ID my wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks the same as the stuff I had in my last load load logs. Wasn't sure myself, guys on here said basswood as well. Saw goes right through it, pretty light and soft. Pretty furry cuts after the saw goes through it.

Its cuts like basswood... But the stuff I cut and burned lat winter looks different than this. Perhaps its another type of Linden.

Another.

e67b6ed1b42cb19f4a2abd9f6ac172bd.jpg
3deff00a2ad01e61bb29b33171e6dff6.jpg

Bark gets smooth as the diameter decreases.

Sent from a field

Got another one. What is it?
1974336e514aec32794a3163e67afae8.jpg
2cad01df33f079487995756c15b4b831.jpg

i have one exactly like this i was wondering what it was, some pics i found of younger smaller cottonwood looked like it?beech?
it looks just like it mine is dead so bark pulls off in large pieces and is fury like that underneath
prob. dont make good boards with it ??
Sent from a field

I think he's put up multiple different species looking for ID's. Otherwise I'm really confused.

You're not confused.

My experience with trees was in the landscaping and moving areas. So I always handled them in their juvenile state. Seeing them in the wild fully grown and I'm like a lady of the night in church.

I've cut and split a fair bit of silver. It's not silver. I would say red for sure if it wasn't so dense and heavy. But the bark is giving me pause because it's different than the large red maple I took down for my neighbor.

Sent from a field

I've cut and split a fair bit of silver. It's not silver. I would say red for sure if it wasn't so dense and heavy. But the bark is giving me pause because it's different than the large red maple I took down for my neighbor.

Sent from a field
If it has buds like maple and smells like maple then it is. Red maple is really tricky because it can vary so much. Some is perfectly smooth and others can just about pass as shagbark and anywhere in between. And two totally different looking trees will be growing right next to each other.

Did some internet searching and I'm settling on the first one being red maple. Buds are a dead ringer.

The second I still don't know.

Sent from a field

Ok. Some more searching says the second one is referred to "ambrosia" maple. Not a specific species but an affliction from the ambrosia beetle that goes after soft maples. So I'm thinking they are both reds.

Sent from a field

Latest posts

Back