I realize it's just a chainsaw but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It may not be the biggest or the baddest or the best but after using my new to me 55 Rancher all I can say is YEAH!! I just finished bucking some monster oak and this bad boy rocks!! I think I'm coming down with that chainsaw fever I keep hearing about:dizzy: :clap: :dizzy: :clap: !! Thanks again for all the input fellas!

I realize it's just a chainsaw but... ????:confused: It's not just a saw , it is a way of life to some to cut the wood that heats their home. I do it because I like it not because I have to resort to it for heat. If you like it and it isn't hurting anybody why not ?

Sounds like you are catching the bug, turn back now or hold on for the ride.

:cheers:

I'm definately hooked!!

I saw on craigslist yesterday where a guy was selling a Jonsered 2041 and an Kioritz Echo 280E for 430 each!! I don't know anything about these brands other than what I've heard on AS but I'm sure thinking about getting them Before someone else claims them! You all tried to warn me and I didn't listen...I thought it would never happen to me lol:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Check out this link http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/916211675.html

Last edited:
The 55 is a really good saw, I have one myself.But the time will come when you will NEED (and for no real reason) a MUCH bigger and more powerful saw.And it just feels good.Thats why we do it.Some don't understand...Don't expect them too:)

This not being the chainsaw forum, there is no reason to apologize for your saw not being the biggest or baddest. Any saw that runs reliably and produces a pile of firewood is warmly accepted on this forum, where saw snobbery is less fashionable. :givebeer:

$430 for the above mentioned saws on craig's list might be OK for both of them, but is way too high a price for each.

Spike , you missed seeing the ad that was 4 saws for $30 each. He forgot to hit the shift key to tirn a 4 into a $.

A pair of chainsaws and a pair of skil saws.

Thombat4, are you going for the 5 saw plan ? That just means 50 steps to recovery.

Last edited:
Thombat4, are you going for the 5 saw plan ? That just means 50 steps to recovery.

Ks I'm really struggling right now with trying to come up with a reasonable excuse as to why I really need 5 chainsaws! This is a great website but I fear it will lead to my demise:dizzy: :dizzy: ! From here on out I realize I'll have to use a lot of restraint and I really need to stay away from craigslist!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Thanks for all the good-natured humor guys!

Ks I'm really struggling right now with trying to come up with a reasonable excuse as to why I really need 5 chainsaws! This is a great website but I fear it will lead to my demise:dizzy: :dizzy: ! From here on out I realize I'll have to use a lot of restraint and I really need to stay away from craigslist!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Thanks for all the good-natured humor guys!

A reasonable excuse?Why, thats easy.4 aint enough!In fact, 5 aint enough when you think about it.
At least that is what I keep telling my wife anyway.She's got over 50 pair of shoes, whats the difference?

I like the little 55 Husky. It's a pretty nice saw.

That being said, wait til you try a 372 or similar.:greenchainsaw:

I realize it's just a chainsaw but... ????:confused: It's not just a saw , it is a way of life to some to cut the wood that heats their home. I do it because I like it not because I have to resort to it for heat. If you like it and it isn't hurting anybody why not ?

Sounds like you are catching the bug, turn back now or hold on for the ride.

:cheers:

Yup. I've given some thought to the actual cost savings of burning. From a strictly financial vantage, it would make more sense to get an additional p/t job at the general store or the pizza shop and just buy more oil for the furnace. But that's not as much fun.

That, and there's something to be said about the heat radiating off from my stovetop and warming my hands after shoveling or snowblowing.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Spike , you missed seeing the ad that was 4 saws for $30 each. He forgot to hit the shift key to tirn a 4 into a $.

A pair of chainsaws and a pair of skil saws.

In that case, better grab all of 'em!

Yup. I've given some thought to the actual cost savings of burning.

It works for me. I enjoy paying $0.00 to the utility company for heat while others in similar size houses down here pay a $300-400 monthly bill throughout the winter.

It works for me. I enjoy paying $0.00 to the utility company for heat while others in similar size houses down here pay a $300-400 monthly bill throughout the winter.

I didnt realize it got that cold in Alabama. You learn something new everyday. Running oil,my heating bills here ran about 100-125 a month average for my tightly built 1750 sq ft ranch until last yr when oil went thru the roof.I burnt about 500-600 gallons a yr,heating and hot water.It can get fairly cold here from christmas until end of march,thats where i burnt the majority of the oil.

thom,I knew you'd love the 55.I love mine,its never given me a single problem,and it gets bouced around a lot in the back of my utility golf cart sometimes. Id like to get a 372 xp next,but for what i cut its kind of a want thing more than a need as my 460 rancher,55,and 345 eat up what i need easily.

Last edited:
Back