I prefer outboard Clutches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD MAX

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I cut a lot of really dry really dusty type wood and after one day my 372xpw has so much dust built up in it that the chain moves when you pull the rope. My 395 however is unaffeceted and stays much cooler. it just my opinion but I prefer outboard all day long.

I cut a lot of really dry really dusty type wood and after one day my 372xpw has so much dust built up in it that the chain moves when you pull the rope. My 395 however is unaffeceted and stays much cooler. it just my opinion but I prefer outboard all day long.

I will compare my Husky 272XP and my Husky 385XP

As you now the 272XP has outboard clutch, and the only issue is chain tightning. Sometimes the chain is hard to put on, but you get used to that.
My 385XP has inboard clutch and as such, easy to tighten the chain, place the chain on ect...

Only concern I have is heat, will the 272 dispace more heat to outside the saw than the 385?

While none of my saws have inboard clutches, I do get the advantages of it. But a clutch is a friction device, and as such is capable of dissipating a lot of heat. Granted, it's not supposed to be in normal use, but even 3hp is over 2200W, all going into a fairly small steel bell with little airflow. You should be able to get to serious temperatures pretty fast.

The ones I really don't get are plastic chassis saws with inboard clutches - we see the results of that over and over. There's just not enough safety margin there or my tastes.

Votes for inboard clutches (for the sake of discussion):

- faster/easier to swap out a chain;
- easier to fit a tight chain loop;
- able to pull the powerhead off of a bar pinched in a log;
- easier/faster to change drive sprockets;
- I like all the chain brake stuff mounted on the saw body instead of on the side/clutch cover;
- clutch cover is easier to clean, cheaper to replace.

These are all maintenance things. Once the saw is up and running, I am happy to use either one as long as it is running smooth.

Philbert

Votes for inboard clutches (for the sake of discussion):

- faster/easier to swap out a chain;
- easier to fit a tight chain loop;
- able to pull the powerhead off of a bar pinched in a log;
- easier/faster to change drive sprockets;
- I like all the chain brake stuff mounted on the saw body instead of on the side/clutch cover;
- clutch cover is easier to clean, cheaper to replace.

These are all maintenance things. Once the saw is up and running, I am happy to use either one as long as it is running smooth.

Philbert

Side ways balance trumps all your points ! .:)

When I'm limbing I get better handling from an outboard. On my larger saws it's just an ease of use to have inboard.

Inboards suck for noodling and dust plugs up to easy.I have a harder time taking kinks out of the 24" chain than actually installing it on the bar. Maybee some of you guys should start by sewing up some socks and getting your fingers working before trying to much mechanical work :byebye:

I like fake boobies

They just feel really nice to me, and stay perky forever. Not a big deal when u'r 24, but I'm not. What the heck are y'all talkin' 'bout anyway? They both work, people got their preferences

Inboard... had one to many times with my only saw pinched in a cut, and no way in hell I'm leaving my powerhead attached in a tree while I go find a way to get it out. That being said, I'll never go cutting again with only one saw. But, still, if its pinched in a fall, i really dont want my powerhead anywhere near the tree once i finally get it to fall. my Echos and Homelites are all inboard, the Poulans and quake are outboard. I notice no difference, yet anyway. .

While none of my saws have inboard clutches, I do get the advantages of it. But a clutch is a friction device, and as such is capable of dissipating a lot of heat. Granted, it's not supposed to be in normal use, but even 3hp is over 2200W, all going into a fairly small steel bell with little airflow. You should be able to get to serious temperatures pretty fast.

The ones I really don't get are plastic chassis saws with inboard clutches - we see the results of that over and over. There's just not enough safety margin there or my tastes.

dis·si·pate verb
1. to exhaust or be exhausted by dispersion

gen·er·ate verb
1. to bring into existence; cause to be; produce.

I prefer inboards. I let go of the throttle and back up the saw when the chain stops spinning tho. :confused:

Love the fact that i can remove the powerhead if its stuck as ####. Only had to do it twice but its good to know i have that option. Installing the chain is easyer and i prefer to have the brake on the powerhead.

They both work and have their pros and cons, go with whatever floats your goat.

dis·si·pate verb
1. to exhaust or be exhausted by dispersion

gen·er·ate verb
1. to bring into existence; cause to be; produce.

Wonderful, you can look up words.

Finally! Back to English lessons! All this chainsaw crap was getting old. While a clutch will generate some heat (mostly while slipping, such as when the chain brake is activated at high idle) it is certainly not the primary heat generator in an internal combustion engine. An outboard clutch will dissipate more heat to the outside of the case.
That being said, there are plenty of running 044/066/046/372's out there receiving daily hard usage.

Wonderful, you can look up words.

Correction, I can comprehend words.

com·pre·hend verb
1. to understand the nature or meaning of; grasp with the mind; perceive: He did not comprehend the significance of the ambassador's remark.

I post definitions to assist those who lack intelligence and/or critical thinking skills.

HTH

On a larger saw, outboard is a more rigid setup for heavy bar lengths. On a small saw, inboard is a convenience but not a necessity.

I think that the heat comments are interesting. I always assumed in-board/out-board design had mostly to do with balance, saw body width, etc. Of course, these things vary quite a bit with the overall design of the saw, not just this factor.

How about gyroscopic effects? Anybody want to saw that an out-board clutch resists rotation more, leading to straighter cuts?

Philbert

Correction, I can comprehend words.

com·pre·hend verb
1. to understand the nature or meaning of; grasp with the mind; perceive: He did not comprehend the significance of the ambassador's remark.

I post definitions to assist those who lack intelligence and/or critical thinking skills.

HTH

Oh, so when you run into a big, scary new word, you look it up and post the definition - just in case there are others who are also ignorant? I suppose that is a well intentioned service, but it tends to clutter up the thread and interfere with the discussion.

Back