous areas watching.

Don't let them!

I've seen stumpers throw some really random stuff.

Be very careful of anything or anybody in the stumpers range.
two things here

one: I am that guy, I see spinny thing I watch, was standing about 10ft away from my buddies 292 vermeer, directly off to the side and had a chunk come out and hit me right in the lip, his Notch Tri guard grinding net does alright but stuff flies over it pretty easily

two: I had a stump job a while back, 3 crepe myrtles and some little shrubs in a mulch bed between 2 driveways (duplex deal in the retirement community), we had an 811 locate done since I could see a AT&T box in the bed, they came out and painted as they should, right onto the bushes we removed... I got pics prior to cutting the trees down, and came back later to grind the stumps, put my own flags down exactly where the paint marks were and proceeded to hand dig around the stumps before grinding
Neighbor dude comes out and stands over my shoulder as im digging, my shovel is literally hitting him every scoop and he won't back up, and he keeps pointing "oh you don't have to dig here they marked it a foot this way" or "there isn't anything on this end of the bed" even tho I can see wires

45 minute job turned to about 5 hours because of this guy, everything I had to not yell at him or write a bill for my time, dude wouldn't get the hint that he wasn't welcome, I told him he had to go inside for liability since the grinder flings stuff out, we get about 30 seconds into the first stump, I look up and there he is standing right over the net we set out to block chips...

my $0.02, nice only goes so far, a bad review is better than a lawsuit because somebody got an eye poked out by a chip at mach 3, after a few years of doing this I've figured out sometimes you just have to get a point across, I've yelled at exactly 3 karens so far... wish I had a video last time I did lol

from my limited experience with stumpers, keep spare teeth, spare pockets aren't a bad idea, also keep tools with you to swap them on the job, a battery impact and socket set is good, if you have dual wheels, have tools to remove outside duals too, if you have tracks, keep tools to put tracks back on, keep spare belts too

I like to keep a spare hydraulic hose, find out what fittings and hoses your machine uses and keep a hose & every adaptor to make it fit, if you blow a hose it's always Friday at 6pm and no shop in town is open to make a new one, ask how I know

also, call 811, even if you are only grinding an inch deep, it's not a big deal to mark the area you're grinding with white flags and have them come out in 3 days to mark, I've had stuff marked and was surprised how close power and gas lines were to what I was about to grind unmarked

One job I had was grinding some stumps at an AT&T center that were near an underground fiber optic underground line.

A fellow from AT&T monitored my activity close up until I was finished.

When he gave me the 'stop' signal.

You can bet I stopped.

I was still worried. There were about 400 employees and hitting that cable would have been a major mistake.

Why are all of those people looking out their windows?

Because their system is down!

Why are they looking at me?

Once I though I was hitting metal because I was seeing sparks at the stump cutter teeth.

Come to find out the owner had buried a 220v. power line from his house to his garage and had forgot about it.

He wasn't upset as he was there coaching me.

But I could have received a fatal electric shock.

No damage to me or the machine but it was a lesson.

I could have easily dug around looking for what I was hitting.

Once an employee got the stump cutter wheel into a chain link fence.

It was an ugly mess for sure but no injuries.

--------------

I won't mention names on this one but I know a fellow who's father was grinding a stump and got into an old loggers steel cable.

It pulled him into the control with very, very serious injuries.

Evidently he was standing on or near the cable.

Stump grinders take no prisoners.

Been recommending that people look into a setup like this - not the same level of danger compared to a stump grinder, and obviously won’t be able to access certain areas, but highly effective and much safer, with potentially less maintenance?

I think there is a fundamental reason that system hasn't taken over the market. It looks good on video, but I'd prefer to see what that tool looks like after 10 years of use.

Stump grinders have replaceable teeth. That machine doesn't, and it comes with a mighty hefty initial investment, too.

Latest posts

Back