I realize it's just a chainsaw but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love my rancher i run 20" bar and its great i also have 385 xp with 24" bar it really gets the job done but lug it through the woods awhile and you can appreciate the 455

I didnt realize it got that cold in Alabama. You learn something new everyday. Running oil,my heating bills here ran about 100-125 a month average for my tightly built 1750 sq ft ranch until last yr when oil went thru the roof.I burnt about 500-600 gallons a yr,heating and hot water.It can get fairly cold here from christmas until end of march,thats where i burnt the majority of the oil.

The coldest I remember in recent years is 6° F but that doesn't happen often. It does get plenty cold down here (32° already - 2½ weeks ago) but always warms up in the daytime. Our house is built like a "cave" so we generally don't even think about putting any heat in here until late in November. In fact, I'm just getting around to cleaning my chimney today

Cooling is the big deal here. Most people in the country have heat pumps with auxiliary strip heat, or even worse, straight AC with an electric resistance furnace only. The ones that aren't good and tight get beat pretty badly on power cost.

I hope oil stays low for you. My wife and I were just talking yesterday about how bad early buyers this year got screwed. I hear some people paid over $4/gal.

when i got my 455 i thought it was badass too. then i came here...well more specificly the chainsaw forum. over there they tellyour saw is a pos and you need a 361, 7900 or a 372 lol. it definatly is a little more hardcore overthere. i stay here more than i do the chainsaw forum cuse most of us here are simple fellas cuttin for heat or just tryin to make a few bucks.

when i got my 455 i thought it was badass too. then i came here...well more specificly the chainsaw forum. over there they tellyour saw is a pos and you need a 361, 7900 or a 372 lol. it definatly is a little more hardcore overthere. i stay here more than i do the chainsaw forum cuse most of us here are simple fellas cuttin for heat or just tryin to make a few bucks.

:agree2: :agree2:

I got a 55 rancher, and i love it. I wanna sell it to fund a nice, newer, BIGGER saw. But i like it so much, and i'm not too well off, so i will prob keep it, cause i don't like taking chances on saws i never have ran, and i know i love mine. Even though it ain't huge. I'm looking into a 6401 now.

The votes are in...

I got a 55 rancher, and i love it. I wanna sell it to fund a nice, newer, BIGGER saw. But i like it so much, and i'm not too well off, so i will prob keep it, cause i don't like taking chances on saws i never have ran, and i know i love mine. Even though it ain't huge. I'm looking into a 6401 now.

And it looks like 55 Ranchers are a darn good piece of equipment to own! Like I said before, I'm glad I didn't let this one get away.:greenchainsaw:

Hey Congrats again on the saw - how do you do it?

Convince your better half, I mean.

I've seen a couple of decent deals (not SUPER but fair) on CL for a MS440 or similar sized saw...

But I'd NEVER convince the wife. Every time she sees me looking at the stuff, she freaks out and reminds me we've got another kid on the way... :dizzy:

On another note, what happened with the fuel cap and oil reservoir cap? Did you get the new ones with better o-rings?

my 55 rancher is a great saw...its my ONLY saw...till i fix the homielite for doing little stuff... I am thinking my next saw is going to be one of those Home Depot rental saws...with a piston kit to make it 79cc:)...but that won't be for a while.....

The Husky 55 was probably the best firewood saw ever made, long live the 55. With that said nothing beats the 50cc-70cc firewood combo.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree with what u said and I mainly just cut 4 heat in the house,garage and campground. There is alot to be learn't over there so I read alot and learn by asking questions, the guy's that have the experience to give u a usefull answer are'nt the one's bashing your saw. Igore the rest. It's all in fun! Just like busting out the MS660 with 32" bar on a 30" log when your buddy that heats with wood 2 is doing it with 50-60cc saw with 20"-24" bar!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

I agree with what u said and I mainly just cut 4 heat in the house,garage and campground. There is alot to be learn't over there so I read alot and learn by asking questions, the guy's that have the experience to give u a usefull answer are'nt the one's bashing your saw. Igore the rest. It's all in fun! Just like busting out the MS660 with 32" bar on a 30" log when your buddy that heats with wood 2 is doing it with 50-60cc saw with 20"-24" bar!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

But any saw that heats your house and family is a good one!

026 Pro was my first chainsaw when I bought this place I live in now. Of course after finding AS I went nuts and bought up every saw I could find. I have traded and sold a few of them. I really didnt need some of the saws I bought, but the bigger ones open up a new world of how big of trees can be harvested for firewood. Its also nice to run one limbing, one for medium sized stuff, and the big saws for felling and bucking up trunks and big limbs, as well as ripping big blocks apart to be able to load.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it took me almost 2 months after finding this site before I caught the "mulitple saw plan" bug really hard.
thombat4, you have set a new record.

I bought my MS290 in late sept, I cut every saturday and sunday, and sometimes get a hankering to fire it up during the week (Under the 500 w halogen light i picked up for 9$ at lowes (Clearance rack is the bomb).

I have acces to an 026 from 1992, and that gets fired up if I want a change of pace, but it has a much narrower chisle than the 290. My wife said that i could get a motorcycle and a chainsaw before the child.. .(Due in Jan) so I accomplished that. I don't imagine pulling the cord on another saw until next season (less i find one on the CL score..)

Btw, we do have an 031 that my grandfather found on the side of the road in the early 80's anyone know a good place to get it refurbed in PA/Lower NY area around Elmira? I am going to put that out on the main list too...

Hey Congrats again on the saw - how do you do it?

Convince your better half, I mean.

I've seen a couple of decent deals (not SUPER but fair) on CL for a MS440 or similar sized saw...

But I'd NEVER convince the wife. Every time she sees me looking at the stuff, she freaks out and reminds me we've got another kid on the way... :dizzy:

On another note, what happened with the fuel cap and oil reservoir cap? Did you get the new ones with better o-rings?

As long as I don't dip into the joint account I can pretty much get what I need if it ain't too expensive. I usually do a lot of research to try to find the best deals I can. As far as the fuel and oil caps go they don't seem to be a problem anymore...no more leaks. I think they just weren't on tight from the start. Cut a lot of huge oak yesterday and the saw performed exceptionally well! It's by far the best saw I own so far.

As long as I don't dip into the joint account I can pretty much get what I need if it ain't too expensive. I usually do a lot of research to try to find the best deals I can. As far as the fuel and oil caps go they don't seem to be a problem anymore...no more leaks. I think they just weren't on tight from the start. Cut a lot of huge oak yesterday and the saw performed exceptionally well! It's by far the best saw I own so far.

Awesome to see someone on here get those saws. I was thinking about it, but I was too busy last week and figured they were gone. The little echo has a good reputation too.

Latest posts

Back