I need a lighter 45-50cc SAW...any recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Poulan PRO PP5020 20 in bar...really satisfied with the performance for the small amount of cutting I do, but due to some back/shoulder injuries, the 15 lbs is more than I like right now.
I'd like to get something close to the same power, but much lighter if possible.

I am far from a Guru on saws, but I know that there are several on this site who are literally "saw gods" overflowing with great advice or at least great sarcasm! lol:clap:
My local chainsaw billy-boys want to offer me a $100 trade in toward a new Echo CS 450P or 500P...what do you think about this?

I gave $145 plus tax new for the Poulan about 9-10 months ago.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reggie

I have a Poulan PRO PP5020 20 in bar...really satisfied with the performance for the small amount of cutting I do, but due to some back/shoulder injuries, the 15 lbs is more than I like right now.
I'd like to get something close to the same power, but much lighter if possible.

I am far from a Guru on saws, but I know that there are several on this site who are literally "saw gods" overflowing with great advice or at least great sarcasm! lol:clap:
My local chainsaw billy-boys want to offer me a $100 trade in toward a new Echo CS 450P or 500P...what do you think about this?

I gave $145 plus tax new for the Poulan about 9-10 months ago.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reggie

OK, I'll bite. I would recommend a Stihl MS 261, it really rips as a firewood saw. Plus, do you really need a 20" bar? I live in Idaho, cutting mostly lodge pole pine and get along great with a 16 inch bar. The Stihl is expensive, but it's light, with plenty of power. (I'm sure the Husky crowd will chime in any second!!):msp_rolleyes:

OK, I'll bite. I would recommend a Stihl MS 261, it really rips as a firewood saw. Plus, do you really need a 20" bar? I live in Idaho, cutting mostly lodge pole pine and get along great with a 16 inch bar. The Stihl is expensive, but it's light, with plenty of power. (I'm sure the Husky crowd will chime in any second!!):msp_rolleyes:

Thanks RPrice,.hmm..just looked at one of those about a month ago.

$100 for a poulan on a trade sounds like a good deal to me, and echo makes a good product. And if money is not an issue there is some other good stuff out there. me personally would recommend a Husky 550xp or 545.

Last edited:
(I'm sure the Husky crowd will chime in any second!!):msp_rolleyes:
:D You rang? :D

Reggie, have a looksee at the Husky 353. It's a pro-quality 50cc that weighs in at 11# nekkid. A fine firewood saw. Put an 18" b&c on it... cut firewood all day and not get tuckered out. :)

Redmax makes a 45cc saw that weighs under 10lbs. If you have problems with your shoulder when you crank your saw the echo brand has some easy starting saws. How big is the diameter of the wood you usually cut?

Redmax makes a 45cc saw that weighs under 10lbs. If you have problems with your shoulder when you crank your saw the echo brand has some easy starting saws. How big is the diameter of the wood you usually cut?

Thanks...usually under 24 in or so.

I doubt you will not get a major weight reduction with your choices. If it would be my choice I would seriously think about a max. 40cc saw with max. 14 inch bar. It will be sufficient for many uses. I would keep the poulan for the time when it is not sufficient.

Light, strong, cheap, pick two.....

Ported 346xp..if you start used, then add porting, you'll come in at new but stock price....

What 7sleeper said.
Pick up a brand new Stihl 180 w/ 14" bar for about 200 bucks and take the Poulan along for the bigger stuff. I've got a 260 pro and a 180, my two-saw setup, and that little 180 sees a lot of run time. 16" and 20" bars for the 260, and if the wood's too big for the 20" bar I really don't want to fool with it anyway. My two cents, if you have the coin, the 260 pro is a lot of saw for the weight and size and the 180 is almost a one-hander (DON"T do it).

When you say you're after a light weight 50cc saw, that's telling me that you're after a pro grade saw because those are always lighter than their homeowner counterparts. I'm thinking Stihl MS 261 (11.6 lbs.), Husqvarna 346XP (11 lbs.), Jonsered 2153 (? lbs.), and the Echo CS-500P comes in at a slight 10.6 lbs. (impressive for a 50cc saw, but have no idea how much HP it has). It you're buying new, the Echo seems pretty reasonable, but all the others are going to be $$$$. I don't know how the Echo competes with the other three. Will save a lot of money buying used, but is going this route going to be worth it in the end? Really depends on what your end game is and how much you're willing to pay.

I had a Stihl MS 211 and I really loved it. I cut a lot of wood with it until I traded it in for a bigger Stihl. The MS 271 and the MS 291 are really great saws and have lots of power. You can't go wrong with a Stihl. I also had a older Husqvarna Special 45 that was a real good saw too!!

I'd listen to Sunfish he's got all the good toys, just look at his equipment list.
Holy Cow! I just looked at my equipment list. I do not own a 45-50cc chainsaw. How on earth have I managed to cut 300 cords of firewood in the past 10 years without one?

Hmmm... I guess my 42cc Craftsman that is hiding in the closet and not on my list might qualify. A Stihl dealer told me to replace it with an MS250. I told the Craftsman what he said and it suddenly started on the second pull. :msp_wink:

Holy Cow! I just looked at my equipment list. I do not own a 45-50cc chainsaw. How on earth have I managed to cut 300 cords of firewood in the past 10 years without one?

Hmmm... I guess my 42cc Craftsman that is hiding in the closet and not on my list might qualify. A Stihl dealer told me to replace it with an MS250. I told the Craftsman what he said and it suddenly started on the second pull. :msp_wink:

:laugh:

My vote geos for a slightly used Husky 346xp. It will run a 20" bar. You could get 2 bars for it, a 20" and a 16". I really like the Idea of keeping the 20" polen and geting a 16" B&C on a 346xp. you can never have too many saws! A 346xp would really scream thru the wood with a 16" B&C on it.

I picked up a MS 170 about 6 months ago. Its very light and seems to run pretty good.
I’ve only put about 10 hours on it so I’m still just breaking it in.
The chain stays tight and doesn’t need constant adjustment. Like many of the cheap box store brands I’ve used in the past.
I’ll have to get some more hours on it to see how well it holds up, but I like it and it cuts just fine for a small saw.
It is good on fuel as well.

My MS170 was only $179.00 so not a high priced saw at all.
It’s not on there pro saw list but when comparing the specs between the pro line and the farm use line. There exactly the same, so where is the money in a pro saw?
I have the MS 170/two-290’s/391 and they have been great saws, never giving me any problems at all.
I’ve used several cheap Poland saws in the $100/120 range and they don’t compare to a stihl.
I’m sure there are other good brands out there, but my experience is limited to only a few brands.

Last edited:
Just an example of how a 180 cuts.

Stihl MS 180 - YouTube

It is like all "plastic" saws. They want to be treated well and they will treat you well. They can cut alot!!! of wood without giving you any problems. When they give you major problems it might be time for a new one. So I don't jump aboard the bus saying "all non pro saws are junk". Au contraire, they will give you many many years of use with the same amount of care as pro saws.
The spektrum of these saws goes from the poulan wood shark for 100$ to the Stihl MS 200 rear handle if you want to you want to spend a real wad of cash!
I would check out the 40cc shootout thread by mastermind(the redmax seems a really good buy) and the 180 thread by blsnelling so you get a look on what else is available.

Latest posts

Back