I Know Almost NOTHING About Light Weight Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a light weight bar... I know nothing about the different brands...

I want a 20" small bar mount for Husky... MAYBE if available, a 16" too?

How much lighter will it be over steel? And will it last as long as a steel bar??

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on these...

SR

I don't know that a bar that small would really be noticeable. Doesn't hurt to check but I wouldn't pay more if you're only gonna save a few ounces.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

At 20" a sugi/tsumura lightweight gives almost all the stiffness of a rsn bar at the weight of a laminated bar.
At 16" I don't notice the extra stiffness and buy laminated bars. The husky branded bars have been upgraded, but I'm yet to try the 16" x force bar, and won't buy another small mount husky 16" bar until I can find the x force one available. I've recently bought an 18" 3/8 x force and the weight looks good, just need to finish some work on my 550 before I run it.

I was told by the Sugi rep that Lght Weight bars is a misnomer they are Reduced Weight he also said that there was basically no gain until reaching 24" as the gains in weight etc' was cancelled by the extra cost as an exercise I milled 3 holes in an 18" bar 2, 11/4" round & 1 1,1/4 elongated to 3" in the centre I fashioned bungs from plastic used for making bushes gluing in the holes & facing down, in use I couldn't really tell any difference so placed that exercise in the "Ah Well" department I notice a difference on bars longer than 28" though, saw balance is much improved.

Hey Rob,

In husky small mount i think your best quality options are the sugihara and tsumara bars. The Sugi bars are the heaviest of the RW bars. Tsumara is lighter. You may find that finding the gauge, pitch, and DL count in one brand or the other might be a challenge. They both have good bling factor. @old guy has a 16" sugi on his 550xp. It certainly looks sharp. Perhaps he can tell us if he notices any weight difference. I don't think they're gonna be lighter than a laminated bar, and quite a bit pricier, but sometimes that's alright. For the 20", if it's going on a 60cc saw and replacing a regular RSN bar, I think you will notice a difference. Personally I'd check out the tsumara.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-data-picture-thread.265892/

Here's a nice informative thread for you with some weight data. Tsumara seems to be your best bang for your buck. They have good solid steel rails hold up well. The Stihl es lite's are pricey, but show the best weight savings with the same durability of their regular es bars. You're in the midwest, so if I were you I would contact Nate @fordf150 with Performance Outdoor Equipment or check out their web page. He is a great guy to deal with. Keeps up on stock as best he can and ships quick. Plus you get free shipping over a certain amount, so extra incentive to get extra goodies.

I ordered an upgrade bar for a HT101 with .050 3/8 Picco 12" long. I was sent a Rollomatic E Light bar. I have never found one online or anywhere since but I guess Stihl does make one in that configuration.

On the pole saw it made a noticeable difference even at only 12".

I ordered an upgrade bar for a HT101 with .050 3/8 Picco 12" long. I was sent a Rollomatic E Light bar. I have never found one online or anywhere since but I guess Stihl does make one in that configuration.

On the pole saw it made a noticeable difference even at only 12".
I think they are made in 10" and 14" also.
And those are the "mini-light"

And there is a 16" E light 38% lighter

i've bought a bunch of light bars now and was disappointed with the value on anything smaller. maybe stihl can make something impressive in shorter lengths but tsumura and sugi just aren't shedding enough weight to make much of a difference. there is the bling factor but those light bars don't stay nice at all if you actually cut wood with them. for my amount of use; 3-4 days and the tip has pretty well lost it's paint, 2-3 weeks and most of the clear coat peels off the tsumura's, the black on cannons lasts more then twice as long and the white on stihl bars even longer yet. there's also use to consider, many people have the habit of resting the weight of their arms or even leaning their weight into their saw during cuts. if you recognize this in your cutting, a light bar is probably not the best for you. not much of a concern if all you do is vertical cuts.

Latest posts

Back