I made a mistake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yeah I did. When I bought the new easy start Stihl, I made a big big mistake. I bit on a sales pitch and now I'm paying the price.

When the starter rope is pulled, it's supposed to wind the spring strong enough to turn the engine over. One pull gets you a little burp. It's a convoluted process starting it. You have to have one hand on the trigger, pull the rope with the other, but the third hand to hold it down, I don't have. I've pulled that thing so many time trying to get it to fire, I've gotten dizzy headed. On a hot day it worse. Once it's running, I love it, but starting it has gotten to be to much of a problem.

All I saying here is, cutting the wood I have with is super, but getting it to the point of cutting that wood is just about enough to dislike the saw. So don't be sold on the easy start like I was. It just don't work. All I know to do at this point is the have it all removed. My 034 I know what to expect, this one, no way. Well I do now, but I don't like it.

Yeah I did. When I bought the new easy start Stihl, I made a big big mistake. I bit on a sales pitch and now I'm paying the price.

When the starter rope is pulled, it's supposed to wind the spring strong enough to turn the engine over. One pull gets you a little burp. It's a convoluted process starting it. You have to have one hand on the trigger, pull the rope with the other, but the third hand to hold it down, I don't have. I've pulled that thing so many time trying to get it to fire, I've gotten dizzy headed. On a hot day it worse. Once it's running, I love it, but starting it has gotten to be to much of a problem.

All I saying here is, cutting the wood I have with is super, but getting it to the point of cutting that wood is just about enough to dislike the saw. So don't be sold on the easy start like I was. It just don't work. All I know to do at this point is the have it all removed. My 034 I know what to expect, this one, no way. Well I do now, but I don't like it.

Does it not have a high idle step in the throttle? Every Stihl I've had does. It's always the next click up from choke, and pulling the trigger automatically disengages it.

There is an FS60 with the easy start at work. It works good on the weedwhacker but I could see it being bothersome on a chainsaw.

Try putting it on the ground, put your foot or toes through the handle to hold it and pull away. That's how I start my saws. They do get scarred up a bit when I have my calks on, but I don't mind.

Yes, I second that. You shouldn't have, or need to have, a finger on the trigger to start it. It should start like all modern Stihls do; fully engage the throttle trigger and hold it while pushing the switch shaft (choke or stop/run selector) all the way down, which puts it into full choke. Pull the cord until you get a 'pop'. Move the selector up one notch to half-choke. Pull the cord until the saw fires & starts running. 'Blip' the throttle trigger which automatically moves the selector to 'run' and drops the throttle down to a resting idle position.

One hand on the wrap handle and one hand to pull the starter cord. Add a foot if you prefer a ground start over a drop start.

For the record, I can't stand the easy start system either - very unnatural, awkward, and unnecessary. Never the less, it still only requires two hands for an quick & efficient start on a properly functioning saw. Also, be careful not to pull the cord hard & fast like a normal saw or you'll ruin the easy start, they're supposed to be pulled more easily & slowly . . . hence the 'easy' part of the tag name.

Good luck!

P.S. If you decide to change it over to a regular start PM me - I believe I have the parts necessary to do that.

Try putting it on the ground, put your foot or toes through the handle to hold it and pull away. That's how I start my saws. They do get scarred up a bit when I have my calks on, but I don't mind.

I do that, but for some reason my boot just don't work on it like it does with my 034. Just not enough room. I can't get my finger past my boot and the trigger guard.

It's so frustrating. And I'm getting to old to fight it.

Don't need to have a hand on the trigger.

But you are right, I don't like that easy start system. It is on saws small enough not the need it anyway...

Stihl always sells good, if ya want to upgrade to a better saw. :msp_wink:

Bah! If all saws start easy, there will be less colorful language used in the woods. Have you cussed the saw out properly? Kicked it? (definitely wear steel toes for doing that and don't ask me how I know). Flung it off a cliff? Run over it with a cat, log truck, crummy, loader, etc.? All of those may not help it start, but they are subjects for conversation.

I have the easy start on mine and I love it.
I always start with a cold engine choke setting when I first start it.

I have it set on full choke and it starts/coughs once and then I reset it back
to the open choke setting with the throttle set at high and it always starts

I then let it run for thirty seconds or less and then push the throttle to unlock
it and it idles very well rvrn when cold.

Sometimes the linkage will get a bit dirty and this is a small problem that is
easily fixed with cleaning the dust out.

I think you have a a dirt and dust problem with it.

I do not think you have to have the trigger pulled. Recheck your owners manual again on starting. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think any new saw requires that.

Maybe this video will help??? If not try putting the Stihl next to a Husqvarna as they always run, and maybe those black and white skunks will learn by example!
[video=youtube;6feP3aEEg_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feP3aEEg_8[/video]

Besides pulling the starting string out of my little MS250 EZstart the first time I tried starting it - i've never had an issue getting it running from any point going forward. I'd bring your saw back where you got it and see if it is just a bum saw and getting it straightened out on their charge. Mine always starts and never have to touch the throttle to get it going.

Ok I will wait....Now remember no hand on the throttle, slowly pull the rope. Ok was that long enough did it work?

Yep, it did. But someone said I didn't set the throttle. On mine, when you set the choke, the trigger has to be pulled.

I pulled two times on complete choke, 4 times on the first notch off full choke and it started. Am I ever excited.

Thanks a million tons.

Yeah that is one of the reasons I hate stihl saws it that you have to squeeze the trigger then put the choke on, what a pain in the butt! If you do not it breaks the choke switch! I like the dol/kita, husky way of yank out choke, pull till burp, push choke in an pull once or twice till running. I broke 3 switches on the GF Stihl 170 before I tossed that POS in the weeds and urinated on it. I do like the easy start for people who have bad joints or something like that.

Now I Really don't understand when some guys say they like Stihl controls over Husqvarna?

The Husky controls are so much simpler! :msp_smile:

Yes, I second that. You shouldn't have, or need to have, a finger on the trigger to start it. It should start like all modern Stihls do; fully engage the throttle trigger and hold it while pushing the switch shaft (choke or stop/run selector) all the way down, which puts it into full choke. Pull the cord until you get a 'pop'. Move the selector up one notch to half-choke. Pull the cord until the saw fires & starts running. 'Blip' the throttle trigger which automatically moves the selector to 'run' and drops the throttle down to a resting idle position.

One hand on the wrap handle and one hand to pull the starter cord. Add a foot if you prefer a ground start over a drop start.

For the record, I can't stand the easy start system either - very unnatural, awkward, and unnecessary. Never the less, it still only requires two hands for an quick & efficient start on a properly functioning saw. Also, be careful not to pull the cord hard & fast like a normal saw or you'll ruin the easy start, they're supposed to be pulled more easily & slowly . . . hence the 'easy' part of the tag name.

Good luck!

P.S. If you decide to change it over to a regular start PM me - I believe I have the parts necessary to do that.

Nit pick: There is no "half-choke" on a stihl...at least not on any of mine (newest 361 bought in the first few years of production). Only Choke, Hi Idle, Run, Off.

Harry K

Back