I Think This 026 Is Over-Oiling - Maybe??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am fixing this low-hour 026 for a friend. I have the same saw but pro model. I got it running but his saw seems to put out copious amounts of bar oil compared to mine. His oil pump is not adjustable. Can anyone tell me judging by the photos if his saw is within acceptable oiling limits? It makes a mess and totally swamps the clutch and places where bar oil is not useful. I ran the saw for about 1 minute and made one small cut before taking these photos. The saw had been entirely cleaned beforehand. Wonder what everyone's thoughts are on this because I often read that you can't have too much bar oil flowing but I will have to take the clutch drum off now after 1 minute of run time and clean it before it can be run again. Is it time for a new pump or can this one be throttled down? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Saw1x.jpg
    Saw1x.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Saw2x.jpg
    Saw2x.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Saw3x.jpg
    Saw3x.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 76
That baby is going to throw oil any time is running not just spinning the chain. So if you are idleing a long time it will load the bar with oil . Are you using bar oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About all I dealt with do that because the oiler is driven off the crank, not the clutch like the pro models. Basically, the when the engine is running, it is pumping oil. Don't let it sit idling excessively to avoid oil waste. As long as the saw runs out of fuel before it runs out of bar oil, it'll be fine.

Thank you very much for your responses! Yes Knobby57, I am using Stihl bar oil. So from what you say lasmacgod,
this is typical for this saw/pump to run this sloppy. I'll tell the saw owner to monitor the fuel level to oil level ratio but if this were my saw it would be unacceptable to me to have to pull the clutch drum and clean so very often. Thanks again!!

By Design, It oils ALL THE TIME. Even AT IDLE. Don't let it idle excessively, it won't be noticed.

Once your pulling chips into the cover it won't flow into the clutch.

My 026 iis the same way.

Thank you dl5205, Str8six and redfin for your replies, I value your input and knowledge and will pass the info to the saw owner. Having the process explained has relieved my concerns.

Back