I have a very good friend.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
She has not much money. Needs a new liner in her masonry flue. How tough of a job can it be to buy a kit, drop it down attach the tee and hook up the woodfurnace?
Is it a job that takes a special training course? Or can any fairly handy guy do it?
If you think I can do it.. where is the most reasonable place to buy the kit? Do any of the Homedepot/Menards/Lowes sell them?

there's a thread here from a guy who has done it already...including adding any insulation. search for it and he seemed to make it appear to be an easy job.

Depending on how tall the chimney is, I found it easier to pull the liner up through the chimney, pull it up far enough to slip the stove back in then lower the pipe back onto the stove. I could have never managed a 25' flex pipe, 25'+ up on a ladder.

This should be easy.

The masonry flue is in the middle of the house.. only protrudes out of a 4/12 pitch roof about 3 feet. But I am not positive what is at the bottom. whether I need a tee? or come out the bottom. I would imagine a tee.

I have heard the kits on ebay are very good. I don't think its that hard to do an install of a liner. Basically straighten it out, drop it down the chimney, make your connections, install the topplate and cap. Thats it. You can go on you tube and I think there are some videos showing installation on there. I wouldn't be worried about installing one. Good luck!

yep, got my kit from ebay.

it was cheaper than anywhere else I looked, there used to be a few different suppliers there too.

all kits I saw had caps, and tees, and pretty much every thing you need to install.

it wasnt HARD to install, you need another person to help ideally, I went down from the top.

roof access to my masonry chimny was easy enough.

that stuff is TOUGH to drill into thoough, that was my toughest part.

Last edited:
On a roof like that, it should be a pretty easy job. I did my fathers, which sounds very similar, in about two hours. The only thing I'd recommend is checking to make sure you have a fairly straight shot and there are no hidden surprises, such as jogs that the liner won't be able to make it around. I had to take a sawzall to my fathers damper and ovalize the last couple of feet of liner at the bottom (it straightened right out once past the damper).

Latest posts

Back