I want some opinions on a splitter valve I have never heard of before!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
it's evidently been around for 5 years... and I was under a rock that long??:buttkick:
The rapid extend LSR-3060-3 from Prince.
Has anyone used one? What did it work like? Did you really use a small single stage pump?
What is the whole story?

Thanks in advance

Just looked it up on princes sight, sounds interesting, but needs 3/4" lines to work properly, where as most splitters are equipped with1/2", and most cylinders used are also 1/2" work ports.
operation is a soft stop for normal extend, full engaement past the soft spot feeds the return line of the front of the cylinder to the rear port + the pump out put, also states that the rapid extend feature is at a reduced pressure, so once you contact wood just return to soft stop for normal operation. De-tent operation for return same as the standard splitter valve. Didn't look for pricing on it. Personally I think the auto return valve would save more time those used to be about $350

Deereman76. I'm certain I did not understand everything I read about regeneration. I think I am accomplishing similar results by using 'stroke reducers', collars that slip over the cylinder rod and trip the detent on the return stroke. This reduces the distance the rod retracts, in my case from 24" to 18". They could also be used with an auto valve. Special ordered the size I needed from TSC because the ones they carry were to small diameter. Interesting post.

At a High Level,

1) only works on the extend stroke, not on retract.
2) significantly increases extend speed, how much depends on cylinder geometry.
3) Since we cannot have a free lunch, it reduces splitting Force the same percent that it increases speed.

To add to point 3, this valve has a normal extend position, and a Regen extend position, so if you need more Force than regen allows, you can stop using regen and Maximize splitting force by going old school.

This will give you the "feel" of a 2 stage pump, but only on the extend side of the equation. If you were to build a splitter from scratch, a 2 stage pump is a better option, because you get the increased retract speed as well.

I think any way you can shorten the distance the wedge has to travel each cylce is going to do more good than this valve...

I got it now.

Had to think that one thru. :yoyo:
I will return to my spot under a rock.

"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" is one of my brothers sayings. It would extend like crazy, and a cylinder with a effective size of 2" or so (rod size) on a 4gpm pump. Retract.... is gonna take eons.

I was trying to think of ways to speed up my 5X20 cylinder on little red. This sounded good until I thought about it. my 12 sec time ain't that bad. the other splitter with it's 8 sec time puts it in a different perspective.

Now, when ya think about ways to alter the cylinder and gain speed without losing push, here is something to think about.
say for instance you wanted a 5" cylinder to bust up those nasty rounds with huge tonnage. but wanted a fast retract. Crank the rod size up to 4" thick :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: I ran the calculations for ya:
16 gpm pump
5.8 sec extend
2.1 sec retract

That would work like a charm. Retract is fast and extend is powerful. Point will be made that during retract ya are usually fetching more wood anyway, but if you were nibbling a larger hunk down and turning it this and that way, it would help.

The Problem with your scenario, 5 inch Cylinder with 4 inch ram, Is that during the 2.1 second return stroke, the piston end of the cylinder has to return 43.65 GPM of oil to the tank (5 inch ram x 18 inch stroke = 353 cubic inches of oil, or 1. 528 gallons, 1.528 gallons in 2.1 seconds = 43.65 gpm...)

According to my Eaton Hydraulics book, 3/4 inch hose is Marginal for that flow rate, not to mention the valve that the oil has to go through....

I actually have this valve on my splitter, it works really well, now I do not claim to understand HOW it works, I just know it does. I can quickly extend the ram quickly until it gets into tough going, then bring the lever back to the next detent and it has normal speed & power. Return speed is still slow, but it has a detent for it and kicks out when the ram is all the way back. It's a nice upgrade for my old home built splitter my dad built 30 years ago.

Rich

There went that idea...

The Problem with your scenario, 5 inch Cylinder with 4 inch ram, Is that during the 2.1 second return stroke, the piston end of the cylinder has to return 43.65 GPM of oil to the tank (5 inch ram x 18 inch stroke = 353 cubic inches of oil, or 1. 528 gallons, 1.528 gallons in 2.1 seconds = 43.65 gpm...)

According to my Eaton Hydraulics book, 3/4 inch hose is Marginal for that flow rate, not to mention the valve that the oil has to go through....

Maybe back the rod size off a little, but I get your point. A gallon and a half in 2 seconds would create a lot of heat. Well anyway, it was a thought.

Latest posts

Back