I got myself a Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new model PS-421 are just coming out in the US. I will have some this week to see how they run. They have increased the power rating from 2.0kW to 2.2kW with a new cylinder.

It looks like the weight is increased as well - is that just the cat muffler? :confused:

It just is fact, not crap - to put things into perspective. :msp_wink:
I wasn't referring to the facts. I was referring to your constant intrusion in to threads to do nothing but go on and on and on about how the Husqvarna is better, blah blah, however irrelevant it is to the topic. #### if you have nothing constructive to say.

I wasn't referring to the facts. I was referring to your constant intrusion in to threads to do nothing but go on and on and on about how the Husqvarna is better, blah blah, however irrelevant it is to the topic. #### if you have nothing constructive to say.

Our friend Niko is what he is, and says what he says, but at the end of the day he is OUR sawtroll and we love him.
He was here when the cornerstones were laid for this site and is a library of knowledge and seldom wrong.
Calm down and learn to live with it.

Mike

Our friend Niko is what he is, and says what he says, but at the end of the day he is OUR sawtroll...

Mike

True enough! Some days I could just choke him for his opinions but in the end, they are his and just like belly buttons, we all have them.

Kind of makes the site all the more interesting. As Niko himself has said, it wouldn't be as much fun if we all shared the same view. :cheers:

Congrats on your saw...Its a cute little saw, I like your bar setup too. Will probably do likewise when mine gets here.

I have a ps-420 comming in the mail. It was mentioned that the only difference between the 420 and 421 is the cylinder. Would it be benefficial to order a 421 jug, send it off to get ported and then swap them out?....Just thinking outloud....maybe get some more Vroooom vrooom out of it. What do you guys think.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just thought i'd ask here as seems like most respondents have experience with this saw. Tom

It was mentioned that the only difference between the 420 and 421 is the cylinder. Would it be benefficial to order a 421 jug, send it off to get ported and then swap them out?....Just thinking outloud....maybe get some more Vroooom vrooom out of it. What do you guys think.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just thought i'd ask here as seems like most respondents have experience with this saw. Tom

The difference between the 420 and 421 is 0.2kW or about 0.268hp. Certainly it could be modded to get more "get up and go" out of it but then between the new piston and mod job you're now into about as much as just buying the 5105. Its all too easy to get caught up in this game.

IMHO give your 420 a chance just the way it is. If after a few tanks you find it lacking "something", then would be the time to think about what you wish to do. Good luck.

:cheers:

I have the exact same set up. I like it a lot! I paid $175 for mine new.

I also cut out the fish gills from the muffler with a dremel tool.

I can tell you that it is way stronger and better performing than the Stihl 024 wood boss that it replaced.

gg

Congrats on your saw...Its a cute little saw, I like your bar setup too. Will probably do likewise when mine gets here.

I have a ps-420 comming in the mail. It was mentioned that the only difference between the 420 and 421 is the cylinder. Would it be benefficial to order a 421 jug, send it off to get ported and then swap them out?....Just thinking outloud....maybe get some more Vroooom vrooom out of it. What do you guys think.

If the saw you have on the way is a properly running and functioning saw there is absolutely NO reason to do any kind of cylinder swap.
You would only gain about 1/4 hp. and the 420 could be modded to cover that and a bunch more very easily.
I don't know where this saw is going to go in your lineup, or how you intend to use it but, if it is going to be a saw you use a lot, consider having it ported.
I was astounded by the one Brad Snelling did.

Mike

Congrats on the new saw. The small physical size of the 40cc saws is what makes them so handy. I would like to check one out but I do not have a dealer anywhere close (the truth is I never heard of them until I joined this site.)

Have you tried the dealer locator on Dolmars web site? I don't know where you are located but I found 5 Dolmar dealers within 50 miles of where I am. The closest one is about 12 miles away and is a good dealer too.

For the OP:

What was the P/N on the non-cat muffler? Have looked around on a couple different dolmar parts sites, and they show the thing, but don't give a P/N or price for it - only the cat muffler.

Wifey picked one up at the dealer on Valentine's day, and thought it was "cute", so it is at home (her Valentine's present) :heart:

Am going to do the .325 conversion too - what was the P/N for the drum? What bar did you get? I would like to get a nice short bar for her to use limbing, like 12-13", and run the 20LP chain.

For the OP:

What was the P/N on the non-cat muffler? Have looked around on a couple different dolmar parts sites, and they show the thing, but don't give a P/N or price for it - only the cat muffler.

Wifey picked one up at the dealer on Valentine's day, and thought it was "cute", so it is at home (her Valentine's present) :heart:

Am going to do the .325 conversion too - what was the P/N for the drum? What bar did you get? I would like to get a nice short bar for her to use limbing, like 12-13", and run the 20LP chain.

Muffler 195 174 500
Sprocket 181 223 062 (you will need a .325-7 small spline rim also)

The bar is an Oregon 15" 158SLBK041. They do make a 13" 138SLBK041.

Hey moparman....This will be THE main saw, mostly fire wood, probably oak not bigger than 12-14 inches. If I run into something realy big I'll leave it or rent a saw at homedepo for a day. The saw will be new, unopened, in the box. I will run it for a while to see what I think. The extra cylinder idea was just an idea, cheaper than shipping a whole power head, and I would still have the saw to use while the spare is being ported.

russhd...I had the same problem wanting to touch one to see what it was like. I did a dealer search and had 6 within 60 mile. I called all and not one had a ps-420 or 421. Most carried other saws as well but no dolmars in stock...but they would order them at list price + shipping + taxes. Found one through one of the members here and got it for a price shipped to my door and still saved $45. So I took a leap of faith. Most everyone here that has one liked it, plus I love the ORANGE color. (It's not CAD, really, I need this saw.)

Hey moparman....This will be THE main saw, mostly fire wood, probably oak not bigger than 12-14 inches. If I run into something realy big I'll leave it or rent a saw at homedepo for a day. The saw will be new, unopened, in the box. I will run it for a while to see what I think. The extra cylinder idea was just an idea, cheaper than shipping a whole power head, and I would still have the saw to use while the spare is being ported.

russhd...I had the same problem wanting to touch one to see what it was like. I did a dealer search and had 6 within 60 mile. I called all and not one had a ps-420 or 421. Most carried other saws as well but no dolmars in stock...but they would order them at list price + shipping + taxes. Found one through one of the members here and got it for a price shipped to my door and still saved $45. So I took a leap of faith. Most everyone here that has one liked it, plus I love the ORANGE color. (It's not CAD, really, I need this saw.)

One of the members here? Sorry to say but the box was opened by me to see how it felt, and it was good. The way it looked they never mounted the bar and it was just sitting in the box when I got there. Run it how it is and wait for I THINK I NEED A BIGGER SAW to kick in. I am doing good I am down to 4 from 10ish and will be running a 50cc and a 80cc Dolmar combo soon.

Thanks ancy....My saw was "checked out" by a fellow ASer before shipping. I'm sure you were gentle...LOL...Don't you love the orange?
I'm color blind and I thought it was more red, but I like orange too!

Have you tried the dealer locator on Dolmars web site? I don't know where you are located but I found 5 Dolmar dealers within 50 miles of where I am. The closest one is about 12 miles away and is a good dealer too.

7.82 miles away, I'll check them out, but I Still think the ms241cm is a better saw.

Latest posts

Back