I finally bought a skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a 1995 John Deere 540E skidder, in really good condition except for two bushings for the front blade which should be an easy fix I hope.
it has 3000 hrs on it the motor was redone two years ago, the tires and chains might need changeing in the next year or two but otherwise its in great condition. I tried to upload some pics but it won't let me, I'll try again later. This is the first piece of equipment I bought for my firewood business.

Last edited:
I just got home at 11:15PM, I had it delivered tonight I would've slept in the machine, I really didn't want to leave but I'll be doing some work on it in the morning changing oils and filters and adding a hour meter to it also to keep track of oil changes. I can't wait to make the first haul with it and when I do my son will be sitting beside me I'll take some pics of it and post em.

And I was thinking you ment a little bobcat type skid steer. Here are your pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

How did you get those pics to come up like that?? I tried and tried with no success.

When you use the "Insert Image" tool after you download your photos make sure that "http://" is not typed in twice at the first of the address where the photos were downloaded. Most of the time the address for the photos will be an arboristsite.com address but others use photobucket etc. The "Insert Image" tool is the one left of the "Wrap Quote tags" and right of the "Insert Email Link".

If you do a search on here you should find a better explanation than mine of how to do it.

If you see a square with a red X in it where a photo was meant to be and you are logged on, the chances are that the person that downloaded them had the "html://" typed in twice.

are you hiring a faller?

looks good, but i would get some engine compartment doors put on before i pulled any wood. doesnt take much of a stick to screw things up under the hood. and those tirechains will pull some suprisingly large wood up around the wheels.

:agree2:

I was thinking the same thing, very nice indeed I think I have skidder envy now, makes me wish I could justify one. The 540E's were a pretty trouble free machine, we didnt see to many in the shop while i was working for JD.

Bout the only thing I can think of right off is to check the axles just behing the wheels, there may be a grease fitting there. The newer machines didnt have it but I cant remember when the switched the skidders over to allow oil to flow to the outer bearing. If it has those they should only be greased every 500hrs and only like 6-8 pumps on the grease gun. The owners manual will list the exact interval and amount in the service section. The big thing is not to put so much grease in there as to force the seal out of the end and allow dirt in.

Great find and it looks to be in great shape for a used skidder... I can recall some that had all the paint beat off of them from the hood down, nothing lined up on those when you went to put it back together :confused:

Today we redone the tire chains, fixing the links that were ready to let go and we put some new ice picks on the back chains.
I fixed one small leak in the break lines but there's another I still have to find.
The engine covers were taken off and put in the truck before the pics were taken, they also need a little work done before I put them back on but I'll spend the time required to fix it right now rather than in the woods under 3 feet of snow. If everything goes right I'll have a little Ford loader and a Timber Devil double wood splitter delivered next week, I've been working on this business plan for the last three years and I can't believe its all coming together. Once I get everything that I ordered I'll be posting lots of pics of my new operation.

Would any of you guys have an idea why someone would remove the tire-protectors from a skidder?? we started to build new ones out of 1/2'' steal plate, I'll post the pics of the finished product when there done.
We also found some old hardened steal chain and made some ice picks out of it, they should last for a while.

That's a good little tractor Barnie and quite popular. I use a buddy of mines regularly and it's always done me well. Small acreage, felling with saw operations are where it excells. Good luck with her.

Back