I got a BR 800 C-E today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have no experience whatsoever with this product:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils-lubricants-fuels/premixed-fuel/motomix/
That being said, why is everyone so down on it?

If Stihl is doubling their warranty, I kinda doubt it is bad fuel, and they are just using their 2-cycle oil in it anyway. I am quite sure it is ridiculously expensive, but they also claim it has an extended shelf life of two years.

So educate me!
Well. It is super expensive, and I have found most canned fuels to be less efficient. I have used Aspen before and that one seems to be the most efficient and can allegedly be used indoors and can burn super clean. I am a gas station kind of guy though.

Yes, and many posts here.
I know. I have discontinued the use of such terms. For some content on YOUTUBE, It helps to draw more attention to my content if I include something that makes me different from the rest. Youtube is somewhat about growing to get a lot of followers and AS is for reaching out to a community of people to share experiences and receive wisdom from people who have been doing this for decades longer than me. Here followers do not matter as long as the advice is genuine. But for this, I must admit you are right.

Now I have no experience whatsoever with this product:
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils-lubricants-fuels/premixed-fuel/motomix/
That being said, why is everyone so down on it?

If Stihl is doubling their warranty, I kinda doubt it is bad fuel, and they are just using their 2-cycle oil in it anyway. I am quite sure it is ridiculously expensive, but they also claim it has an extended shelf life of two years.

So educate me!
It's too costly for what it is, especially if you're using it like the parks guys did at the township. Only used it to prove the issues we had wernt from the fuel. They are back to regular gas and mixing fuel again.

well, for 1 the soot issues with HP ultra
2: the gas itself is meh and has bad quality control, when I bought my 881 I bought a 4 gallon case of motomix to 1: double the warranty and 2: have easy to get fresh fuel in each truck which also has the benefit that nobody is using their mix in my saws
well, the dealer took my saw outside, filled it up with motomix and attempted to start as company policy says to do, after almost 15 minutes pulling over a 120CC saw they gave up and put VP in, fired on the first pull

ive ran VP 50:1 in every one of my saws since then, been over a year now and never had a single issue, my 200T sat for 6 months or so and fired on the 3rd pull with it

You are kinda sparse with your digital ink there, bud. I have no idea what VP is, nor HP ultra. I don't hang out at the dealerships, and I wouldn't consider buying anything premixed at roughly 8 times my expense.

I don't know if those are supposed to be pre-mix fuels (as it motomix), just 2-cycle oil, or something else like a generic name.

By the way: for you guys that are serious about getting good gas, just get a cheap 55 gallon barrel and put a hand pump on it. Fill with alcohol free premium gas, and go from there. Myself, I don't bother worrying about the alcohol, and all my equipment runs just fine. It doesn't sit around long enough to get stale, either.

Before you implement this plan, make sure you have some way to get the barrel out of your truck! Barrels of fuel are too heavy and expensive to unload by hand. Get two cheap barrels, and pump the one in your truck into the one in your garage. Problem solved!

I have no idea what VP is, nor HP ultra. I don't hang out at the dealerships, and I wouldn't consider buying anything premixed at roughly 8 times my expense.
VP makes Racing and high end fuels, I run their 50:1 premix gas
HP Ultra is the gray bottle stihl mix oil, same oil used in Motomix gas
cant do the barrel thing without some sort of tray for them to sit in should there be a leak, I cant have 55 gallons of gas dump on the ground (surprising, right?)

my local shop carries Stihl gas (motomix) VP premix and husky premix, I believe only stihl mix oils on the shelf which I wont run

who you calling huffy? all I did was give you the name and tell you to look it up because im not going to babysit your curiosity

I was (and am) calling you huffy. And you are continuing the trend.

Let me spell this out nice and slow for you:
  1. You referred to a product with nothing more than two letters, as though the whole of the internet would understand.
  2. You never clarified whether you were even talking about a specialty fuel, an oil mix, or otherwise. At the time, we were discussing Stihl's pre-mix specialty fuel.
  3. When asked for a name, you gave the same two letters that you had been using all along.
  4. When asked again, you got a bit huffy with your answer. While I might or might not have interpreted your intentions correctly, your 2nd response is distinctly huffy, and a bit insulting.
  5. I never asked you to look it up for me.
It's pretty poor form for you to claim that you are babysitting me, especially since I did so much babysitting for you over in the commercial forum on a regular basis. Yeah, I know. You can take care of yourself. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can say whatever you wish, whenever you choose.

Now be nice, this isn't the forum where you get to be indiscriminately rude.

That's pretty cool,

Do you have to adjust the Valves after so many hours?

Mad3400

The four cycle engines all seem to require valve adjustments. The gap seems to open too much, which delays the valve timing. Then the engine will start locking up on the compression stroke and yank the starter rope out of your hand, usually quite painfully.

Sometimes you just can't get 'em to start and run right, too. Adjust the valves, then you got no problems.

The four cycle engines all seem to require valve adjustments. The gap seems to open too much, which delays the valve timing. Then the engine will start locking up on the compression stroke and yank the starter rope out of your hand, usually quite painfully.

Sometimes you just can't get 'em to start and run right, too. Adjust the valves, then you got no problems.
exactly, it takes about 5 minutes to do, ive had all my 4 mix stuff over a year atleast and never once needed a valve adjustment yet
depending on the machine its 1 or 2 pieces of plastic to take off, then one bolt for the valve cover, tighten up the gap at TDC to spec and bobs your uncle

if someone wants to complain about that they probably are too lazy to run the tool they are maintaining anyways

Reason why I chose the Echo PB-9010H, also Higher CFMs.

Mad3400

Back