I need a proper saw - advice please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmethodrose

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, I have posted on this site before a couple of years ago, when I was bitten by the chainsaw bug and wanted to get into carving. Unfortunatley funds didn't allow it at the time, and so it took a back seat for a while...

Recently work that had to be done at home required the use of a chainsaw, and rather than hire one for a day I brought a cheap £50 second hand but never used Ryobi. This had never been taken out of the box, had just sat in someones garage gathering just for a year before they decided to sell it. Unsure of the model number, but it's a 44cc engine with a 20" bar - a piece of crap, but it cuts wood. Now that I have it, I want to get into carving and we have a good supply of free wood locally - driftwood!

I realise that this saw is unlikely to last long, and will probably struggle with pulling its 20" bar in hardwood up to 28" thick, as we frequently get here. So my plan is to do as much as I can with it until I can afford a proper saw for this, then fit it with a small carving bar and continue using it till it breaks and has to be replaced with a Stihl/Husky. So my question is which saw is capable of pulling a 26" bar though anything I tell it to? I've been looking at a Makita/Dolmar 7900, or a used Husky 372. Have thought about Stihl, but they strike me as being more expensive. Looking for something around the £450 mark, so the Makita would seem ideal to me.

Last question - on <a href="http://ww.lawson-hi.co.uk/sipts/details.php?=Petrol%20Chainsaws%20Makita&product=64616">this site</a> it gives the option for a slightly more expensive 7901 with decompresser. Is this necessary? I have used saws both with and without decompression valves, and couldn't tell the difference. Is it worth an extra tenner?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
7900 and 372 sound like winners. Sounds like a 24" bar is about what ya need. Don't count out the Solo 681, good reviews on it and it seems to be priced about right.

Hi everyone,

First of all, I have posted on this site before a couple of years ago, when I was bitten by the chainsaw bug and wanted to get into carving. Unfortunatley funds didn't allow it at the time, and so it took a back seat for a while...

Recently work that had to be done at home required the use of a chainsaw, and rather than hire one for a day I brought a cheap £50 second hand but never used Ryobi. This had never been taken out of the box, had just sat in someones garage gathering just for a year before they decided to sell it. Unsure of the model number, but it's a 44cc engine with a 20" bar - a piece of crap, but it cuts wood. Now that I have it, I want to get into carving and we have a good supply of free wood locally - driftwood!

I realise that this saw is unlikely to last long, and will probably struggle with pulling its 20" bar in hardwood up to 28" thick, as we frequently get here. So my plan is to do as much as I can with it until I can afford a proper saw for this, then fit it with a small carving bar and continue using it till it breaks and has to be replaced with a Stihl/Husky. So my question is which saw is capable of pulling a 26" bar though anything I tell it to? I've been looking at a Makita/Dolmar 7900, or a used Husky 372. Have thought about Stihl, but they strike me as being more expensive. Looking for something around the £450 mark, so the Makita would seem ideal to me.

Last question - on <a href="http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Petrol%20Chainsaws%20Makita&product=64616">this site</a> it gives the option for a slightly more expensive 7901 with decompresser. Is this necessary? I have used saws both with and without decompression valves, and couldn't tell the difference. Is it worth an extra tenner?

Thanks in advance
Joe

I have a 7900 that does not have a de-comp valve and i fitted a Stihl Elastostart handle on it before i started it for the 2nd time.
It will still pull the handle out of my hand now and then, So yes pay the extra tenner for the 7901

Just my .02

I would be a bit leary about carving driftwood. At least around here, it is usually loaded with sand. Would eat up many chains. Sometimes things are free for a reason.

so worth an extra tenner? hardly breaking the bank...

I've never seen a solo saw for sale or being used here in the UK, which makes me hesitate due to possible problems getting parts, unless anyone can advise anywhere? Dolmar/Makita parts are achievable, Stihl and Husky parts are all over the place but not many other brands to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the quick answers!
Joe

the wood around here isn't on a beach - banks of an estuary, with hardly any sand at all. Maybe a little mud on the outside, but not enough to be really noticable I wouldn't think, but haven't tried yet! Will be using the Ryobi for a while to earn the funds for a proper saw, so if that does turn out to be the case it won't be a massive loss.

Joe

so worth an extra tenner? hardly breaking the bank...

I've never seen a solo saw for sale or being used here in the UK, which makes me hesitate due to possible problems getting parts, unless anyone can advise anywhere? Dolmar/Makita parts are achievable, Stihl and Husky parts are all over the place but not many other brands to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the quick answers!
Joe

Ive never seen a Solo either!
Makita parts are easy to get and much cheaper than stihl
Dont you want a small saw for carving?
The World Chainsaw Carving Championships are on the 30th Aug At Carrbridge 15 miles away from me
Any one going?

Hi everyone,

Last question - on <a href="http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Petrol%20Chainsaws%20Makita&product=64616">this site</a> it gives the option for a slightly more expensive 7901 with decompresser. Is this necessary? I have used saws both with and without decompression valves, and couldn't tell the difference. Is it worth an extra tenner?

Thanks in advance
Joe

For carving, two Stihls. One a MS200 with a reduced size carving bar, and the other a MS260 (or another MS200) for rough in work. That is how I would proceed.......

Oh, the 20" bar is way too long for a 44 cc saw, go with a 16 and it will last much longer!

Last edited:
Stihl's may be expensive but you get what you pay for. In the states, husky is the same price if not higher than Stihl. I would say look for a used 044/440 or 046/460. These would be the choice for a 25"-28" bar. The rear handle MS200 is the best light saw out but may be over your price range, great for carving. You could also look for a used 026/260. Be careful buying used though, not matter the brand, it could be worn all to hell.:chainsaw:

well thanks everyone for all the answers, will keep looking on ebay for used deals and keep saving! I really have no preference over the brand, I have used both Stihl and Huskys and found they were both excellent saws. Eventually I will want a smaller saw, but like I said price is an issue so my rough plan is as follows:

1. Keep going with my Ryobi until I can afford a bigger saw for roughing out, then replace the 20" bar on Ryobi with a smaller carving bar, maybe 14".

2. Stick with this until I can afford a 026/260 with a 16" bar. While I said I have no real preference, this is one of the best saws I have ever used and it is my personal opinion that Stihl make slightly better small saws (in general) than Husky. Please don't hate me! Then save up even more and buy a ms180 or if I get lucky a rear handled ms200, to be fitted with a small carving bar. If the Ryobi is still alive at this point, it can spend its days in the retirement home of my shed, ocassionally used as a backup saw/loan saw.

Thanks for all the advice, and will post on here when I get my new 7900/372/440 (may be some time!)

Cheers,
Joe

I would be a bit leary about carving driftwood. At least around here, it is usually loaded with sand. Would eat up many chains. Sometimes things are free for a reason.

I second this. Last year in cutting up some huge driftwood that washed up on a friends' rocky beach, I went through quite a few chains. Even though I took what I thought was great care in avoiding mud and sand. What a pain.

Next time I do driftwood cleanup, they'll be paying for beer AND chains!

Latest posts

Back