i need help with some acceptable knots for hanging a pully or block

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The loopie (invented by Norm Hall) is The Best Way to hang a block from a limb

Yesterday was HOT. Me, and the 3 guys working with me were all close to being heat sick by the time the job was finished. Lots of water, plenty of breaks in the shade.....just too damn hot.

So when I said whoopie sling yesterday for hanging blocks, I really meant loopie for the block. I use an amsteel whoopie for the porty, and like it very well too.

Yesterday was HOT. Me, and the 3 guys working with me were all close to being heat sick by the time the job was finished. Lots of water, plenty of breaks in the shade.....just too damn hot.

So when I said whoopie sling yesterday for hanging blocks, I really meant loopie for the block. I use an amsteel whoopie for the porty, and like it very well too.

all water and no gatoraide? If you drink a ton of water you are washing all the salt out of your system try a drink of gatoraide and see if it helps.

You trust those things for blocking down really big pieces, like in the 1500 to 2k lbs range? I dont think I could personally.

all water and no gatoraide? If you drink a ton of water you are washing all the salt out of your system try a drink of gatoraide and see if it helps.

Started the day w/ a quart of gatorade, and then water after that. Electolytes was a big part of the problem though.

Loopie is just an eye sling right? I'm pretty sure that's what my tenex sling is. Been so long since I bought it I can't remember but I'm almost positive it's a loopie sling.

Funny thing about knots, the same knot will be called something different when used for a different application and knots are often called different names in different regions. I was reading the ABOK a few weeks back and the simple clove hitch has many different names when used for different applications. It's the same knot in every instance though.

As far as the cow hitch/girth hitch. It's basically the same knot. I call it a cow hitch when I tie it on a line and a girth hitch when I tie it in a webbing sling.

You trust those things for blocking down really big pieces, like in the 1500 to 2k lbs range? I dont think I could personally.

I'm using the 3/8" amsteel, tensile 19.6k (a bit higher than 3/4" stable braid), but to answer your question, no. I'd have to move up to the 1/2" amsteel to feel comfortable hanging a ton on it. Even then a 2k# chunk would probably exceed the wll with the dynamic loading.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to catching big chunks with the tree I'm tied into, and I'm ok with that.

Loopie is just an eye sling right? I'm pretty sure that's what my tenex sling is. Been so long since I bought it I can't remember but I'm almost positive it's a loopie sling.

The loopie is an adjustable continous loop girth hitched to the tree. As close to bullet proof as I can see for block hanging, and really hard to mess up.

I forgot my loppie slings one time and i felt like my dog died, thats how much i missed having it for attaching blocks instead of tying them. I can adjust and attach my loopie in less than 30 secs. Not that speed maters more than making sure its attached right but there so easy to use that they just attach fast.

i think the timber hitch is a little finicky. id either locks up too tight and is a pain to untie especially after dynamic loading. i need t start using something like that knot above. it looks like it will work good for a pulley too.

i think the timber hitch is a little finicky. id either locks up too tight and is a pain to untie especially after dynamic loading. i need t start using something like that knot above. it looks like it will work good for a pulley too.

Yeah, I do hate it when that damn timber hitch tightens up so much that I have to break out the sledge hammer to knock it free.. that is a drawback. Good point vox!

If the Timber Hitch is tight, pull the block off the eye and pull the eye through. Am I missing something here? Thats where the aluminum spring blocks are slick.

A little shortcut you can use when blocking the spar is to take your eye sling and double it, put 5 or 7 twists in it then drop the eye with the block on it through the end loop. Drop it over the spar and work it down to your desired rigging point. Dress and set the knot and you're ready to go.

A little shortcut you can use when blocking the spar is to take your eye sling and double it, put 5 or 7 twists in it then drop the eye with the block on it through the end loop. Drop it over the spar and work it down to your desired rigging point. Dress and set the knot and you're ready to go.

You are so technical! Is that why you are the 'tree md?
Jeff :)

Back