I have accesse to a huge a mount of walnut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's BW make sure you save the trunks! I have 4 I'm waiting to chop down and then gonna have it milled to make hardwood in our new home. BW goes for high dollar in our area. Loggers get big ole stiffy's when they see it.

Had a BW in the backyard that was dropping branches on the shed and house, c/s/s it. Tried burning a few pieces after about 9 months, not impressed. Left it to dry another year and it was fine. Other than excess ash it's fine when seasoned long enough.

Walnut burns so "badly" that only the most persnickety customers that I have request it. These are the same customers who want only oak, ash, hickory, locust, and hard maple and measure the length of each split log that I deliver. They also want to know what month that it was that I split the log.

if the walnut has any size, the butt should have enough to get some short blanks out of - might contain ripple or curl too so more valuable (but potentially has metal). the rootstock also can be harvested on BW for the crazy grain it can have. i also use good sized limbs for carving natural shelves etc - so you have options to make some money. i can also vouch that the wood burns ok if dry enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, but now refuse to burn black walnut..even when its dried right,,it creates wayyyyy tooooo much ash..........and buckshot. does he wait, till its down to coals???

I have, but now refuse to burn black walnut..even when its dried right,,it creates wayyyyy tooooo much ash..........and buckshot. does he wait, till its down to coals???
Sounds like you are not drying your black walnut enough. Olyman, did you make this complaint post or did someone else? I'm a bit lost over who said what. Meanwhile, I will continue to split and dry walnut for customers who continue to demand it for their fireplaces.

Sounds like you are not drying your black walnut enough. Olyman, did you make this complaint post or did someone else? I'm a bit lost over who said what. Meanwhile, I will continue to split and dry walnut for customers who continue to demand it for their fireplaces.
will I get bunned for this "complaint"???????????? :(

Latest posts

Back