I Love my Wood Pile??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite

Looking at the pile gives me a great feeling of accomplisment. It's good exercise and I really look forward to the aroma of a good hardwood fire.

I'm working on a pile now - white and red oak, ash and cherry. My favorite for aroma when splitting is white oak. Since they age bourbon in it, the fragrance reminds me of the glass I'll be sipping after I'm done splitting for the day - and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Whew. This is a dirty secret: we LOVE our wood piles. We lurk around them at any hour, thumping, viewing behind walls, touching, you name it, we do it.
This could be subject to prosecution, or at least psychiatric help:confused: .
Gee, I'll even stand back while stacking to sneak a peak at the newly formed pile in the woodshed. HELP :dizzy: :dizzy: !!
Damn--drive in, park, look, and look some more.
Just wait 'til you don't use ANY heating fuel, joining the oh so self-righteous among us who heat with all wood 24/7: then it gets real serious. The butts are now in a pile waiting for stacking into those lovely lovely orderly stacks. :jawdrop:
Now we can break into song:
"....I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK......" :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Ah yes, those quiet moments in the evening by the pile, pick up a chunk, sniff, feel. Check the saw out, fondle the ...saw, yah! that's it the saw.

They ain't nuttin wrong with me officer.

Harry K

An Inconvenient Truth

Admit it you fools, it's...it's...it's

WOOD PILE ADDICTION

a.k.a. "The Piles" :taped: to those of us with very advanced degrees:censored: .

No 12 Step for it. Just continue to split, pile, stack, lurk,........

Nice looking pile, Mr. Firewood
Guys, I love my firewood pile. I have essentially made something out of nothing. Can't wait to start burning it this winter. I have oak - red and white, hard and soft maple, cherry, black walnut, lots of ash and etc.

I too often catch myself caught in a trance looking, touching and smelling the woodpile. Picking up that piece that just isn't straight or straightening up the stack thats leaning.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I too often catch myself caught in a trance looking, touching and smelling the woodpile. Picking up that piece that just isn't straight or straightening up the stack thats leaning.

OOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOO :censored:
Help Us.........Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzze. We are damned.
Yes , it is an illness.

Here is my woodpile...

At that point maybe 2 cords, but I have since expanded it 3-4 cords split, and probably 2 or more cords waiting to be split.

I love the smell of red oak. Most of my wood is red oak and white ash.

OOOOOO AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOO :censored:
Help Us.........Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzze. We are damned.
Yes , it is an illness.

You all know that a good stick of hardwood has a wonderful "clink" to it when thrown on the pile. I once saw a video of a guy playing his woodpile like a xylophone. By cutting different lengths he was able to tune it. Has anyone else seen this? Can't remember the name of the tune but it could have been "In the Stihl of The Night".

Here is my woodpile...

At that point maybe 2 cords, but I have since expanded it 3-4 cords split, and probably 2 or more cords waiting to be split.

I love the smell of red oak. Most of my wood is red oak and white ash.

Nice pile Wismer! Are you using a mall or hydraulic splitter? I don't cut enough to justify the hydraulic splitter any more, just enough to heat the workshop and have a few campfires. There's nothing like driving an 8lb. mall through a log to relieve stress. Good way to lose weight too!

Mine...

Views around my barn, I need to get some more pallets and stack that pile. I'm kinda proud of my firewood too, all hand split with 8lb maul, no hydraulics. Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Black Locust and little Ash.

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

i dont care if its 90 degrees out side if i split wood i want to start burning it ...now

Why

Why is it that you people (a.k.a. Y.P.) :cry: living in warmer climes like KY. have the bestest wood : oak, hickory,..... ? It is not fair.:deadhorse:
Besides, you Pile people are sick.:hmm3grin2orange:

Why is it that you people (a.k.a. Y.P.) :cry: living in warmer climes like KY. have the bestest wood : oak, hickory,..... ? It is not fair.:deadhorse:
Besides, you Pile people are sick.:hmm3grin2orange:

All kinds of oak up here. I just got over 4 cords of red oak for free. oh crap, i do have to split it though. I'm gonna need more beer.:givebeer:

Nice pile Wismer! Are you using a mall or hydraulic splitter? I don't cut enough to justify the hydraulic splitter any more, just enough to heat the workshop and have a few campfires. There's nothing like driving an 8lb. mall through a log to relieve stress. Good way to lose weight too!

Thanks buzz, Nope, that pile is 90% hand split with wedges and a 6lb maul. I had a splitter for a day from a job i did, the client rented a splitter for me to split up the tree I took down. I like using the maul especially on the oak and ash.. real nice splitting. We are putting on addition with two fireplaces, and a wood burning furnace to heat the house, so I've been getting a headstart on that.

Thanks buzz, Nope, that pile is 90% hand split with wedges and a 6lb maul. I had a splitter for a day from a job i did, the client rented a splitter for me to split up the tree I took down. I like using the maul especially on the oak and ash.. real nice splitting. We are putting on addition with two fireplaces, and a wood burning furnace to heat the house, so I've been getting a headstart on that.

Wonder how many carbon credits you get for splitting with a maul?

Gents great looking stacks of wood!! $0 dollars spent in the last two winters for fuel oil...do I love my OWB!!!!
I need one of those wife's that will stack the wood for me...I'm just too darn lazy after I've cut/split/and gathered it to stack it.

Latest posts

Back