I was inspired by you guys...thanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Came home yesterday needing to shorten some pieces and after cruising this site came up with this quick idea based on some previous threads I found here. I want to thank elektrobot for posting his pictures that gave me this idea. As you can see it's a logholder that I threw together that's not being used for storage right now. Figured I'd use it for holding some of the longer pieces to be cut to length. Worked out extremely well! Hats off to you guys and this site for the inspiration you gave me!!

We are pretty clever.

Looks good.. always nice to make short work out little things

nice!

now...what do you do with all the little pieces?

With us, we toss them in the firebox of our old Century Crawford cookstove. I've got to have the better part of a half cord of odds 'n' ends that will supplement the full-length supply. Some of the odd sized pieces are from my own cutting. A bunch more is from a local firewood dealer who lets me take 'em away. A win-win. I get the heat and he doesn;t need to have the disposal guy who charges by the load come by as often.

The ends are great for days when you only want a small fire - or for when we're cooking and need high heat for the duration of when we're baking or cooking on the stovetop.

i keep a separate pile for the small ones...or chunks.

heck...they burn just as good as any other wood.

Don't I wish...!

nice work and by the size of your arms it looks like youve been around a splittin mall a time or two :cheers:

country boy,

Never really used a maul but after reading the thread by Gypo Logger titled Firewood the Fun Way and seeing all that wood he split by hand I'm gonna give that some serious consideration! Did a lot of weightlifting to pack on some muscle. I'm sure splitting with a maul will take quite a bit of time to master but I'm up for the challenge. Besides, it's got to be a fantastic way to get some upper body exercise!

Last edited:
I save the small cutoffs for my ice fishing shack. I made the stove out of a old 20# propane tank, it heats the shack toasty warm.

country boy,

Never really used a maul but after reading the thread by Gypo Logger titled Firewood the Fun Way and seeing all that wood he split by hand I'm gonna give that some serious consideration! Did a lot of weightlifting to pack on some muscle. I'm sure splitting with a maul will take quite a bit of time to master but I'm up for the challenge. Besides, it's got to be a fantastic way to get some upper body exercise!

I'd kinda like to split with a maul but it's kinda hard to make myself do it when I've got that old gas powered splitter sitting there. :D I might try it when I retire so I can stay in shape.

Nice job on that rig after cutting wood more this summer more than ever I wished I had taken the time to do something like that (especially for my backs sake!!) Cutting wood sure beats the elipitical trainer!! I have lots of weight equip. but man is it nicer to be outside killing 2 birds with one stone!! Again sweet rig keep it up!! irishcountry

nice!

now...what do you do with all the little pieces?

I wind up with a lot of those, and I do something REALLY radical with them:

I toss them in the woodstove. They make good firewood, oddly enough. :laugh:

I keep 'em in a bin made of pallets, 2 pallets for the bottom, and some sides. Works for me.

I'm sure splitting with a maul will take quite a bit of time to master but I'm up for the challenge. Besides, it's got to be a fantastic way to get some upper body exercise!

It is that. Don't try to muscle your way through at first. Speed is power. Speed comes with repetition, and so does accuracy. Just work on being smooth and accurate. Speed and power will come.

:cheers:

I like that camo-strap. The last sets I bought are getting sun faded and the next step is they will break when needed most.

Where did you pick those up at ?

Nice looking work there!.....Here's my setup for cutting the ones that are too long.....Not near as fancy but hey it works.....:cheers:

longwood.jpg

woodpiles.jpg

country boy,

I do quite a bit of weightlifting too, but it is not the upper body workout you would think it would be. But, it is a fantastic cardio workout. After two or three hours of it, I am pretty drained.

Also, I firmly believe that hand splitting is much faster than splitting with a gas splitter. Get yourself and old tire so you can put your quarters in their and then you can split like five or six times without having to bend over and pick up.

C

It is that. Don't try to muscle your way through at first. Speed is power. Speed comes with repetition, and so does accuracy. Just work on being smooth and accurate. Speed and power will come.

:cheers:

+1 on that. I always quarter my rounds before lifting them into the truck and once you get into the 36" + rounds, they can be tricky to bust open. Accuracy and placement is key!! Have to find that perfect place to bust it open and that will come with experience.

I can hit my target about 95% of the time at half power and 75% of the time at ball to the wall power. When I first started, if I could hit the target within 2", I was happy.

C

Latest posts

Back