I have a confession...Time for a reaming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching craiglist for the next free listing for pallets (of course I have some but they're running out) cuz they are $12 at lowe's.

How about that, eh? Seeing the post from the guy who got pallets at HD made me think of the time I was checking out at HD and saw a pallet lying there that looked like it had just been emptied of cinder blocks. I asked what they did with the pallets, thinking "kindling." Checkout lady said they sold them. No kidding? I said. How much? 20 bucks, she said. OK, good luck with that. Lots of places have them free. I once paid $5 for a pallet at a local pallet place because I wanted a specific size for a machine, but otherwise it's doing the business that needs them gone a favor. Actually, a pallet place might be a good place to look for offcuts.

I once paid $5 for a pallet at a local pallet place because I wanted a specific size for a machine, but otherwise it's doing the business that needs them gone a favor. Actually, a pallet place might be a good place to look for offcuts.

Lots of the bigger stores use a pallet service. Look for the pallets painted with blue paint all over, they say "property of..." It's not the store chain that owns them. And equipment like small tractors, snowblowers, &etc are often on pallets with core deposits. Once the equipment is unbolted and unstrapped the pallet is returned. Even some of the engines we buy at work are on a pallet with a $50 core charge.

Also, watch for pallets from Asia. They're beginning to treat the wood with pesticides and other chemicals that you might not want to burn.

Next time, go to the Home Depot in another town...buy 47 more bundles, load them in your truck, drive to the back, park near the dumpster, unwrap the bundles, sprinkle dirt around your chainsaw, face, and shirt. put chainsaw on top of pile, drive home with your head up high...I won't tell...and thank you for buying my bundles!

Furnace broke down and gave me the initiative to go find those pallets!

Country folk can survive (off of pallets)

You could have bought some of those Dura Flame logs. Just light the paper they are wrapped in and watch 'em go. Of course the lack of manliness is still part of the equation so to add a little testosterone take them out in the back yard and split them with your maul. :cheers:

If you were closer I would drop a load of Honey Fire wood for you. That ambiance will cost you every time.

At least you got it off your chest. Now go scrounge.

Back