I got a BR 800 C-E today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly, it takes about 5 minutes to do, ive had all my 4 mix stuff over a year atleast and never once needed a valve adjustment yet
depending on the machine its 1 or 2 pieces of plastic to take off, then one bolt for the valve cover, tighten up the gap at TDC to spec and bobs your uncle

if someone wants to complain about that they probably are too lazy to run the tool they are maintaining anyways
You realize valve adjustments are from wear, right? No other small engine with valves require them adjusted as frequently as the 4 mix engine, or have as severe running issues when they go out of adjustment. Valve ressession goes to crap, seats get pounded in. Don't have these issues on real 4 stroke o.p.e. engines.

4 mix is fantastic, dunno why everyone hates on them

Just pay attention to who says what and it all makes sense pretty quick.

I use these things everyday of my life and have none of these problems these guys talk about..and under not so friendly conditions..

"But my pappy said"...

"My 3rd cousins friend said"...

"Jim Dog told me so"...

It's junk..trust me..I only burn 5 gallons of mix a year..lol !

I use these things everyday of my life and have none of these problems these guys talk about..and under not so friendly conditions..

"But my pappy said"...

"Jim Dog told me so"...

I've ran hundreds of gallons of fuel through 4mix engines and never had an issue with any of them

They are great, haters gonna hate

I've ran hundreds of gallons of fuel through 4mix engines and never had an issue with any of them

They are great, haters gonna hate

Anything has it's quirks if you use it all the time, my crew has been using 800s since they came out, I'm sure a few of them are 4-5 years old now and look like they stormed Normandy..they still work..maybe one had the valves adjusted once..I can't remember.

These threads crack me up.

I've not been a member here long but am always surprised to read the bad experiences with the 4mix engines. I look at lawn service companies and townships around here. Stihl is the predominant trimmer used here in those settings by far. It is easy to distinguish a 4mix from a 2 cycle and there are lot of 4mixes be heard when within earshot.

I think it's hilarious how a thread that started with someone excited about their new jumbo blower so quickly devolved into a spat about fuel and 4-mix engines. Admittedly I would always choose a 2-stroke over a 4-mix but I've never had a problem with a 4-mix engine. Even an older Shindaiwa 4-mix ran great. One of my clients used nothing but motomix for years, did not maintain his saws well, but they always started and they're all still in service so I would be disinclined to say that motomix is garbage--maybe it's over-priced and nothing special but not garbage, In general it seems some people have endless problems with items that perform flawlessly for others whether we're talking saws, trimmers, or trucks.

But anyways, I'm sure that BR800 will be fun to use. I've been using the BR450, 2-stroker, for the last 5 years and it's been perfect other than the primer bulb has started to leak. And I've run nothing but pump gas with ethanol and HPUltra. Maybe a little MK-Ultra would work better, hmmm. . . . .

"But my pappy said"...

"Jim Dog told me so"...

My company has several, and we use them all the time. They do require more mechanical expertise to keep running than a 2-cycle. In my opinion, that is somewhat offset by how well they start, how well they run, and the fact that they also don't seem to get plugged mufflers and exhaust ports, as do the 2-cycle engines.

There's an offset for nearly every advantage, isn't there?

Philosophical argument: If we were to remove all the advantages of every new feature that comes along, we'd probably be swinging axes with stone heads tied on to split sticks with deer sinew.

No. But still. there is no need to buy a big machine for one yard.
Well a big blower sure enables you to save time, and then you could take on other customers who want leaf cleanup the timing is in your favor! Your move! I have one of the push behind blowers with a Honda, and it is awesome for cleanups.

My company has several, and we use them all the time. They do require more mechanical expertise to keep running than a 2-cycle. In my opinion, that is somewhat offset by how well they start, how well they run, and the fact that they also don't seem to get plugged mufflers and exhaust ports, as do the 2-cycle engines.

There's an offset for nearly every advantage, isn't there?

Philosophical argument: If we were to remove all the advantages of every new feature that comes along, we'd probably be swinging axes with stone heads tied on to split sticks with deer sinew.

Exactly. There's a tradeoff with everything, if something is "junk" it's not gonna be on the market very long and the rest is common sense, doesn't really matter what uncle dickrod thinks.

Back