Idle and hot start issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ran my new to me Stihl 034 today and was pretty impressed! I ran it hard cutting hedge, locust, hackberry, elm, and a few others. Burned a couple tanks with the 18" bar buried and it pulls hard. So the issues I noticed, the saw won't idle very long maybe 10-15 seconds; the other issue, when the saw is warmed up an hot it will only start if the throttle is held open. I am sure this is a carb setting issue. I'm thinking open the idle screw an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn and then try to adjust the idle speed screw. Other ideas?

Some thoughts;
You didn't say where the saw came from.
If you buy a saw off ebay, C.L., etc, and it came from another region or elevation, your idle and High speed settings might not be suitable for where you are.

Make sure your air filter is clean and dry.(not oiled up).
If the flocked air filter is oily, or plugged, it's going to have trouble flowing enough air, and it'll make it run too rich.

My $.02

Softly bottom out the L screw then open it 1 turn out. Run the saw and adjust idle to fastest rpm, then richen it just a tad. Check throttle response. If it takes too long to return to idle rpm after you goose it, it's too lean. Very often it's easy to get way far from factory settings and it helps to get back to a baseline and start over.

If that fails to fix the issue, you must check the saw for a vacuum leak. Until you confirm that there is no leak, you'll be chasing your tail and replacing parts unnecessarily.

The low speed is too lean!
We all just like to debate. I'm sorry OP, this really has very little to do with us fixing your saw but you will have plenty of info to fix it as well additional info to fix your saws in the future. You won't even have to talk to us.
Seriously now.
"Won't Idle": This can draw argument for either side.
WON'T RUN:would have been most appropriate in the context given, if in fact that's what it is doing?
I raise my throttle to set up my low so your thoughts of raising the throttle just draws another assumption.

" NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

I haven't had much time to look into these issues, but I did try to adjust the idle the other day. I wasn't able to adjust it low enough to get the chain to stop spinning. So before I go any further, I will do a pressure/vac test and see what I find. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

I haven't had much time to look into these issues, but I did try to adjust the idle the other day. I wasn't able to adjust it low enough to get the chain to stop spinning.
With the saw off, move the chain by hand, if it's also trying to turn the engine, clutch drum bearing is dry or has issues, you will never get the idle low enough to get the chain to stop spinning with this condition, just another thing to check.

Latest posts

Back