I am one stupid idiot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friday I fueled up my new Echo top handle. Started right up then slowed down, put, put..put...put...silence. Now what is wrong with it! I've been having problems with it since new (mostly my fault). Started to try to start it when I stopped and mentally pictured oil going neatly in the gas hole. Short story, ran long enough to suck oil into the fuel line so it is off to the dealer tomorrow to have him work on it (I dont' have the tools or eyesight to play with a saw). Then today I get out to the cutting site, fuel up saws cussing because both the gas can and oil jug are almost empty. Filled 441 and 193T went to start 193T and realized I had done it AGAIN! oil in gas hole. Dumped it, refueled fillign gas tank and face/palm. Not enough empty room in the tank to slosh it around. Followed by dumping the ENTIRE tank instead of just half. Put in half tank, sloshed around, dumped and Just did manage to sqeeze another tank full out of the can.

My head seems to fit right nice in that hole.

Harry, I always worried about doing the same thing so years ago I got in the habit of always filling the oil 1st this also gives you a heads up if the oiler stops working or gets plugged. Then I fill the gas. The other reason that I do it this way is so that if it turns out I only have a bit of oil in the jug then I won't fill it until I get more oil. If you fill the gas 1st and then find out you have no oil left well then you have a saw that will run but has no oil for the chain. I also keep oil jug on the left and gas jug on the right. I must have know you were going to do this, I took this picture in the bush on Saturday.
IMG_20171028_131126.jpg

PS, the white thing on the left is a salt block. Deer season opens soon and I have no time to hunt so I'll just keep my gun in the tractor and shoot the deer at the bench, lift him on to the bench, dress him out and get back to firewooding.
Gets them used to the human scent I hope.

PS, the white thing on the left is a salt block. Deer season opens soon and I have no time to hunt so I'll just keep my gun in the tractor and shoot the deer at the bench, lift him on to the bench, dress him out and get back to firewooding.
Gets them used to the human scent I hope.

Very sporting:rolleyes:

I use a small 4' x 8' nursery trailer for a bench/tool crib, and set up the way Cantoo does. Fuel on right, oil on left, due to similar mistake of putting oil in the fuel tank (I caught myself while pouring fortunately). Recreational fuel and diesel for the other equipment at the far end of the trailer, everything else in-between. Photo doesn't really show that. When I pull it, everything is pushed to the center to keep it from vibrating off between the shed and the wood lot as there is no suspension. I'm guessing I had just picked the log decks and cleaned underneath them when this was taken earlier this summer. The logs in the background are cut/split/covered/seasoning.IMG_4669.jpg

Not sealed gas cap 362c dumped fuel on new Carharts.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
My 361 started that. It is possible to put it on at an angle and 'feels' right but a quick check shows it. Might be from wear, that saw was bought in year 2 of production and has eaten a lot of wood over the years.

Not sealed gas cap 362c dumped fuel on new Carharts.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Thought I'd forgotten how to start 661 c last weekend, looked up manual online. Read the 2 or 3 bits on starting with no help.:dumb2: This weekend put fuel into rear tank oil in front & closed both fired right up.:clap::laughing:
Manual missed saying fuel 'er up or check fuel level. Or I missed reading it:dizzy: Manual seams to say more about winter heat off cylinder into air filter than sequence of pulls at full choke and so on because these "smart saws" are diferent than the carry a lil screw driver models IMHO.
Stay safe

I pulled a smooth stunt with my sawmill yesterday too. Haven't had time to play with it much and yesterday my wife finally said "use it or lose it" so I decided to cut up some cedar. Darn thing would start but wouldn't keep running. It was cold out and I was blaming that on it not staying running, needed choke and then would still die. Wouldn't even engage the clutch. Then ding ding the lights went on. I had only put a little bit of fuel in it when I 1st got the engine running. Yup, out of fuel. Then after a couple hours of playing around on cedar I decided to cut some steel. Run the blade into the steel log stops AKA blade stops. Few bucks down the tubes but another lesson learned. I also realized that I'm not that keen on running a sawmill. I thought I would like it but nah it's almost like working. I'm going to have to start cutting ash and selling abit to maybe get a little more keen. It was a beautiful day to be in the bush dropping trees so maybe that was my problem?

Latest posts

Back