I want to experience kickback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few simple tips. Don't let the top front corner of the bar contact other objects(limbs, other logs, rocks etc.) Only let the bar contact what you are cutting. You'd be surprised how quick a small sapling can grab and pull or push the saw. Limbing and trimming small bushes can be tricky with all the small branches. I always take my cant hook with log jack to get logs off the ground if the wood is all tangled or to work with the pressure of the log to prevent pinching the bar. Always keep a good firm grip and footing. Kickbacks are extremely dangerous even with a small saw but avoiding them is fairly simple. That's why most homeowner saws come with the tip guard.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the vid Mr Kunte. Kickback sections starts at 15:30 of anyone wants to skip ahead.
Hi Ryan,

Haven't been called that on a forum before - Mike will do! Anyway, apologies are in order: I tried sharing the video using the "from 15:30" youtube sharing function, which obviously did not work! Thanks for the time-stamp - should save others plenty of time. B.T.W. that whole series is worth watching several times over: BC faller training standard course.

Keep well, and safe falling!

Hi Ryan,

Haven't been called that on a forum before - Mike will do! Anyway, apologies are in order: I tried sharing the video using the "from 15:30" youtube sharing function, which obviously did not work! Thanks for the time-stamp - should save others plenty of time. B.T.W. that whole series is worth watching several times over: BC faller training standard course.

Keep well, and safe falling!

Those BC vids are very informative and worth watching. A BIG thanks to @Ryan'smilling for the time stamp info.

Here is some of the best kickback footage you will see. As the narrator says: "Kickback is something you never want to experience - no even once!".

Excellent video & advice Like the advice from one of the most experienced fallers/loggers I know. Kick back is a bit like a big auto accident you don't want to be involved in it as you might not get to have another My advice to the OP re experience of kick back would be try to avoid at all cost

Just watching that fence video made my pucker factor kick to max tightness.....so does anybody know if the OP is still alive, or in the ER/morgue? Inquiring minds want to know....
Look back at my post with the video.
Crazy lucky that guy was, someone was watching out for him for sure.

Look back at my post with the video.
Crazy lucky that guy was, someone was watching out for him for sure.

Sorry I did not clarify my question very well, I was actually inquiring into the OP of this post :) I owuld think after watching just that one single video, he would either come to his sense's or he would be heavily injured..... :)

Sorry I did not clarify my question very well, I was actually inquiring into the OP of this post :) I would think after watching just that one single video, he would either come to his sense's or he would be heavily injured..... :)
You did fine, it was my lack of listening :oops:, sorry.
He hasn't been on since sept 29th, long enough to read a good amount of the responses, hopefully he will be back to report that he has decided to avoid kickback as much as he can.

You did fine, it was my lack of listening :oops:, sorry.
He hasn't been on since sept 29th, long enough to read a good amount of the responses, hopefully he will be back to report that he has decided to avoid kickback as much as he can.

Or he is one of those people that knows everything and just asks questions to see how many agree. Since no one agreed he took his ball and left the playground.

Or he is one of those people that knows everything and just asks questions to see how many agree. Since no one agreed he took his ball and left the playground.

But there are probably a dozen or more dumbasses like myself who truly thought we had experienced kickback and knew what we were dealing with that have had our eyes opened by this thread. I’m very familiar with kickback on circular saws and feel very confident dealing with it and controlling it. I’ve experienced minor kickback several times with chainsaws as well and felt I controlled it well there too. Seeing the instantaneous and violent kickbacks in some of these videos however drilled home to me that chainsaw kickback is a different and much more dangerous animal.

Up to this point I had regarded the main hazard of the chainsaw to be that long exposed bar that could cut to the bone in a fraction of a second. Kickback, meh, I was used to that. I kept both hands firmly on the saw and I could overpower it if it occurred. This thread really made me reassess that.

But there are probably a dozen or more dumbasses like myself who truly thought we had experienced kickback and knew what we were dealing with that have had our eyes opened by this thread. I’m very familiar with kickback on circular saws and feel very confident dealing with it and controlling it. I’ve experienced minor kickback several times with chainsaws as well and felt I controlled it well there too. Seeing the instantaneous and violent kickbacks in some of these videos however drilled home to me that chainsaw kickback is a different and much more dangerous animal.

Up to this point I had regarded the main hazard of the chainsaw to be that long exposed bar that could cut to the bone in a fraction of a second. Kickback, meh, I was used to that. I kept both hands firmly on the saw and I could overpower it if it occurred. This thread really made me reassess that.

Glad you’re smart enough to learn and not the hard way. Generally, when something goes wrong, it’s over before you realize it even happened.

Yeah I gotta agree with you on that, I thought I had seen kickback till i saw that video..like I said my pucker factor maxed. Sad thing is I have cut "close" to fences before, obviously I have never caught a link, but after watching that I think somebody upstairs likes having me around just to laugh at. I had some kickback with my 372 right after I got it where the tip caught on a log behind the one I was bucking...that woke me up quite a bit but that video...damn....

I'm still a bit of a beginner in the chainsaw world, but have taken it upon myself to learn everything i can about them and how they're used, i was using a ms461 over the weekend to buck a massive 50" ( just for you imperial folk ) tree that had fallen across a 4x4 track that i wanted to go through, only having 18" of cutting chain on my saw ( dogs take up 2" of a 20" bar ) i had to get creative and quater each round, there was a few moments of cutting horizontal where i new kick back was a risk and did get a few kicks, but the saw being horitontal with wood eaither side i knew i was fairly safe, but yeah its not something i want to experience unexpectedly with the bar vertical, the way i was cutting is a bit more diffucult to explain over text so hopfully you get my photo, it was a damn big tree, i ended up running out of 2 stroke, patience and time, being fairly deep in a forest i thought bettet to qccept defeat and go home

Attachments

• 20171014_155226.jpg
    20171014_155226.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
I'm still a bit of a beginner in the chainsaw world, but have taken it upon myself to learn everything i can about them and how they're used, i was using a ms461 over the weekend to buck a massive 50" ( just for you imperial folk ) tree that had fallen across a 4x4 track that i wanted to go through, only having 18" of cutting chain on my saw ( dogs take up 2" of a 20" bar ) i had to get creative and quater each round, there was a few moments of cutting horizontal where i new kick back was a risk and did get a few kicks, but the saw being horitontal with wood eaither side i knew i was fairly safe, but yeah its not something i want to experience unexpectedly with the bar vertical, the way i was cutting is a bit more diffucult to explain over text so hopfully you get my photo, it was a damn big tree, i ended up running out of 2 stroke, patience and time, being fairly deep in a forest i thought bettet to qccept defeat and go home
thats a lot of firewood sitting there.....what kind of tree is it? does it burn well? :)

thats a lot of firewood sitting there.....what kind of tree is it? does it burn well? :)

I'm not really a tree aficionado yet, possibly a Aussie gum tree, was fairly rotten which is probably why it fell, would probably burn alright :)

I just watched a video of a guy getting his saw into a chain link fence. After watching it I agree that there will be no point to trying to create a kickback event. I doubt I could create anything that severe with just using wood and if I could I would not want to. No way to prepare for that other than just doing your best to avoid it.

Wow I thought it was clucking Billy Ray Smith. Like when the owner or person in possession of a valuable object sells it for a very small amount of its value to a pawn shop and then goes and spends the 5 or 10 dollars on some rock as in the kind that BLING BLING from bumfights is or was into and willing to give everything besides his right toenail for especially after getting a couple days into his bender making that last hit even more worthless(tolerance builds up very fast and the first is the only one that should count in theory since I can't or maybe it's wont say I really have the experience to comment. How did he not know that he was doing something really retarded. I wouldn't think many people ever would do that intentionally but to often in this instance have I been proven wrong.

Latest posts

Back