I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off. I not an expert at anything and that is why I love this forum. So much to learn from great people.

In the 1980s I used to do a program on chain saw maintenance at a forest ranger boot camp for new trainees. Nothing special but they enjoyed it.
in the future I would like to have people come in to learn about hand sharpening chain and I will be using your chain vises. There is a gentleman at a nearby hardwood lumber CO. I hope to get to put on the school.

Thank you very much for explaining that that is really cool. There are a lot of people that own saws but do not have a clue how a chain works or even how to sharpen it. When I went to my first get together I had never filed the chain and I watched over the shoulders of the guys and I thought to myself this looks like something I need to learn.

When I started cutting wood on my own three years ago dad handed me down an old granberg grind n joint that was so wore out it was amazing that it even ran. My first file was the top plate style file guide on semi chisel chain on my super XL. I had nice big chips coming out of my first cut I thought to myself man that's the way to go.

I think that is really cool that you have desire to teach that. Kudos man keep up the good work!!

Yes it will function normally without the Timberline.

I guess I'm wondering what is the difference between the gen3 HD and the gen3 and then is there a gen3 Timberline? I've looked back in the thread and not found a definitive distinction outlined. I want one just need to know which will be the best for my purposes. Thanks and really like what you are doing.

I guess I'm wondering what is the difference between the gen3 HD and the gen3 and then is there a gen3 Timberline? I've looked back in the thread and not found a definitive distinction outlined. I want one just need to know which will be the best for my purposes. Thanks and really like what you are doing.

The standard gen 3 has a relief at the top of the Vice for the Husky roller guide. The gen 3 HD vice does not have this and is more robust at the top of the vice. The Timberline version is either vice modified for the use of a Timberline sharpener.

Give me about a half hour here and I'll have pictures of all three up.

The chips are cutting as we speak:D

Please call or PM me. I really want to talk to you about these vises.

540.387.2922 (work, until 4:30pm EST)

Thanks,

Lane

How many of you guys want a gen 3 Timberline version? I know of 2 I thought about having one more on hand.

I am on the list for a Gen 3. I use a Timberline unit and a roller guide. Do I need to order a vise for each, or will one one model handle both? If I need a separate vise for the Timberline, add me to the list for that one as well.

OK here they are.

First up is Gen3
zasu2ary.jpg

4 cutters up on top.
a4uresut.jpg

Roller friendly ;)
4e7unyde.jpg

Timberline front view as normal vise.
u6u4upab.jpg

Timberline rear view as normal vise.
4a4ehanu.jpg

Timberline installed.
eqetehyq.jpg

You can use both on same vise.
zaregyme.jpg

This one is still on prototype phase.
ezahavag.jpg

I forgot the HD at work but it just doesn't have the relief for the roller guide.

The rails are.070" thick, as thick as I could fit a roller over.
sevavuby.jpg

Last edited:
Timberline installed.
eqetehyq.jpg

You can use both on same vise.
zaregyme.jpg

This one is still on prototype phase.
ezahavag.jpg

I forgot the HD at work but it just doesn't have the relief for the roller guide.

The rails are.070" thick, as thick as I could fit a roller over.
sevavuby.jpg

Mike, Great pictures. It allows the person to see your vise and all the hard work behind it. Taking pictures and posting them out here for us to see is a job in itself. Carry on...

The standard gen 3 has a relief at the top of the Vice for the Husky roller guide. The gen 3 HD vice does not have this and is more robust at the top of the vice. The Timberline version is either vice modified for the use of a Timberline sharpener.

Give me about a half hour here and I'll have pictures of all three up.

The chips are cutting as we speak:D

Thanks - that definitely answers my question. Now I just need to do some thinking to see which one I want. :msp_rolleyes:

Can you put your paypal name in your sig for easier finding when someone wants to order?

Again I like the way you are staying on top of this. :clap:

How many of you guys want a gen 3 Timberline version? I know of 2 I thought about having one more on hand.

I was needing a gen 3, however seeing as I have a timberline this would be superior.

They just keep getting and better and better:rock: almost afraid to buy to early :msp_biggrin:

Please, continue any further pics and further descriptions regarding the differences or attributes of the different generations or versions.

Thank you all for your compliments I really enjoy machining and building this kind of stuff. And I also appreciate the fact that you guys can recognize what it takes to do this.

For those of you wondering there is a gen 4 in my head. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your compliments I really enjoy machining and building this kind of stuff. And I also appreciate the fact that you guys can recognize what it takes to do this.

For those of you wondering there is a gen 4 in my head. :rolleyes:

Do you still offer the one with the round end?

Steve NW WI was kind enough to bring his Gen 2 vise to TreeMonkey's GTG yesterday, which is the first time I have seen one in person. Very nice! Very finished/quality feel to it.

For those of you wondering there is a gen 4 in my head.

You gonna tease us, or give us some idea of what you are thinking?

Philbert

Back