I saw it on Ebay/Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is way high.300-350.00
You prob should buy a more modern saw with a better air filter.

Well this saw is going to be my... I tore it apart and made it new saw??
I dont know, I have 6 new sws now but I want an old girl to dissect and fondle
something I really dont plan on using except for fun

$300 - $350 is about the standard asking price for good looking Magnums around here. If it does not have the clear-side fuel tank, I'd subtract about $50. If it has cracks anywhere in the fuel tank, I'd subtract $100 or more from that number. 038 screw-cap fuel tanks are getting VERY hard to come by. The magnesium fuel tanks crack and break very easily, and I would not use one on a work saw.

Factory triple port mufflers are nice and add value, as well as wrap handlebars. Check the oiler function and gears if you can get a look. Those oilers are kind of complicated, but will throw ALOT of oil when in good shape. Upper A/V mounts can crack and loosen things up. Most of the 038's through here have some kind of wiring issues. It is very simple, but annoying when it won't shut off without the choke. If the switch shaft is "loose" the only way to fix it is a new spring for the switch-shaft. I have tried for hours to re-bend them, and the best option is just to replace the spring. Fuel vents are frequently missing on those. Don't let a little fuel leak sour a deal, as it may just be a fuel line or vent. I recently lost out on a trade thinking my fuel tank was leaking, when it fact it was just the fuel line grommet. Good luck. 038's are good saws. In the right hands, Magnums can be made to run with MS-460's in the power department.

If its to be just for fun then whatever price you deem reasonable is all that matters. A round of golf costs a lot too. Its all relative.
Pay whatever doesn't leave a pain in your gut and you will have done well.

Cheers! :cheers:

Looks decent. 1/2 wrap and china bar (I'll assume china chain also.) I'd go $325 if it has a nice clear fuel tank, $275 if it does not. But then again, I don't need another 038. He'll probably not be happy with those offers.

You'd have to be completely off your rocker to even entertain more than $200 for that saw. But, it's obvious you don't care. So go pay whatever you're going to pay. But don't come back crying for Vaseline after the fact.

I got a ported 038M with the 3-port muffler for $400, and sold it here in the AS classifieds a couple weeks ago for the same amount after having a blast cutting with it as a backup to the ported 460.

There's no way I'd pay more than $300 for an excellent unmodded 038M, no matter how cool I think they look or how much fun I have running one.

But it doesn't matter how much any of us would or would not pay. What matters is whether you want it bad enough to pay what the guy will take. If you are happy with the purchase, you will have made a good buy. I will add that, if you can wait and keep looking, you'll definitely be able to find a nice 038M for a lot less than the guy is asking. :)

As others have said, the asking price is way too much. I bought one on CL earlier this year and paid $125.00. It did need a little work, but I have less than $150.00 invested. The buys are out there. You just have to be patient and be there at the right time.

You'd have to be completely off your rocker to even entertain more than $200 for that saw. But, it's obvious you don't care. So go pay whatever you're going to pay. But don't come back crying for Vaseline after the fact.

the slapping has officially begun

Latest posts

Back