I know of at least 10 people.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
......that own at least one chainsaw. Some have more, and some use their saws to make a living.

I've talked to all of them within the last 2 or maybe 3 years. Not one of them have a saw that has a modded muffler or had any cylinder porting done to them.

Having said that, is this typical.......or is it more of a chainsaw forum issue, in regards to the MM and porting?

BTW.....my father spent many years in the timber / logging industry, as well as the vast majority of my relatives. As far as I know, none had any use for a modified or race saw.

The vast majority of saws are stock. This site just has a bunch of crazed speed and power junkies.

Had the saw owners run a modified saw they would have wanted one. I know numerous guys who traditionally have run stock saws. As soon as they see my saws cut, or run one of my saws, The first question has been "What has been done to that saw?". Followed by "How do I get one?".

A 70 year old logger I know traditionally used stock stihl 460's only for their "stumping" power as he put it. After running a modified 372 he shelved the 460's and bought another modified 372. His response was why lug the extra weight and harder starting saw around when this 372 will do the same thing. At his age starting the 460 was becoming an issue. Previous to my saws he had never heard of muffler modifying or porting. From my north eastern US view it seems modifying saws was more a west coast thing in the Untied States until the last decade or so. The internet seems to have advertised the advantages throughout the world.

Had the saw owners run a modified saw they would have wanted one. I know numerous guys who traditionally have run stock saws. As soon as they see my saws cut, or run one of my saws, The first question has been "What has been done to that saw?". Followed by "How do I get one?".

A 70 year old logger I know traditionally used stock stihl 460's only for their "stumping" power as he put it. After running a modified 372 he shelved the 460's and bought another modified 372. His response was why lug the extra weight and harder starting saw around when this 372 will do the same thing. At his age starting the 460 was becoming an issue. Previous to my saws he had never heard of muffler modifying or porting. From my north eastern US view it seems modifying saws was more a west coast thing in the Untied States until the last decade or so. The internet seems to have advertised the advantages throughout the world.

Interesting! Do Stihl dealers in general, even mention modifying a saw, or is it something they refuse to address? Will they sell a saw to a customer, and then say bring it back after the warranty runs out, and we'll really make it rip.

I've yet to have a dealer want to talk about the subject.

if your saw collections include saws over 90cc's mods really arent needed.

and some people making a living off them may be using a company saw and cant mod them.

and beleive it or not some people have not heard of the simple muffler mods, I didnt till i was browsing some info on my ms 290 i"m sure glad i came across it though.

Also i think it becomes kind of a hobby to repair and mod saws. mod a muffler and you will catch the bug!!

Depends on the dealer. In reality I suspect very few dealers have the desire to modify saws. At the dealers level there is easier money to be made than modifying saws and taking on some of the headaches associated with performing saw modifications.

if your saw collections include saws over 90cc's mods really arent needed.

and some people making a living off them may be using a company saw and cant mod them.

and beleive it or not some people have not heard of the simple muffler mods, I didnt till i was browsing some info on my ms 290 i"m sure glad i came across it though.

Also i think it becomes kind of a hobby to repair and mod saws. mod a muffler and you will catch the bug!!

Big inch saws need love too. The quest for power is not a new thing, Kart powered McCullochs were used in the 1960s.

99% of the population buy them,put gas in them,and run them-just lawn and garden equipment after all.
How many people do you know that buy a new lawnmower then open up the muffler,port it,try different blade configurations to get better,bigger or more grass clippings,rave about how great their new mower is while saying all other brands are a piece of crap or buy an industrial sized golf course type mower for their postage stamp sized lawn?
Likely,they're out there somewhere-and they're here also.:msp_smile:

Big inch saws need love too. The quest for power is not a new thing, Kart powered McCullochs were used in the 1960s.

My dad talked about leading crankcases from the late fiftys whan he owned the saw shop in Lansing Mi.

I am a stong believer that the epa has over stepped the principles for which they were created back in the seventies. .......
with that being said,can you imagine what would happen to a
business that UNdid by modifying,what the epa has mandated???
Can you then imagine ,what would happen to the business's insurance policies for makeing "overpowered saws"??????

Depends on the dealer. In reality I suspect very few dealers have the desire to modify saws. At the dealers level there is easier money to be made than modifying saws and taking on some of the headaches associated with performing saw modifications.

Modding a saw for most dealers is a good way for them to lose there agreement with the parent company, not a good idea to push the evelope and bite the hand off that feeds you.

I had a modified 797 that I used as a bucking saw, it was close to being impractical. It could turn an oil wet chain blue, it had excessive fuel consumption and would suddenly turn evil and would try to whip my ass getting it started. Oh boy could it saw wood.

I know dozens of people that have ridden street bikes. Only a handful have ever roadraced. Some people need more.

I found this place looking for a fix to my chainsaw. I fixed it. Never in a million years would I have thought to rebuild a chainsaw or amp it up. Now I just can't think the same way I used to. I'm not saying I am good at repair or mods but we all start somewhere. I could care less for working on automobiles but chainsaws just get to me. I imagine once the warranty on my one day old saw is up I will begin the tweaking!

Yep things got stuffed differently back in the day, was your dad a British bike guy?

Just last night I was at my dealers and we were talking about a number of things that lead to the discussion about his dad modifying saws for his mom who used to race saws a number of years ago. So i asked - "Do you still do performance modifications here?" His answer was "my dad would do them." So I asked "what does he do to them?" His reply was "It depends on what saw you want to have work done to?" I said, I've got an 026, Husky 359 and 372 - which he stated his dad could really get gains out of the 372 with piston work and stuffing the motor.

I'm saving $ now.

I would really like to have a kart McC to take to work once in a while. Probably get made fun of for having an old saw. I'm sure that would change after the saw fires up. Those things turned some serious rpm! Randy, I would like to hear more about what was done to your 797.

most people i know own 029's. i was the first kid on the block with a dolmar,and the first to mm. years have pasted and i own the only 2 dolmars on the block. and only i person i know has a mm 029.( i did it when i put a new piston in it for him).

that being said,i think alot of people mod their saws in one form or another,but never had the need to tell anybody. this site happen to bring together alot of those people so it seems like "everybody" does it.

Latest posts

Back