If Dolmar is so good, then why so few dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question that I really don't understand at all. I have done my homework and have read a brazillion posts regarding the Dolmar 5100 saw and it seems to be very highly regarded by just about everyone.

The 5100 seems to be positioned somewhere between the Husky 346xp and the Stihl ms361 for less (sometimes, quite a bit less) than both.

At almost 4hp (3.8), and weighing around 11 lbs, many have said that it actually will cut just as fast as the 346xp (due to its similar 14.5 rpm's) and even perform better and stronger burying the bar in larger rounds or trees (due to more hp).

So, this is what I don't get. If this saw is such a fantastic performer, and is so cheap (around $380.00-ish retail), I would think that any dealer that had them simply could never keep them in stock as they would all sell out instantly.

So, the question once again. If the saw is so good, and so cheap, why are there so few dealers?. I would think that any power equip dealer would jump to pick up this line.....[confused!!]. Am I missing something here??

FYI, ther is no *real* Dolmar dealer in our state. I wonder if anyone sells them over the internet?

I called the only Dolmar dealer I have in my area before I bought my Husky 365 in March. I wanted to check the 5100 out. They didn't even stock the 5100, they had a 510 instead. They also didn't stock to many parts for the saws they sold either. The guy said he had to order his parts from a distributor in New Jersey. I tried! ;)

Last edited:
Marketing for Dolmar in the US just flat sucks. They build great saws though, I have ran a 5100 and a few 7900's. I believe there are a few dealers on this site if you don't mind ordering one.

This is a serious question that I really don't understand at all. I have done my homework and have read a brazillion posts regarding the Dolmar 5100 saw and it seems to be very highly regarded by just about everyone.

The 5100 seems to be positioned somewhere between the Husky 346xp and the Stihl ms361 for less (sometimes, quite a bit less) than both.

At almost 4hp (3.8), and weighing around 11 lbs, many have said that it actually will cut just as fast as the 346xp (due to its similar 14.5 rpm's) and even perform better and stronger burying the bar in larger rounds or trees (due to more hp).

So, this is what I don't get. If this saw is such a fantastic performer, and is so cheap (around $380.00-ish retail), I would think that any dealer that had them simply could never keep them in stock as they would all sell out instantly.

So, the question once again. If the saw is so good, and so cheap, why are there so few dealers?. I would think that any power equip dealer would jump to pick up this line.....[confused!!]. Am I missing something here??

FYI, ther is no *real* Dolmar dealer in our state. I wonder if anyone sells them over the internet?

You forgot one thing. The 5100 is a real chick magnet as well. Can't hardly fight them off!

Dolmar's USA distribution is poor because they have low sales volume because they have poor distribution because...

It is a cycle that DolmarUSA is unwilling to break. They have to make the first move, to generate enough critical mass to get things going.

I have yet to find ANYONE who is not impressed with the performance of the 5100 and 7900. They are just flat-out good saws. But they're high-end, pro saws, and most dealers around here live and eat on the homeowner and lawn service market. There is only one saw shop where I live that services the major tree companies and major municipalities, and has a client base with a high level of interest in pro-grade saws. Most homeowner saw users that I know balk at the prospect of paying more than $250 for a saw; as much as we hate to admit it, the AS crowd is the exception and not the rule.

Dolmar needs to understand that their saws can and will sell themselves, assuming you can get them in front of would-be buyers. But when even the "dealers" won't stock the product, why would most buyers stray from the perfectly serviceable (and often great) products from Stihl, Husqvarna, or Jonsered?

There is more than one reason for this situation.

First, the awareness of Dolmar in the general market is not even close to what it is on this site. Most people are not at all familiar with the brand. For the most part, only guys in the business really know what they are. People in general are comfortable buying brands that they are familiar with, and they shy away from unknowns.

Another thing is that for all the buzz about the 5100, and the 7900, the rest of the line doesn't generate very much excitement, even on AS. And you need more than 2 performers in the catelog to do well with a brand. When a dealer has Husky or Stihl, they are used to selling most of the models in the lineup, as well as other products like trimmers and blowers. Dealers who can't get either of the top two dogs might be able to sell a broader range of the product line, but it's an up hill battle with brand recognition. It takes time to get that recognition, and it can be done as the boys up at The Cutting Edge have proven. But they have had the line for a long time. To grab the line and try to pioneer it in todays market is tough job. We've done it in our market with Red Max, but again, it takes years to get it done.

And a brand can't afford mis-steps along the way as the market is very unforgiving to a new guy who makes mistakes. If they don't have good parts support, any momentum grinds to a screeching halt, and it's over. The customers and dealers both lose faith and no amount of sales BS will fix it.

One thing that is usually in the minds of pro cutters is that with Husky or Stihl, no matter where they may be working, they aren't very far from a dealer. With Dolmar, they obviously don't have that advantage.

What it really comes down to is that no matter how good the product is, it's just one piece of the puzzle in marketing the brand.

Had a Husky homeowner customer here this morning ranting on how he WON"T buy another Husky. I dont know the model but it was less than a week out of warranty period and had a Air Leak somewhere that was a sealer not a gasket issue and his dealer nor husky would not do anything for him. They told him to throw it away cause it would cost too much to fix it. He comes here to me looking for a non throw away type of saw and is deciding between the PS6400 and the PS5100 and will be back tomorrow to make his purchase. Sure I could have pushed him into a sale today but im not that pushy of a guy..

As far as a dealer base goes. Sachs-Dolmar first then Dolmar USA after had used independent distributors since they were first imported to the USA in 1979. Distributors were always at war with each other over territory's and yes they moved units but their was many many dist changes through those years. Now with the IDN system in place the support from Dolmar for the most part is great but they do not have a dealer list that was worth a ch!t to look at. It will take time to weed out the poor type dealers and find the Great Dealers that can do the job correctly. All I can do is my best for my customers and I have made many new customers through this website that I treat with the same respect that I give my walk ins.

Scott

Last edited:
I have to agree with spike that the brand recognition is not there with the homeowner crowd. I would not have known about Dolmar, if not for this site (and I have a dealer a mile from my house).

In searching for a 5100 locally, I found that all the Dolmar dealers in my area focused on the lower priced, homeowner models. One or two also stocked the 6400 or 7900, but most of those were demos (for the personal use of the store owner). I think that most of the dealers in my area sell primarily to homeowners and don't think they will get anyone to take the step up in price to the 5100 over the 510 (even though it's not that great).

I do think that if they started stocking the 5100, it would create a market for itself. The hard part of that from their standpoint is deciding whether to stock a product and try to creat a demand for it, or to wait for a demand and then stock the product to supply it.

I also have to agree with rb_in_va, that thing is a chick magnet :rock: Sometimes I have to cut a branch just to beat them off with :D

All I can do is my best for my customers and I have made many new customers through this website that I treat with the same respect that I give my walk ins.

Scott

Big hint to all those that are hesitant to buy a Dolmar because of support!

buy from The Cutting Edge!

but it's an up hill battle with brand recognition. It takes time to get that recognition, and it can be done as the boys up at The Cutting Edge have proven. But they have had the line for a long time. To grab the line and try to pioneer it in todays market is tough job. We've done it in our market with Red Max, but again, it takes years to get it done.
Taking on a new line: Most of the lines of equipment I sell today I have pioneered since the start for those companys with basically one exception eXmark.. That is a line we took on 3 years ago now and it is not easy taking on a line even as well known as eXmark is we as a dealer need to familiarize our selves with the new stuff as well as ANY OLDER Equipment out there that we did not sell. ITS NOT EASY. Even today if I took on Husky or Stihl I could not do overnight justice to then as I am not as familiar to then as I am the Dolmar line.

Scott

I dont see why Domars other saws arent talked about much. The PS-460 competes with the Stihl 250 and the Husky 345 and is a much better built machine, and you can get it with 3/8 chain. Yes it does weigh more but it is the better saw and costs the same, I would handle the extra weight.

I also hear that the 3410 climb saw is a reasonably good entry in that market.....

Too bad Dolmar's market share is so far down the ladder, as the product is excellent. I have 2 5100S's, and 2 7900's--great saws....well built, class leading power. Minor issues are the oil leak issue with the 7900, and the apparant lack of availability of a full wrap handle for it.

I dont see why Domars other saws arent talked about much. The PS-460 competes with the Stihl 250 and the Husky 345 and is a much better built machine, and you can get it with 3/8 chain. Yes it does weigh more but it is the better saw and costs the same, I would handle the extra weight.

Extra weight??? what... a pound or less?:help:

Gary

I also hear that the 3410 climb saw is a reasonably good entry in that market.....

Too bad Dolmar's market share is so far down the ladder, as the product is excellent. I have 2 5100S's, and 2 7900's--great saws....well built, class leading power. Minor issues are the oil leak issue with the 7900, and the apparant lack of availability of a full wrap handle for it.

Rog, where do you find dealer support here in the PNW... I have yet to even see a Dolmar/Makita saw, little alone a dealer.

I would try a Dolmar before a Husqvarna anyday.

Gary

Probably because the 250 and 345 are not talked about much. I know people speak quite favorably about the 510, just not as much as the 5100 and 7900.

And Steve128, that was a good one!

Extra weight??? what... a pound or less?:help:

Gary

12.1 for the Dolmar PS-460
10.1 for the Stihl 250
10.4 for the Husky 345

Some people on here will bash the Dolmar because of the weight that is the only reason I mentioned it. Other than that it is by far a better saw then the other two and cost the same.

Dolmar's USA distribution is poor because they have low sales volume because they have poor distribution because...

It is a cycle that DolmarUSA is unwilling to break. They have to make the first move, to generate enough critical mass to get things going.

Dolmar/Makita has to take a chance and make an investment in the market, proving they are willing to play with the big boys. Unfortunately, in most of the country, Husky is in nearly the same boat as Dolmar. They need a real dealer base that knows that they aren't going to get screwed in a few months when the winds change. Stihl is successful because they made the painful decisions vs going after the fast way to big sales numbers. They chose to "dance with the devil" in the big boxes in order to gain quick market share. Dolmar hasn't made any real commitment to dealers outside of a few isolated areas. They need to hit a sort of "critical mass" in the marketplace. Their products are great, it's just trying to get solid distribution nationally. If they get a few dealers like Scott around the country, and make some strong commitments to them for long term support, they will be a player. Right now, they are too much of a sideshow, which is unfortunate.

Mark

12.1 for the Dolmar PS-460
10.1 for the Stihl 250
10.4 for the Husky 345

Some people on here will bash the Dolmar because of the weight that is the only reason I mentioned it. Other than that it is by far a better saw then the other two and cost the same.

I hear ya... but I never have understood how 1 or 2 pounds will make someone not buy a particular saw...

10 pounds sure... but less than 2 just seems odd to me... but then again, that's me...:popcorn:

Gary

Latest posts

Back