I Need Some Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
sorry to start a thread with my first post, and i'm really sorry said thread is a request for help, but i desperately need some.

first, the backstory:
- i go out and cut wood (mostly already dead or fallen trees) with my father-in-law. i feel like this is bonding time for us. i am currently using a Poulan Wild Thing saw with a 16" bar. i bought it refurbed from Overstock.com for around $100. i have often had difficulty starting it. (i have a bad shoulder) more often than not, i get frustrated and pass the saw off to pop-in-law so he can start it for me. we are going to start cutting again soon, and my wife gave me the green light to buy a new saw... :blob2:

- i want something that will last ???? near forever (with proper maintenance, of course). if i had my way, i would get one with a key start, but seeing as to how they don't make 'em like that, i have to stay traditional.
- i am 95% positive i am buying a stihl, but now i have to decide which one.

the first is the 250c. here it is: http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS250C.html
the way i see it, the pro on this one is the easy start.

the other one is the 260: http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS260.html
it has the IntelliCarb™ compensating carburetor and one of my local dealers has told me it is 3 times the saw of the 250 for an extra $100.

price really isn't the issue. i like the 260 better because the dealer told me it is the start of the pro series, but i am basically taking his word for it.

does anyone have any advice for me? any help would be greatly appreciated...

Either one should give good service, from everything I've read or heard. You may also wish to look at the 270 and 280, folks usually toss those into the running when the 250 and 260 are being looked at for firewood use. Not sure which one I would choose, but I wouldn't feel bad going cutting with any of these.

pyromaniac guy said:
sorry to start a thread with my first post, and i'm really sorry said thread is a request for help, but i desperately need some.

first, the backstory:
- i go out and cut wood (mostly already dead or fallen trees) with my father-in-law. i feel like this is bonding time for us. i am currently using a Poulan Wild Thing saw with a 16" bar. i bought it refurbed from Overstock.com for around $100. i have often had difficulty starting it. (i have a bad shoulder) more often than not, i get frustrated and pass the saw off to pop-in-law so he can start it for me. we are going to start cutting again soon, and my wife gave me the green light to buy a new saw... :blob2:

- i want something that will last ???? near forever (with proper maintenance, of course). if i had my way, i would get one with a key start, but seeing as to how they don't make 'em like that, i have to stay traditional.

the first is the 250c. here it is: http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS250C.html
the way i see it, the pro on this one is the easy start.

the other one is the 260: http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/MS260.html
it has the IntelliCarb™ compensating carburetor and one of my local dealers has told me it is 3 times the saw of the 250 for an extra $100.

price really isn't the issue. i like the 260 better because the dealer told me it is the start of the pro series, but i am basically taking his word for it.

does anyone have any advice for me? any help would be greatly appreciated...
Spend the extra money and get the MS260. Excellent Pro-quality machine.

The old 026's were replaced by the MS260 rock solid, durable and dependable, will last you with proper maintenance and TLC. However if money is no object and you really want to kick some hind bacon spend a bit more and go to the MS361 it is however heavier than the 260. Many pro's run 026/260's day in day out, these saws take a lickin and keep on cutting.

Get the 260 Pro and its easier to crank, has a decompression button that pops back out once the saw starts; the plain 260 does not have this feature. Also, the 260 Pro has an adjustable oiler and the plain 260 does not. Both are great firewood saws; but, spend a couple extra bucks and get the MS260 Pro.

Tom

Last edited:
Lobo said:
The old 026's were replaced by the MS260 rock solid, durable and dependable, will last you with proper maintenance and TLC. However if money is no object and you really want to kick some hind bacon spend a bit more and go to the MS361 it is however heavier than the 260. Many pro's run 026/260's day in day out, these saws take a lickin and keep on cutting.

Agree 100%. Price not being an issue, there is no comparison between the 250 and the 260. And while you're at it, look at the 361 like Lobo said.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
Agree 100%. Price not being an issue, there is no comparison between the 250 and the 260. And while you're at it, look at the 361 like Lobo said.Jeff
One more 100% agreement - provided it has to be a Stihl! :blob2:

West Texas said:
Get the 260 Pro and its easier to crank, has a decompression button that pops back out once the saw starts; the plain 260 does not have this feature. Also, the 260 Pro has an adjustable oiler and the plain 260 does not. Both are great firewood saws; but, spend a couple extra bucks and get the MS260 Pro.

Tom

yeah, the 260 Pro was the one i looked at. the dealer showed me how easy it is to start with the decompression. like i said, the 260 pro was only $100 more.

250c = $329
260 Pro = $429

both with 16" bars
i am also thinking of spending an addition $20 to go to an 18"

fishhuntcutwood said:
Agree 100%. Price not being an issue, there is no comparison between the 250 and the 260. And while you're at it, look at the 361 like Lobo said.

Jeff
i checked out the stats on the stihl site about the 361. might be a little more than i need, but i will check it out at the dealer

pyromaniac guy said:
i am also thinking of spending an addition $20 to go to an 18"
Saws in the 3 cube class are at their best with 15-16" bars. Longer bars will reduce cutting speed, even when not buried in wood, due to increased friction. It will also be front heavy, and less agile in use.
I suggest that you get it with the 16", and then buy a 18" to 20" setup for limited use when really needed.
If a lot of your cuts are more than 16", I think you should seriously consider a bigger saw.

I agree with SawTroll in both posts that he has made so far in this thread and also with the general consensus that the ms260 is a hard saw to beat if the saw has to be a Stihl and price isn`t the determining factor.

Welcome to the forum, new blood is good!

Russ

SawTroll said:
Saws in the 3 cube class are at their best with 15-16" bars. Longer bars will reduce cutting speed, even when not buried in wood, due to increased friction. It will also be front heavy, and less agile in use.
I suggest that you get it with the 16", and then buy a 18" to 20" setup for limited use when really needed.
If a lot of your cuts are more than 16", I think you should seriously consider a bigger saw.

i believe that 99% of my cuts will be able to be accomplished with a 16" bar. and for larger cuts, my father-in-law had a 22 or 24" saw...

thanks everyone for all your help

pyromaniac guy said:
Pyro, I reread parts of this tread, and saw that you weren't 100% sure it had to be a Stihl. Somehow I missed that point originally..... :eek:

On that background I strongly suggest that you consider the Husky 346xp and 353, if your choise so far is the MS260 Pro.
They are more modern designs than the MS260 Pro, with much better vibration dampening and air filtration, and imo better ergonomics.
They both have adjustable oilers, but only the 353 has decompression valve.
Prices should be lower also, in your part of the world.

The down side is slightly more weight (353), and outboard cluch, if that bothers you.

Please don't get me wrong, I do like the 026/260 - I just like the 353 better. ;)

Last edited:
pyro, I use as MS250 that is about a year old. I cut mesquite which is hard wood and usually dirty. 250 is a good performer for it's size, but if money is not a factor, I would go for the 260 or if weight won't bother you a 361. I've run a 360 (361's forerunner) and it was a good saw but I traded it for a 460. You've received a lots of good responses to your question -Good Luck on your choice. This Is a great forum.

SawTroll said:
Pyro, I reread parts of this tread, and saw that you weren't 100% sure it had to be a Stihl. Somehow I missed that point originally..... :eek:

On that background I strongly suggest that you consider the Husky 346xp and 353, if your choise so far is the MS260 Pro.
They are more modern designs than the MS260 Pro, with much better vibration dampening and air filtration, and imo better ergonomics.
They both have adjustable oilers, but only the 353 has decompression valve.
Prices should be lower also, in your part of the world.

The down side is slightly more weight (353), and outboard cluch, if that bothers you.

Please don't get me wrong, I do like the 026/260 - I just like the 353 better. ;)

what's an outboard clutch?

HiOctane said:
Means that the clutch is at the end of the crankshaft,not the sprocket.So when you remove the brake cover ,the first thing you see is the clutch,the sprocket will be "behind" the clutch.

A biiitch for maintenance. :cry:

Back